How About Some Common Ground?

I'd like to raise a different issue with A&E.

Is there any time limit for a corps to straighten out problems with their A&E equipment when they set up?

Several corps had issues getting their A&E equipment to work.At one show it was over 5 minutes they were waiting,after the corps was set.

Just wondered if there is a penalty if they don't get the equipment working in  "x' amount of time or if the judges can say "start",electronics or not ?

2 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Can we all agree on this at the very least?  Can we all agree that when a corps' electronics and amplifcation malfunctions in the middle of a performance, that the G.E. scores SHOULD acknowledge and reflect that?  Can we all agree that if A&E is going to be allowed, that it needs to be proportionately weighted into the scoring system?

Can we at last agree on SOMETHING?  Or is this community bound and determined to be contrary for the sake of contrariness, despite all pretenses of rational thought and reason?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I emphatically maintain that A&E should be banned entirely from the activity.  But if it's not going away and, more importantly, if it's going to continue to escalate, and to monopolize performances in the manner it does today, should it not be adjudicated and weighted into the scoring system accordingly?

not just GE. Ensemble also

2 hours ago, garfield said:

What if the power supply at the stadium shorts out?

DCI is now requiring electrical outlets on all four sides of the football field.  What if that request overloads the system at a smaller TEP show?

What if ALL of the corps' A&E is fried for the evening?

When then with scoring?

you can only judge whats there, not presume on what might be

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I'd like to raise a different issue with A&E.

Is there any time limit for a corps to straighten out problems with their A&E equipment when they set up?

Several corps had issues getting their A&E equipment to work.At one show it was over 5 minutes they were waiting,after the corps was set.

Just wondered if there is a penalty if they don't get the equipment working in  "x' amount of time or if the judges can say "start",electronics or not ?

There is a rule I believe that gives corps a 5 minute grace period to sort out electronic malfunctions 

1 hour ago, garfield said:

OK.

What should be happening is that all A&E should be unplugged.

But, if I were a director introducing this new technology, I'd want a LOOONNGG time to get it figured out during which I'd not be penalized if it doesn't work just right.

Exactly how long that takes is as subjective as the sheets themselves, but obviously longer than they've had so far.

no it shouldnt be unplugged. I understand a judge not wanting to bury a corps if their equipment fails, and an occasional glitch should be treated that way. But issues for 2/3 of your show...yeah you shouldn't be popping 9.5's

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm not completely sure of how I view this. On one side, I do think that scores should judge the performance accurately and that if there was an A&E malfunction, it could ruin a moment. But on the other side, I can't help but feel sympathetic for corps going through something like that. Yes, A&E in a show is certainly risky, but not all accidents are their faults. For example, I was watching a show this past year after I had just performed where SCVC had no props due to their equipment trailer being destroyed (or something of that nature. Can't remember the details). It was pretty weird for members to stand around during the performance when they were obviously supposed to be behind props. Same thing with Bluecoats' electronic malfunction in 2016 semis. So I'm not completely sure whether or not judges' leniency towards this issue is a good or bad thing 

but here's the thing....you design for those elements, and when not there....what's a judge to do? yeah if a judge has seen the show previously, they know what SHOULD be there....but you have to judge what is there that night. 

45 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

I'm completely entertained... :fight:
(makes popcorn, continually refreshes page) 

Yep -- using one of those Colts souvie popcorn baskets we brought back from LOS.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

So far, this is all you've contributed to this thread. Some questions, and snark. Pot, meet kettle. 

he blocked me last week. Funny how he calls out people for trolling yet it's all he does

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, garfield said:

Oh. My. God.

You are unbelievable, sir.  I'm truly beginning to believe that you are psychotic and can't control yourself.

Wow.

yeah America already has one like that...we dont need another

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, garfield said:

"decreasing"?

How does a score decrease in a build-up system?

I'm confused.

it doesnt go as high. better?

• Like 1