2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Wow.  I think I last saw CV a few years ago in a DCI show stream. They were good but not this sophisticated.   Have they done something to grow this organization?  Whatever they're doing, it's great!

In my opinion, CV first showed hints of their future potential in 2013, which I think was their first year breaking 90 in Finals. They featured a giant telescope prop as they played Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite very credibly.

5 hours ago, drsedlak said:

Depending on individual judges and numbers management, 6 through 2 could be very close...

I felt that way about 7 through 3.

6 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

I think Atlanta CV would easily make DCI semifinals. (Rules notwithstanding)

It's hard to make these comparisons, but...

The Company scored 70 three weeks ago in DCI Prelims (not to mention 72 in O.C. Finals), so if Kidsgrove is neck-and-neck with The Company, then probably Kidsgrove now is scoring in the upper 70s on DCI's scale. Which likely means that Buccaneers are scoring in the mid 80s. So probably eight or nine DCA corps would make DCI Semifinals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

There's the first "they're always ready" I've caught.  Took them long enough.  :laughing:

The Bucs cheering sections features props, some costumes, and--I kid you not--printed sheets with various cheers.

• Like 1

Maybe the best thing in Prelims was seeing that MBI had improved so much since the show we saw on the DCI stream in July. Even so, I didn't expect them to be breaking 89. Well done.

Other random thoughts. Personally I thought: that Govies (after a shaky opener) had just edged out CT; that Chops and Knights were a step back from Erie, whose arrangements I really liked; and that Sunrisers' show was more enjoyable than Bushwackers'. I had a hard time ranking Kidsgrove through Cabs. And while Bucs' show deserves its score, it also has some annoying reminders of Cadets' 2007 show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I thought it was just a mistake: velcro coming loose for two members about halfway through the show.

Correct.

Well looks like plenty of room for changing postions tonight in finals ,lots of corps to close to call.

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Almost! Five tenths from being correct about CT vs. Gold. Good for you on calling that. (I didn't see it.)

Yeah pretty awesome considering CT went on first and still won Class 'A' prelims. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but the program also lists another corps as the "Southern Nights", sans K.

I don't have the program but this may explain the other Southern Nights  

2015 marks the 25th Anniversary of the Southern Knights USA Tour to compete at the Drum Corps Associates World Championships in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This page has been created to celebrate that years events so please feel free to post stories, photos, videos - in fact anything to help create a lasting reminder of that great trip.

I have started by adding a couple of photos and will continue to do over the coming weeks plus will also be making available video footage taken both in the lead up to the trip and once in the USA.

I am trying to ensure that I "invite" as many people as I can find that were part of his historic year and if I have missed anyone then please, please add them.

Also, whilst this page is designed for those who were involved in the Corps that year, please feel free to add anyone who might also want to be part of this celebration and see what we did all those years ago. The more the merrier

I hope this page will bring back some great memories.

They were I think the first UK Corps to compete in the US