How About Some Common Ground?

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Really?  Thought that meant getting out of bed.

On a serious note, I want to repeat, the DCI Directors really should make some obvious changes to the use of electronics BEFORE next season. I don't care what the normal process is.

and again....how can you prove it?

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

Wow, that was a purely hypothetical example of numbers for the sake of the discussion. I assumed that was obvious, especially when I added the "keeping the math simple" part. 

Re: not every judge valuing the same thing the same way, isn't that exactly what they're supposed to do? I mean, within a reasonable margin of error, but yes, I do think every judge should value every thing roughly the same, otherwise why do we even have scores?

Again, the numbers I used were purely hypothetical for the sake of discussion. That literally was not my argument in even the slightest bit, as in 100% not even in the same ballpark.

I'm trying to answer the very second post in this thread, which asked what should we do if electronics make their way onto the sheets (probably under GE) and the power goes out at a stadium and a corps can't use power. 

Let's put my answer to that a different way. Tubas are 1/4 of the brass instruments. If any corps just decided one night not to have tubas on the field, the judges wouldn't dock the score by a quarter, they'd still evaluate the total score based on what the corps hands them. Same thing with electronics.

no power for all means the judges are supposed to judge what is there. in a few cases, no power may actually help some socres

take away the tubas, you'd have some serious visual holes that would probably affect those scores.

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Proof of what exactly?

whether the "featured soloist" actually played the solo live or was it taped?  He played it facing backfield. Sound board barons can determine which speakers are on or off facing the audience, so proving it isn't actually easy unless a BDer who marched that show admits otherwise.

Edited by xandandl

These concerns will be addressed appropriately before next season. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

In this threads Gar posted the video where Hopkins claims that some corps are recording/dubbing brass and playing those recordings back during performances.  He also talks about what SCV was doing with mics and has a vague reference to Bluecoats.

Thanks. It (content) was an excellent contemplation of the present situation of electronics, performance, and where the costs and consequences of the activity are headed. Keep this conversation going at this level as we move to the Rules Congress in January.

[Note: YEAguy about your tapes this summer:

Where do you want us (the judge) to focus?  So far this summer we've had to listen to your Philly talk radio, your TV, your guests prancing through the apartment with their own agendae of noise and action, even your sidetalks with Jerede and others on your emails and other social sites all the while you are supposedly focusing on your conversations/videos with us the listeners. Think of us as the judges in the box. Although you pride yourself on multi-tasking, sometimes this becomes a fault when it interferes with the communication of your message. Think of your vids just like a DBC show design. Your message will come through more clearly. Thank you.You do communicate with us the public more than any other corps director. Don't get in the way of your message.]

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

What do you want him to prove?  His post only stated what he thought the Directors ought to do.

I could be wrong and Jeff could address this better than I can, but I think he meant how do you prove that there was some kind of rule broken.  

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hopefully.

if your supposedly liberal minded friend GH is agreeing with you Ghost (see the aforementioned video interview) and you are expressing what so many have expressed, it surely will be addressed. However, even if the protocols are changed or adjusted at this year's Rules Congress, changes will not likely be effected until the 2019 season. You know how those design teams figure everything out by Labor Day. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Can we all agree on this at the very least?  Can we all agree that when a corps' electronics and amplifcation malfunctions in the middle of a performance, that the G.E. scores SHOULD acknowledge and reflect that?  Can we all agree that if A&E is going to be allowed, that it needs to be proportionately weighted into the scoring system?

Can we at last agree on SOMETHING?  Or is this community bound and determined to be contrary for the sake of contrariness, despite all pretenses of rational thought and reason?

Amplification is not an instrument. Electronics such as synths are. The impact of amplification to the sound produced should be evaluated and be part of the score given in a caption that would be evaluating that, such as Effect and Music Analysis. How much a particular event helps or hurts the score is up to the judges' opinion based on the criteria they are given to use.. The use of electronic instruments should already be part of the evaluation process.