Highlights of Your DC Days

Many of you marched in different eras. For me, it was the 1970's. Here are my highlights and I hope you post yours.

First competition at Endicott, NY 1971...Watkins Glen Squires won!

Phantom Regiment at our show in North Tonawanda in 1974...WOW!

US Open in Marion, Oh 1972, 73 and 74.

Winning Class A at NT Open 1976....May not have been significant to most but to us is was a huge deal! Sadly, our corps director quit before we left for DCI in Philly and we were just not very motivated.

Teaching Renegades (NY) in 1982

Teaching Rochester Patriots 1985 -89

Brass caption for Hoechster Schlossgarde, DCD Champions (Germany) 1986-88.

Brass Staff Rochester Crusaders, working with Donnie Allen and Steve Cooley! 2001 -2003

Brass Staff Heatwave 

• Like 1

I'll bite.  Most of the most memorable are 1st of something.

All with Les Diplomates as FH, Lead Soprano and horn instructor:

1965 - Appearance at Carnegie Hall  - the aspiring musician in me took in all the significance.  Finally didn't become a professional in music, but did end up as an Engineer.

1965 - 1st competition with Les Dips at Toronto Shriners - 1st time was on the same field as Cabs.

1965 - 1st Canadian DC Championship

1966 - Dream

1970-73 - Member of Les Dips production team and horn instructor.

1973 - 4th place DCA, 1st in drums.

2007 -  DCA Alumni show as part of Les Dips Alumni corps.

I noticed just a few minutes ago that this section is for historic junior corps and all my experience has been with  senior corps.  It is true, however, that until 1970 I was at junior age, i.e. less than 23 years, so that should count.:lle:

Edited by Bob P.
Forgotten fact.
  • Like 1

"All with Les Diplomates as FH, Lead Soprano and horn instructor:"

Les Diplomates...one of my favorite corps of all time!

Those people were light years ahead of everybody in the GE category when I competed with them in the Sunrisers.  We absolutely loved those guys, and the gorgeous gals as well.

Canadian corps always had a joi de vivre that electrified audiences, and the Dips were the epitome of that. My hat is off to hem to this day.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2017 at 7:00 PM, Bob P. said:

I'll bite.  Most of the most memorable are 1st of something.

All with Les Diplomates as FH, Lead Soprano and horn instructor:

1965 - Appearance at Carnegie Hall  - the aspiring musician in me took in all the significance.  Finally didn't become a professional in music, but did end up as an Engineer.

1965 - 1st competition with Les Dips at Toronto Shriners - 1st time was on the same field as Cabs.

1965 - 1st Canadian DC Championship

1966 - Dream

1970-73 - Member of Les Dips production team and horn instructor.

1973 - 4th place DCA, 1st in drums.

2007 -  DCA Alumni show as part of Les Dips Alumni corps.

I noticed just a few minutes ago that this section is for historic junior corps and all my experience has been with  senior corps.  It is true, however, that until 1970 I was at junior age, i.e. less than 23 years, so that should count.:lle:

The best finish in DCA for a Canadian corps ever lot to be proud of there.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, ironlips said:

Those people were light years ahead of everybody in the GE category when I competed with them in the Sunrisers.  We absolutely loved those guys, and the gorgeous gals as well.

Canadian corps always had a joi de vivre that electrified audiences, and the Dips were the epitome of that. My hat is off to hem to this day.

Thanks for the kind words - Sun was always one of my favourites, mostly for their classical music bent and wonderful arrangements.  Les Dips also had a penchant for the classics - '66 was all classics Cole Porter, Ravel, Sousa Tchaikowsky, Mascagni and Ireland.  I consider Porter melodies to be classics.  Too bad we couldn't execute them (tough arrangements) as well as Sun did theirs.  Salut, Bob p.

On 8/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, ironlips said:

"LesDiplomates":

1964 World Senior Open Finals:  Dips absoultly  GASSED the overflow crowd with that "Revolving Box" drill feature  :thumbup: and their great GE program!!!!!!!    

Great memories!!!!!!

Elphaba   :flower:

14 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"LesDiplomates":

1964 World Senior Open Finals:  Dips absoultly  GASSED the overflow crowd with that "Revolving Box" drill feature  :thumbup: and their great GE program!!!!!!!    

Great memories!!!!!!

Elphaba   :flower:

Too bad that we were in the "ticks" era or we would have scored better!  Judges didn't know how to evaluate the "box" and ticked us like crazy, negating the GE points we got.  But it didn't negate the applause and appreciation from the crowd! 

18 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Too bad that we were in the "ticks" era or we would have scored better!  Judges didn't know how to evaluate the "box" and ticked us like crazy, negating the GE points we got.  But it didn't negate the applause and appreciation from the crowd! 

I distinctly remember a photo that appeared in DCN where a Judge got caught in the middle of "the Box" as it collapsed, holding his clipboard high above his head ... a true classic!

It must have been great playing with one of the major corps of the era like the Skyliners, Blessed Sacrament or anyone the corps that made the Dream.  But, for a lot of us it was great just to play in a small town corps.  We went from a small drum, bugle and glock corps to a M&M corps in the 7 years I marched.  The highlights included getting single valve bugles and later adding on the rotary valve.  But the real highlights were being with a bunch of friends whether marching in a parade, performing on the field, playing for people in hospitals, or our Christmas parties.  There was nothing better then marching in a volunteer fire department parade, going to the carnival and the bus ride (yellow school bus) home with your girl sitting next to you.   And just having a great time.

1 hour ago, Grenadier said:

It must have been great playing with one of the major corps of the era like the Skyliners, Blessed Sacrament or anyone the corps that made the Dream.  But, for a lot of us it was great just to play in a small town corps.  We went from a small drum, bugle and glock corps to a M&M corps in the 7 years I marched.  The highlights included getting single valve bugles and later adding on the rotary valve.  But the real highlights were being with a bunch of friends whether marching in a parade, performing on the field, playing for people in hospitals, or our Christmas parties.  There was nothing better then marching in a volunteer fire department parade, going to the carnival and the bus ride (yellow school bus) home with your girl sitting next to you.   And just having a great time.

Yes, it was great appearing at those venues, but I still cherish the memories of marching in the smaller corps before joining the "big" corps.  I started at 11 yrs in two small junior corps and experienced  all what you have so eloquently described, including the freezing snow and cold Santa Claus parades in Quebec!  By age 17 yrs I was ready to "graduate" to the big corps (Les Dips) and passed the audition - that perhaps was also a highlight.

All great memories and formative.