How About Some Common Ground?

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I personally think that punishing it will lead to smarter implementations from the get-go. 

Just for clarification, in our "build-up" system where things aren't "punished" overtly, I presume you're talking about "not giving credit", right?

Just now, garfield said:

Just for clarification, in our "build-up" system where things aren't "punished" overtly, I presume you're talking about "not giving credit", right?

Yes, thank you for correcting that. 

We often talk about how once a corps gets cleaner over the course of a season, the content becomes more visible to the judge and allows the judge to give a higher score to the corps. When content becomes hidden due to an electronics malfunction, the content and performance scores should be decreasing accordingly. 

Just now, Cappybara said:

Yes, thank you for correcting that. 

We often talk about how once a corps gets cleaner over the course of a season, the content becomes more visible to the judge and allows the judge to give a higher score to the corps. When content becomes hidden due to an electronics malfunction, the content and performance scores should be decreasing accordingly. 

"decreasing"?

How does a score decrease in a build-up system?

I'm confused.

It should be reflected in GE, and as well in the specific music caption.  Like SCV 2 years ago had the synth malfunction at the beginning of the show, and that possibly cost them another high percussion award.  If in the case of vocalists, well then in GE, and possibly music analysis - achievement.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Snares also serve up a variety of egg and cheese items for our dining pleasure!!!

Love me some Egg Beaters. :winky:

Just now, garfield said:

"decreasing"?

How does a score decrease in a build-up system?

I'm confused.

This would be a little easier if you weren't being pedantic. 

Since I can't really think of the right word to describe what I'm saying, I'll give an example. 

Say a corps has a good/normal run and they score 1st in the music analysis caption. The next night, they have a big A&E malfunction and a small ensemble section becomes barely heard, if at all. Relative to the score from the previous night, their score would "decrease," placing 2nd in that caption rather than first due to that content "disappearing" so to speak.

Does that make a bit more sense?

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Since I can't really think of the right word to describe what I'm saying, I'll give an example. 

Say a corps has a good/normal run and they score 1st in the music analysis caption. The next night, they have a big A&E malfunction and a small ensemble section becomes barely heard, if at all. Relative to the score from the previous night, their score would "decrease," placing 2nd in that caption rather than first due to that content "disappearing" so to speak.

For once in this thread I'm not being pedantic, unlike the OP.

If the mic on the solo trumpet goes out but the judge still hears the trumpet but not the amp, isn't it a subjective call still?

If the issue is the fault of the corps, it should be reflected in the score. If it is a stadium issue, that is a different matter. This would apply to Corps beginning late due to technical issues. If it is in their control and not a stadium issue, there should be a penalty. I also believe any mixing while the show is in progress should be done by a corps member, not staff.

I know for many, Crown's microphone issues were problematic. I agree there should have been a reflection in the score. It was not the young woman's fault, and the fact she remained so composed is amazing, and if sheets allow for crediting that, fine, but when it comes to the microphones and electronics, you that risk, and if it does not work, that the price of competition.

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yes.

Now see my next post, which is remarkable similar.