How About Some Common Ground?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

If it is legal there is no problem of cheating. Hop also stated that recordings, dubbing, etc... were used creatively within the confines of the rules, but just beyond what people thought would happen.

and IMO, if he'd thought of it and was winning, he wouldn't be complaining about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Debunked is a polite indirect way to say the other person was lying; so that means you read on Reddit where current BD members were indirectly claiming Hopkins had lied.

Okay? Do you always feel the need to re-word everything people say?

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Okay? Do you always feel the need to re-word everything people say?

no, every third or so post

• Haha 2

Just now, Stu said:

No, but that is what debunking means.

yeah i think we all kinda knew that. We are edjumicated mostly aint we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Simple question: Was Hopkins lying when he stated that BD was using recorded dubbed brass?

No saying he was or wasn't, just that it would be a Pandora's box sort of situation.

Even if BD did do as he stated, didn't Bluecoats do the same thing in 2014?

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Congratulations, I'm glad you know what debunking means

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really?  Thought that meant getting out of bed.

On a serious note, I want to repeat, the DCI Directors really should make some obvious changes to the use of electronics BEFORE next season. I don't care what the normal process is.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

But not every judge values the same thing the same way. You can't just assign a 0.5 value to it.

scores are also relative night to night so you can't compare one night's score to another. 

Wow, that was a purely hypothetical example of numbers for the sake of the discussion. I assumed that was obvious, especially when I added the "keeping the math simple" part. 

Re: not every judge valuing the same thing the same way, isn't that exactly what they're supposed to do? I mean, within a reasonable margin of error, but yes, I do think every judge should value every thing roughly the same, otherwise why do we even have scores?

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

anymore, unless a corps took several days before a show, scores arent going up a full point between shows that late in the season.

but to counter your argument...so ok, no tarp. the other captions couldnt have improved enough to make up for it? with a full non finals panel, there's 8 sheets in use arriving at a total number. it's more than just one thing that can affect a score.

Again, the numbers I used were purely hypothetical for the sake of discussion. That literally was not my argument in even the slightest bit, as in 100% not even in the same ballpark.

I'm trying to answer the very second post in this thread, which asked what should we do if electronics make their way onto the sheets (probably under GE) and the power goes out at a stadium and a corps can't use power. 

Let's put my answer to that a different way. Tubas are 1/4 of the brass instruments. If any corps just decided one night not to have tubas on the field, the judges wouldn't dock the score by a quarter, they'd still evaluate the total score based on what the corps hands them. Same thing with electronics.