Late night thoughts: Amplification & Electronics from the Judging standpoint

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

Guess no one can play Short Ride, in a Fast Machine ever again.

I remember hearing an early-season tape where a judge said "That woodblock is REALLY distracting from your show!"

I think Hop had to school the guy after his eyes stopped rolling.

54 minutes ago, garfield said:

I remember hearing an early-season tape where a judge said "That woodblock is REALLY distracting from your show!"  I think Hop had to school the guy after his eyes stopped rolling.

One of the old school judges perhaps?

19 hours ago, Ediker said:

Yup.

They were 1st in Music Analysis, all three nights.

In GE Music, both judges had them 3rd at prelims and semis.

On finals night, one GE Music judge had them 2nd. The other judge dropped them to 5th.

One judge was prepared to whack their placement... slightly

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

Correct, they remained 3rd in GE after crunching all of the GE sub scores. While one GE Music judge dropped them to 5th, the other raised them to 2nd, softening the blow. The point was that one brave judge appeared ready to be "that guy", and throw a number that better reflected the shortcomings in the show that night. 

http://recaps.competitionsuite.com/1b7406bd-65dc-41b2-b028-f8cac3826e80.htm

The 2 GE Music Judges were McGahey and Davis. Stone and Gray were visual. DCI shuffled the order of GE judges to Visual, Music, Music, Visual.

So Crown was 2nd (19.5) and 3rd (19.3) in GE Music Finals night. Overall 3rd (19.4 average) in GE Music. SCV was 19.525 GE Music average.

9 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

http://recaps.competitionsuite.com/1b7406bd-65dc-41b2-b028-f8cac3826e80.htm

The 2 GE Music Judges were McGahey and Davis. Stone and Gray were visual. DCI shuffled the order of GE judges to Visual, Music, Music, Visual.

So Crown was 2nd (19.5) and 3rd (19.3) in GE Music Finals night. Overall 3rd (19.4 average) in GE Music. SCV was 19.525 GE Music average.

In looking at the second two GE scores (Music), Crown is 2nd and 5th.  DrumScorps recap has those two subcaptions listed under GE Music. One of those recaps has either the headings or judges listed incorrectly, or you're mistaken about who was judging what. Please check out the Drumscorps recap, which labels each sub caption, instead of putting the judge's name. 

Edited by Ediker
added open parenthesis

6 minutes ago, Ediker said:

In looking at the second two GE scores (Music), Crown is 2nd and 5th.  DrumScorps recap has those two subcaptions listed under GE Music. One of those recaps has either the headings or judges listed incorrectly, or you're mistaken about who was judging what. Please check out the Drumscorps recap, which labels each sub caption, instead of putting the judge's name. 

if you would compare the sheets from DCI and Drumscorps you'd see that they are in the same order. Just because Drumscorps put Music 1 and Music 2 over numbers doesn't mean they are correct.

Edited by snare_guy_83

15 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

if you would compare the sheets from DCI and Drumscorps you'd see that they are in the same order. Just because Drumscorps put Music 1 and Music 2 over numbers doesn't mean they are correct.

I did compare them. You're telling me that DrumScorps has the GE headings incorrect and no one has pointed it out to them all season?

Edited by Ediker

41 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I did compare them. So you're telling me that DrumScorps has the GE headings incorrect. 

Yes, Drumscorps has the headings incorrect.

Look at the heading differences for GE Judges from Allentown. This is when the switched up order started.
Allentown Day 1
http://recaps.competitionsuite.com/36177a92-0d3a-4912-b440-bd574c33a0ff.htm
Allentown Day 2
http://recaps.competitionsuite.com/2f41f1db-de44-4697-a4e9-c161c67c2a5b.htm
All of the scores are in the same order on drumscorps as dci.org, but the order of judges changes from Friday to Saturday.

As for Finals:
Darrin Davis is the Director of Bands at Broken Arrow HS 
Mark McGahey is Director of Bands at Keller High School in Keller, TX
Mike Gray served as the Ensemble Analysis Facilitator and caption head for WGI and has been an Ensemble Visual, General Effect and Color Guard judge for DCI and a Visual Effect judge for BOA.
Mike Stone judges WGI Color Guard GE

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

As for Finals:
Darrin Davis is the Director of Bands at Broken Arrow HS 
Mark McGahey is Director of Bands at Keller High School in Keller, TX
Mike Gray served as the Ensemble Analysis Facilitator and caption head for WGI and has been an Ensemble Visual, General Effect and Color Guard judge for DCI and a Visual Effect judge for BOA.
Mike Stone judges WGI Color Guard GE

Ooooh . . . .

Looks like none of them are employed as electrical sound equipment engineers!

Just now, Ediker said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  It's surprising that a whole thread was not devoted to the inaccurate recap headings... or maybe I missed it. 

Most people didn't know. I noticed the switch up at Allentown because I'm a data analyst, so I like to track the numbers. Then watched for it during championships.

At shows that aren't regionals or championships there is a Visual focused GE judge and a Music focused GE judge that make a the GE Panel. So during championships there were essentially 2 "GE Panels" with a Visual & Music judge each. 

Ultimately the math of the total GE score isn't affected by the order, but understating the averaged Music GE and/or Visual GE is unless to know which judges should be paired together.

I hope DCI doesn't do it again moving forward. This hadn't been the case in years past. Not sure why it would be so hard to call out each judge for what they are focused on, they do it for the other 7 judges with the full panel. 

• Like 1