Colts uniform question

This is overall a pretty trivial question, but it's been bugging me since championships.

I noticed in semis that the hornline and drumline members went without their drop sashes/leg cape things. Does anyone know why?

Also, I feel like I saw their DMs wear red uniforms during the show, but they wore gray ones during retreat. Was there a reason behind that?

As a side note, the Colts were FANTASTIC this season.

The hip capes (other technical terms include waist capes and half skirts. All three were used interchangeably during the season) were removed after Allentown (the first show without them was Monday, August 7 in Erie, PA) because the vis staff thought they made the technique look dirtier. Personally, I liked them way better with the capes, and our semis placement was the same as our Allentown placement, so I don't think they made any difference. The drum major uniforms were because of the trombone solo. They wanted the soloist to be in the same uniform as everyone else so people wouldn't be distracted and just thinking about how the drum major was playing a solo, and they felt it would look weird to have one of the conductors in a different uniform than the others, especially since the two drum majors switched spots for the solo, so all three conductors had red uniforms. The grey uniforms were used for parades, retreats, and when both a Colts and Colt Cadets drum major accompanied Bill Symoniak for his volunteer of the year recognition.

• Like 6

On 8/28/2017 at 11:23 PM, Bone-Tone Lord said:

The hip capes (other technical terms include waist capes and half skirts. All three were used interchangeably during the season) were removed after Allentown (the first show without them was Monday, August 7 in Erie, PA) because the vis staff thought they made the technique look dirtier.  .

And then, despite the thinking, here is the REALITY :

In the San Antonio Regionals, the Colts finished 16th in Visual Proficiency and 13th in Visual Analysis.

At Semi Finals  and AFTER the uniform change meant to supposedly help them in the scores/ placements(  Visuals ) the Colts finished 16th in Visual Profiency and 15th ( dropped 2 positions ) in Visual Analyisis. There is a helpful lesson here ( to those doubters still out there ) regarding attire and scores/ placements. Basically, judges don't care what you have on for clothing, nor on your head.. and they certainly can determine things visually, despite best efforts by staffers to mask things thru attire/headgear choices. It doesn't work, and we have mountains of evidence both this season and any OTHER season to invalidate such beliefs too, imo

Edited by BRASSO