How About Some Common Ground?

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

100%. It is by no means the fault of the performers, but designers are taking an inherent risk when incorporating A&E into their shows. They can either reap the benefits or accept the penalties. Can't have it just one way. 

Or 5th with the ridiculously minute difference in the Bluecoats and Cavaliers scores...just sayin' 

Here's an example for you to ponder. Suppose at the end of Boston's show, the prop didn't work? Don't you think there would have been a commensurate drop in some GE score rather that a judge going, 'gee, since I know the effect you're going for, and even though it failed, I'm going to give you credit'?

Personally, none of the electronics or amplification has EVER made a show more enjoyable to me. If your soloist is up front and the ensemble is playing appropriately, we should be able to hear them. It's worked in the past, it should work now.

But, I am a proud dinosaur!

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

If a corps' electronics fail before they start and it delays them from starting on time, they will get a penalty.   Example:  Crossmen a few years ago and it almost kept them out of finals.

But, if a corps' electronics fail in the middle of the show, there is no demerit of any kind?

i thought that was the tenors choice of warm up spot and ignoring instructions to move elsewhere

45 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Here's an example for you to ponder. Suppose at the end of Boston's show, the prop didn't work? Don't you think there would have been a commensurate drop in some GE score rather that a judge going, 'gee, since I know the effect you're going for, and even though it failed, I'm going to give you credit'?

Personally, none of the electronics or amplification has EVER made a show more enjoyable to me. If your soloist is up front and the ensemble is playing appropriately, we should be able to hear them. It's worked in the past, it should work now.

But, I am a proud dinosaur!

well how do i put this with your example....

the visual world is more likely to call a spade a spade than the non percussive side of the music world

• Like 3

4 hours ago, garfield said:

What if the power supply at the stadium shorts out?

DCI is now requiring electrical outlets on all four sides of the football field.  What if that request overloads the system at a smaller TEP show?

What if ALL of the corps' A&E is fried for the evening?

When then with scoring?

...then everyone's score takes a hit. 

simples

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don't see the need to completely get rid of it. It just needs some limits. No synth bass, no amping a whole hornline. Limit mics to soloists only, allow FE to continue to be amped. Require backup mics when using wireless technology. Restrictions such as , but not limited to, the above would enhance the overall product rather than detract. 

As for the bolded text, I can understand that, but it's still total BS that it is the way it is right now. Accept the risk or don't use it.

And once corps DO start getting penalized for these type of malfunctions, they will be much more proactive in fixing and improving it.

edit: forgot to bold the text that I said I bolded

I would guess under these "restrictions", many a corps would be adding bass marimbas to their FE...

39 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

I would guess under these "restrictions", many a corps would be adding bass marimbas to their FE...

"Restrictions such as, but not limited to, the above would enhance the overall product rather than detract"

I didn't add that qualifier/disclaimer in there just for fun. 

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

"Restrictions such as, but not limited to, the above would enhance the overall product rather than detract"

I didn't add that qualifier/disclaimer in there just for fun. 

With you on this.

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

1. I agree with you

2. People would respond more positively to you if you got rid of the passive aggressive "woe is me" persecution complex. 

Thank you.  I was trying to figure out a way to say something similar.  Without risking being banned from DCP. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 3