Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Be the GM for the Heat or the Cavaliers, and tell James how the franchise should be run and see how that works out for your job security. You may win every battle but you will be #### canned by the end of the season.

And that's the risk we all run.  You don't win unless you play.

4 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

What can I say to you to stop asking me these questions?  This is what, number five?  Getting kind of tiresome @Stu.  I've obviously triggered something.

Answer the question and I will stop, if 'many' current DCI GE judges are out of touch with new artistic designs and should retire, why then are new designs placing on top currently in DCI and not traditional designs?

Edited by Stu

Just now, DeusExGreenMachina said:

And that's the risk we all run.  You don't win unless you play.

All I'm saying is, judges don't create the rules, and they don't determine whether the rules were followed. DCI is in fact engineered to be fantastically predictable.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

All I'm saying is, judges don't create the rules, and they don't determine whether the rules were followed. DCI is in fact engineered to be fantastically predictable.

True, the top 7 to 12 lead the charge on determining rules, adjudication interpretation of rules, and progression of artistic change. That is why the current DCI judges do, in fact, keep up with artistic progression and do, in fact, place those new designs ahead of traditional designs. I know not one single DCI judge that should retire because they refuse to keep up with those artistic and intrpritive changes. That is why I am pressing the original poster to get a definitive response on who or how many DCI judges should retire.

3 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

@ContraFart Interesting.  The wild placement of the individual captions is why corps are placed all over the place.  No idea why there are conspiracies.  Caption scores tend to be all over the place.  I tend to think the general public don't look at the recaps from show-to-show.  Some interesting stuff.

Actually I think you are wrong there. Placement of certain captions were pretty consistent and if there was a change from night to night it was within .15. From semis to finals there was a shift in the colorguard score of .5 when SCV was winning that caption pretty consistently, but all of a sudden losing by .3. 

This phenomena is not limited to this season. Last season Crown was also consistency winning guard then there was a huge shift in score on finals night that put BD on top. The skill level in the top corps is so close, I think there is no Justification for a .5 point shift in just one day.

I don't think judging is so much rigged as.....pointless.

In today's DCI, whomever shows up with the most over-the-top suite of electronics, choreography, props and extraneous instruments and soloists is going to win G.E.  And G.E. > everything else.  A corps could sweep captions and still come in 2nd or 3rd if they don't do enough scatter drill and dancing.  And that's precisely the way the corps directors want it to be, regardless of whether it serves to delegitimize the entire point of competition or not.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Wow.  You're kidding right?  You really need to get more involved.  Please start trial judging.  You really don't know who engineers the sheets?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Answer the question and I will stop, if 'many' current DCI GE judges are out of touch with new artistic designs and should retire, why then are new designs placing on top currently in DCI and not traditional designs?

Interesting.  I never said 'DCI GE judges are out of touch with new artistic designs and should retire.'  However, if I ever said such a thing, and could cogently and compellingly prove my point, I'd suggest that those who have been judging since the 70's and 80's should consider moving aside for those that are more modern.  

My original post was geared towards a more proactive approach to fans and current judges, but you tend to take it to more aggressive approach.  I appreciate that.  I also thank you for that.

What I think he is suggesting is that there is a pretty big split in the judging community, between those who want the old school and those who want the new school. The new school is steeped in WGI and not necessarily focused on live music performance. The results may be consistent between them, but how they get there is very different. 

I would expect that the judges have the same sort of arguments and disagreements we have here. 

In the end, like it or not, none of the judges determine what the direction of the activity should be. The corps directors do. And judges who disagree with their decisions will either judge according to the corps directors' desires, or their own personal beliefs. If the latter happens, you can bet they won't be judging much longer.

I would bet there are a whole lot of very experienced judges who do not agree with the way they are expected to judge playing member body movements. They may give in and judge according to how the big six directors tell them to judge, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of disagreement away from the earshot of those directors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

A corps could sweep captions and still come in 2nd or 3rd if they don't do enough scatter drill and dancing.

Good point.  That's what I'm talking about.  We judge the sheets.  And we're all individuals with individual opinions in our separate captions.  This type of stuff can call a show.  

It's scary

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

there is a pretty big split in the judging community, between those who want the old school and those who want the new school.

This.  Right here.  Yep.

• Like 1