DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

No.. that person was assuredly NOT in the know, as the claim ( if I'm hearing this correctly ) that " there was no official cross- reference counting done as to the number of " paid attendence " is bogus to the core. I also " know " that Mary Pesceone would be rolling over in her grave right about now to read on this thread that DCI was not able to accurately determine PAID Attendance numbers at the DCI Finals in which SHE herself was involved in the calculations. People that are spreading this BS nonsense are shameful, and really don't know the DCI officials back then from a hole in the wall. If they do know these DCI officials from back then, then SHAME on them for claiming that DCI Officials back then were incapable, too incompetent, or too fraudulent or some combination thereof to be able to determine their PAID Attendance figures on their DCI Finals Nite, nor be able to determine butts in the seats at DCI Finals. Math was not invented post " 1997 ", and DCI officials didn't get smarter, wiser, more ethical once 1998 rolled around. Its pure BS, this stuff, and it does a REAL disservice to the quite competent, capable, and ethical DCI officials from back then, imo.. some of whom I knew rather well, and they me.

hearsay hearsay hearsay

blah blah blah

get off my lawn

this thread has probably run its course at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is why I said "most attended finals yearS"... just in case someone was going to claim 1981 was some sort of aberration.

Now, to say we have "no idea" whether the most attended DCI finals was in the PBS era, or in more recent years?  Seriously?  Total attendance for the 1981 finals was reported to be 35,947.  Do you really believe that paid attendance was less than 24,309?

I have no idea. I mean WWE claims 93000 still for an event in 87 that has been pretty much been proven to be 78,000

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Who cares what the attendance is now, compared to 20, 30, 40 years ago?

Different eras, different dynamics, different...well... a lot of stuff.  LOL.

The only thing that matters now is... is the activity currently on a sound footing, and are there opportunities for growth?

dont use logic this is a DCP thread about attendance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I said I was done on this nonsense that DCI changed the methodology in their calculations.. its baloney, so I'm not going to waste any more of  my time. We've already demonstrated that the numbers of Canadian Corps you cited at the 82 Championships was verifiable bullschizz from you, and as well your bogus claim DCI allowed their Canadian Corps marchers in free at Finals... again , compete bullschizz from you as their busses all left from Montreal earlier in the week... with them on board... after the " Quebec" Corps competed at the All Girls, and Class A finals competition earlier that week.  I know this. You can spin the DCI attendance now any way you want. DCI officials from back then have FAR more credibility on any of this, then you could even dream to attempt to bogus spin. So be happy and spin yourself into a dizzy spin, Jeff. I don't care. ...Finally, your claim now  that DCI did not calculate, nor post " Paid attendance numbers " at of their Finals Night prior " to 1997 "is also sheer bullshizz...If a couple of your friends on here are more than happy to STILL believe all this shizz from you on all this, thats certainly fine by me... but like I said, I'm done on this topic.

i'm sorry I thought you were done.

PS...i cited 81, not 82. but thanks for being accurate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

No.. that person was assuredly NOT in the know, as the claim ( if I'm hearing this correctly ) that " there was no official cross- reference counting done as to the number of " paid attendence " is bogus to the core. I also " know " that Mary Pesceone would be rolling over in her grave right about now to read on this thread that DCI was not able to accurately determine PAID Attendance numbers at the DCI Finals in which SHE herself was involved in the calculations. People that are spreading this BS nonsense are shameful, and really don't know the DCI officials back then from a hole in the wall. If they do know these DCI officials from back then, then SHAME on them for claiming that DCI Officials back then were incapable, too incompetent, or too fraudulent or some combination thereof to be able to determine their PAID Attendance figures on their DCI Finals Nite, nor be able to determine butts in the seats at DCI Finals. Math was not invented post " 1997 ", and DCI officials didn't get smarter, wiser, more ethical once 1998 rolled around. Its pure BS, this stuff, and it does a REAL disservice to the quite competent, capable, and ethical DCI officials from back then, imo.. some of whom I knew rather well, and they me.

no math wasnt invented post 1997. accurate collecting and dissemination of data as well as....oops...record keeping were in the old Lombard Il offices. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

You have to be aware that back then there were a plethora of comps, wrist-bands, and other ways to get through the gate which were all 'counted' in the attendence number figures; not 'just' paid tickets were in those figures.  Or are you going to continue to be in denial?

shhh. I got a freebie in 90. good seat too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It is largely accepted that reported attendance figures from the first two decades of DCI history are total attendance, unless the report says otherwise.  And it is also true that there were more corps at DCI Championships in some of those cases.  At the extreme (i.e. Montreal), 50 more corps entering via wristbands at an average of 60 per corps could add up to 3,000 more unpaid attendees.  (That, of course, assumes they all stayed in town and attended the finals.)

But even if you subtract 3,000 from each of those older numbers, the trends do not change.

yup no doubt. I don't have any official numbers to add - I was just saying that based on my own experiences those years some of the numbers seem high

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Have you ever eaten a Greenland shark?

Well... after reading that story about it, I never will!!!!  :tongue: