Hitting Hard 2018

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfuhr2FldA

Someone told me it would have been too morbid to have a scream from a speaker by the burning prop.  And burning, stabbings, and hangings isn't morbid?  I was hoping they would have completed the scene.  The fading of the singers voice was nice and I believe the fading of a scream would have been a perfect ending.

it would have had to have been done in a Bahstahn accent and Brasso is overage already.

Edited by xandandl

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

No where has it been publicly said that Cadets have to do a Bernstein show;

What, 'exactly', is the three year contract YEA has with the Bernstein family that was referenced in the theater broadcast?

Anniversaries seem to matter. As already noted, that could boost the drive to advance from Cavies and Madison. Blue Knights and Troopers also have anniversary years in 2018. And especially BK - but perhaps Troopers as well - could leverage a well-designed anniversary show to grab higher placements.

Elsewhere (maybe Madison 2018 thread) an insider (apparently) noted that Scouts had big numbers of first timers this year. If big numbers of those are retained, I can see a lot of hunger from the Scouts to demonstrate they are back and ready to move beyond 11-12 ranks.

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

Cadets in the early 90's did various songs from Bernstein which generated lots of audience and young folk appeal. 

We're about 2 decades out of the 90's. Young folk appeal back then isn't necessarily the same as it is now. 

Hopefully you don't end up exaggerating what I'm saying. My main message is just that cultural norms change. It's definitely possible that the Cadets can do Bernstein successfully, but it will have to be beyond a traditional arrangement and concept in my opinion 

Edited by Cappybara

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We're about 2 decades out of the 90's. Young folk appeal back then isn't necessarily the same as it is now. 

Hopefully you don't end up exaggerating what I'm saying. My main message is just that cultural norms change. It's definitely possible that the Cadets can do Bernstein successfully, but it will have to be beyond a traditional arrangement and concept in my opinion 

Agreed.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

What, 'exactly', is the three year contract YEA has with the Bernstein family that was referenced in the theater broadcast?

for three years (17-19) Cadets have permission from the rights holders to play Bernstein's compositions. Royalties have been adjusted and bonds with the NY Philharmonic and the corps networked to do joint concert(s) in June 2018 in NYC.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I hope and pray the activity can embrace or at least support everything from Bernstein to Mad Max. 

The difficult thing is, if you do Bernstein, imho you have to trust your design and the audience, and embrace subtlety and nuance. Not exactly strong points for GH. But even though my favorite corps and recent shows are Bluecoats, I refuse to give up on classical concepts. They just need to be done in a way that is respectful to the medium.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Cadets may be limited as to what they can do by the Bernstein estate. As has been recounted on DCP in the past, and as any school or local theater group that has wanted to do "West Side Story" knows, they are extremely protective of the integrity of his works, as they have every right to be, and it would not surprise me if there are some objections by the Bernstein estate to portions of the show being distributed on DVD this year. It could be a Madison "Empire State of Mind" all over again. Then again, "Mass" is not as iconic as "Candide," "On the Town," or "West Side Story" so maybe there will be no brouhaha at all.

Traditional means different things to different people. I think traditional if it is indeed traditional can always work, but style  can change,  so a 90's stylistic show would not work, but if Cadets returned to their tradition, great music performed well with incredible drill, audiences would love it and they could be pleasantly surprised. They have not medaled since 2014 and while I enjoyed that show (I know, many did not), some would argue they have not had a show that has worked well for them since 2013, which I saw as having all of Cadet' strengths.

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfuhr2FldA

Someone told me it would have been too morbid to have a scream from a speaker by the burning prop.  And burning, stabbings, and hangings isn't morbid?  I was hoping they would have completed the scene.  The fading of the singers voice was nice and I believe the fading of a scream would have been a perfect ending.

Get off the scream stuff already.  It wasn't needed and yes it would have been morbid. Maybe they should have spurt blood, blackened skin so it looked charred, turned blue to properly portray a hanging.   Screaming would have added nothing to the show at the point the brass was already at fever pitch with a huge musical statement.  If you remember shortly before that section there was a "scream" of "help meeeeee".

If you are so sure it would have made the show better and garnered the extra GE points you feel thay had fallen short of, then please reach out to the designers directly and explain to them about their missed opportunity so they won't miss out again.  I have little doubt they'd appreciate your input.  Please leave it alone.  It was one of the most talked about endings of any corps this year.