How About Some Common Ground?

8 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I think it might be a mistake to assume that problems with sound reinforcement are not currently being assessed or considered in ratings & rankings.  

So how do you imagine Carolina Crown wireless mic issues were assessed in finals?  Did the judges think it was a clever contribution to the "deconstruction" theme and give even more credit?

18 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Can we all agree on this at the very least?  Can we all agree that when a corps' electronics and amplifcation malfunctions in the middle of a performance, that the G.E. scores SHOULD acknowledge and reflect that?  Can we all agree that if A&E is going to be allowed, that it needs to be proportionately weighted into the scoring system?

No.  Well, yes and no, in that order.

I agree that GE should reflect the net result, good or bad, with no exemptions for A&E.  But I believe that this activity is still about brass and percussion, and that is why there are performance captions in which only brass and percussion can score points.  To make A&E proportional, another performance caption would have to be added for it, and then corps would be forced to use it to score points there.

If A&E problems were properly reflected in GE and analysis, I think corps might return their focus to the elements that matter most in musical captions (brass and percussion).  Until then, though, they are totally incentivized to use more and more A&E since it has nothing but upside in the recaps.

47 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Can you give an example of when this occurred?

Another poster made this allegation. In a larger sense it's irrelevant if it's been done (yet) or not.  If the ability to do this exists (it does), and if this type of thing could or would give a distorted version of the actual playing, then imo it makes sense to get out in front of things and make it against the rules. 

I love creativity, but when something has the potential to influence a music score through artificial means, that seems to me to be contrary to the concept of good sportsmanship.  

As technology develops, I'd rather DCI be proactive rather than reactive.

Edited by wolfgang

48 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Can you give an example of when this occurred?

In the video interview with Hopkins, he stated that the 2017 BD brass was performing in conjunction with recorded dubbed brass.

One aspect alluded to in other threads is the volume settings of some speakers. Should DCI implement a maximum volume/decibel level for artificial amplification?

We live in a society that loves the courtroom. If a plaintiff sued DCI for alleged hearing loss due to the volume of a sound system, whether they would win or not, the costs of defending such a suit would not be cheap.

Its one thing to sit in the upper deck several hundred feet away. Its something else entirely to have the amplified volume level sitting in the first few rows of the lower deck.

With the above in mind, should DCI set a maximum limit on decibels from artificial amplification? What would be a good organizational policy to ensure the best and safest experience for the paying customer?

Edited by wolfgang

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

In the video interview with Hopkins, he stated that the 2017 BD brass was performing in conjunction with recorded dubbed brass.

Is there not a "one touch, one note" rule in DCI?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Starting writing a response, but figured, let's just leave this alone.  I mean, he had a chorus that, well...

• Haha 1

9 pages, I skimmed. My $.02, if it's going to be on the field it should be judged. The only caption it fits into is GE, so that's where it should be.

To the question of "what if the power goes out that night?", a corps is judged on what they bring to the table that night. Someone asked last year how BD can still be scoring high after their tarp was stolen; shouldn't the tarp's absence be reflected in the score? We all know the answer to that question, and the same answer should apply here. If there's electronics, judge them. If there's no electronics (that night) judge what's still on the field. If a corps doesn't know how to adapt for that night, that's corps'/staff's problem, same as if the corps didn't know how to march with a hole or alternate a sick soloist.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So how do you imagine Carolina Crown wireless mic issues were assessed in finals?  Did the judges think it was a clever contribution to the "deconstruction" theme and give even more credit?

oooOOOOooo.... lol that's interesting... would've been better to wait until toward the end to start it, though... it was "deconstructed" for the whole thing!