How About Some Common Ground?

Just now, garfield said:

If the mic on the solo trumpet goes out but the judge still hears the trumpet but not the amp, isn't it a subjective call still?

Yep, just like with everything else in this activity. 

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Should show in GE and performance (and should've shown enough to drop Crown to 4th on finals night).

No mincing words here!

53 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

100%. It is by no means the fault of the performers, but designers are taking an inherent risk when incorporating A&E into their shows. They can either reap the benefits or accept the penalties. Can't have it just one way. 

Live by the A&E.  Die by the A&E.

17 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

It should be reflected in GE, and as well in the specific music caption.  Like SCV 2 years ago had the synth malfunction at the beginning of the show, and that possibly cost them another high percussion award.  If in the case of vocalists, well then in GE, and possibly music analysis - achievement.

I doubt that synth issue caused SCV to be down 0.5 in both Field and Ensemble to BD Finals night and 4th in both sub-captions. 

After Semis, SCV was only up 0.05 on BD, so they would have needed 0.4 more in Total Percussion to even tie BD with the scores they got at Finals.

Edited by snare_guy_83

1 hour ago, garfield said:

What if the power supply at the stadium shorts out?

DCI is now requiring electrical outlets on all four sides of the football field.  What if that request overloads the system at a smaller TEP show?

What if ALL of the corps' A&E is fried for the evening?

When then with scoring?

In an instance like that, in my opinion, where everyone has no A&E and some important sounds are lost accordingly, then everyone's GE scores should go down (musical analysis too, if applicable, i.e., if the judge can't hear a featured musician). Or everyone who didn't bring a backup generator just in case. (But if that generator is noisy, then that should be reflected in GE too.) In short, to the degree that a corps leaves any element of the show outside of its control, they are taking the risk that if that element goes wrong, they will suffer for it in the scores. And yes, occasionally that means a corps who is otherwise having a great season gets an unusually low score. But that's life. Judges need to score based on what they're seeing and hearing that night, not on what they think a corps might have scored if everything went according to plan.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I personally think that punishing it will lead to smarter implementations from the get-go. 

And by contrast, NOT punishing malfunctions will lead to carelessness and negligence.  Needs to be treated like any risk vs. reward endeavor.  

Just now, luv4corps said:

And by contrast, NOT punishing malfunctions will lead to carelessness and negligence.  Needs to be treated like any risk vs. reward endeavor.  

Precisely. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

All you're accomplishing here is pissing off a bunch of people. 

I think that's what he wants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1