2017 DCA Prelims Discussion

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

here's the thing....it's all the same sheets. All the same numbers. Just like at any other show. And since score determines voting status they have to be ranked and rated regardless of class.Looking at their scores this year and in the past, they'll do just fine wherever they go on.

Agreed. All of which begs the question, "Why have an A Class at all?"

DCI has some clear definitions when it comes to the purpose of it's Open Class, as do the various marching band circuits. The only definition I can see with DCA is simply numbers. Which again, leads us to the same question.

FWIW, I have nothing against DCA having an A class, and nothing against A class corps. I'm just having trouble seeing the benefit beyond simply rewarding corps for being small (which may indeed be the reason).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I'm just having trouble seeing the benefit beyond simply rewarding corps for being small (which may indeed be the reason).

Majority of the DCA corps are small in comparison to DCI. How many have 128 MM's - four perhaps out of like what 18. I would say on average it's between 75 and 85 MM's if that. Either way one class makes sense to me. 

I'm not sure how many Class A-sized corps would want to drive halfway across the country (note: all but one this year are from outside the NE) to get ~12th-17th place in front of a practically empty stadium every year. Groups like Chops, Govies, Southern Knights, and previously Atlanta CV, Alliance, Vigilantes, Gulf Coast Sound, High Country Brass, or SoCal Dream may not have considered DCA to be worth their time and money if they would have had to go head-to-head with the big boys right off the bat (yes, even 80 members seems big when you're tallying up at around 45). Having a venue where we can actually compete and be rewarded with groups of a similar size is a huge and unique experience. If DCA were to stop providing that for us we may as well stay local and do DCI or SoundSport.

I can't speak to the exact reasons Class A was proposed and accepted (I was in jr high and had never heard of drum corps), but I know the voting member corps at the time must have seen some value in it. After it started DCA grew to its highest participation level ever in 2005, and now we've seen corps like Atlanta CV, Fusion Core, and White Sabers build off their Class A success and become serious forces in Open Class.

Maybe it's not as apparent to outsiders, but for us small corps having Class A is hugely important.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spandy hits the nail on the head. It does give developing corps the chance to compete against other teams that are roughly the same size, budget, and capabilities and allows them to develop.

Fusion, White Sabres. There are two good examples of why we have the class.

Or, as per the Govies- maybe that's all you do have to recruit from, but make the most of it and have success within that arena. Both directions are valid.

• Like 2

So, after DCA Weekend is over, what does a smaller, maybe newer, corps want to go back home with . . .

We placed 2nd in the Class A Division, or

We placed 13th at our Championship event.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BigW said:

Spandy hits the nail on the head. It does give developing corps the chance to compete against other teams that are roughly the same size, budget, and capabilities and allows them to develop.

Fusion, White Sabres. There are two good examples of why we have the class.

Or, as per the Govies- maybe that's all you do have to recruit from, but make the most of it and have success within that arena. Both directions are valid.

Now list the Class A corps that are gone BigW. My guess maybe 20 or more. 

Startups are not easy, Jim. They never have been in DCA or DCI in general. Most don't really make it for various reasons. Usually, its because of a lack of a solid, sustainable business plan. You want, I can bemoan the loss of an awful lot of corps I've seen and enjoyed over the past 40 years. I can start with corps from Quebec if you want and go from there.