Hitting Hard 2018

27 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Cadets may be limited as to what they can do by the Bernstein estate. As has been recounted on DCP in the past, and as any school or local theater group that has wanted to do "West Side Story" knows, they are extremely protective of the integrity of his works, as they have every right to be, and it would not surprise me if there are some objections by the Bernstein estate to portions of the show being distributed on DVD this year. It could be a Madison "Empire State of Mind" all over again. Then again, "Mass" is not as iconic as "Candide," "On the Town," or "West Side Story" so maybe there will be no brouhaha at all.

Traditional means different things to different people. I think traditional if it is indeed traditional can always work, but style  can change,  so a 90's stylistic show would not work, but if Cadets returned to their tradition, great music performed well with incredible drill, audiences would love it and they could be pleasantly surprised. They have not medaled since 2014 and while I enjoyed that show (I know, many did not), some would argue they have not had a show that has worked well for them since 2013, which I saw as having all of Cadet' strengths.

Proof? Conjecture? Hear say gossip? or just another BAC supporter publicly sowing doubt which may impinge on sales?

As understood in Cadets alum circles, those matters were discussed this winter with Lincoln Center and part of the deal.

Edited by xandandl

14 hours ago, luv4corps said:

And they are already restricted with the Bernstein -

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

No where has it been publicly said that Cadets have to do a Bernstein show; it is presumed because they have permission.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

What, 'exactly', is the three year contract YEA has with the Bernstein family that was referenced in the theater broadcast?

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

for three years (17-19) Cadets have permission from the rights holders to play Bernstein's compositions. Royalties have been adjusted and bonds with the NY Philharmonic and the corps networked to do joint concert(s) in June 2018 in NYC.

That is more than a 'presumption', that is a contractual agreement. They have paid for access to Bernstein compositions through 2019; they will, at some capacity, play what they have already paid for. They may or may not add material, like they did with Ron Nelson's Rocky Point, but it would be beyond foolish to not play what you have already paid for via contract.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

That is more than a 'presumption', that is a contractual agreement. They have paid for access to Bernstein compositions through 2019; they will, at some capacity, play what they have already paid for. They may or may not add material, like they did with Ron Nelson's Rocky Point, but it would be beyond foolish to not play what you have already paid for via contract.

while I agree with you, and the same conclusion reached by TimK earlier in posting, drum corps have been known to waste money on lots of impulses, trends, novelties, and "great ideas" from designers who feel they have had an apocalyptic inspiration.  Some corps have been known to waste money more than others. ("the shade of the magenta flag  wasn't just right. Violet will do the trick...)

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

It might be a pay-as-you-go situation, with no commitment. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Cadets may be limited as to what they can do by the Bernstein estate. As has been recounted on DCP in the past, and as any school or local theater group that has wanted to do "West Side Story" knows, they are extremely protective of the integrity of his works, as they have every right to be, and it would not surprise me if there are some objections by the Bernstein estate to portions of the show being distributed on DVD this year. It could be a Madison "Empire State of Mind" all over again. Then again, "Mass" is not as iconic as "Candide," "On the Town," or "West Side Story" so maybe there will be no brouhaha at all.

Traditional means different things to different people. I think traditional if it is indeed traditional can always work, but style  can change,  so a 90's stylistic show would not work, but if Cadets returned to their tradition, great music performed well with incredible drill, audiences would love it and they could be pleasantly surprised. They have not medaled since 2014 and while I enjoyed that show (I know, many did not), some would argue they have not had a show that has worked well for them since 2013, which I saw as having all of Cadet' strengths.

If they are limited by the Bernstein estate, then I'm worried the next show will be too literal just like 2017. 

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Per Hopkins, the Cadets are not obligated to do the music of Bernstein for the next two years.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Proof? Conjecture? Hear say gossip? or just another BAC supporter publicly sowing doubt which may impinge on sales?

As understood in Cadets alum circles, those matters were discussed this winter with Lincoln Center and part of the deal.

This is not meant to be a dig at Cadets. The Bernstein Estate, not all that different than those who own the rights to Richard Rogers music, is very protective of how the music is used. I do not question that the use of "Mass" was agreed upon during the winter, but we have seen on more than one occasion that agreements have been made, composers, publishers, etc. have a different interpretation, and portions of shows are blocked out or omitted. If anything, this has more to do with copyright issues.

Also, I doubt that DCI has lost all that many sales of DVD's and BluRay because shows have had portions blacked out or missing. 

Edited by Tim K

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

We're about 2 decades out of the 90's. Young folk appeal back then isn't necessarily the same as it is now. 

Hopefully you don't end up exaggerating what I'm saying. My main message is just that cultural norms change. It's definitely possible that the Cadets can do Bernstein successfully, but it will have to be beyond a traditional arrangement and concept in my opinion 

But every band kid I know goes gaga for Phantom (at least the kids in my area do) and their music choices aren't exactly hip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Yeah right, Father Tim K. is just that kind of BAC supporter.  

Whether or not a corps "comes out swinging" as some might say depends on what the design team is really looking to do. It's a competitive activity, yes; but not every corps is out to win a title. Most corps realize they don't have much of a chance due to finances, infrastructure, talent, etc.  For many corps out there making top 12 is a blessing. That is hard enough to do these days. Some of the corps that did not make top 12 are incredible, like Mandarins, Academy, Colts, Troopers, SCVC, BDB, Pacific Crest, and on and on. 

First and foremost drum corps is an art form, then the competition side kicks in. And only for a few can they truly make a run for top 3 or a championship. So I really believe that what we will see on the field mostly depends on where designers want to go. No corps is going to come out and "throw punches" or "come out swinging" as if they are still ###### over last year. They may be motivated by the previous year. Maybe they had a positive finish, maybe a bit of a let down.  It's unlikely they will really transfer any of that to the next show. The only thing they can do is work just as hard, concentrate on the new show, let their staff lead the way and design and teach, and perform as well as they can. Once that is done everything is in the hands of the judges as far as competition, but when it comes to straight-up performance it's all in the hands of the performers.