DCI World Championships Finals - Paid Attendance Figures

49 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

False.  DCI also gives out complementary tickets.  At times, the "official count" includes those unpaid tickets, as the DCI press release from 2015 stated.

Actually they released figures stating paid and total attendance 

my bad paid and comps

Edited by Jeff Ream
Correction

47 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

False.  DCI also gives out complementary tickets.  At times, the "official count" includes those unpaid tickets, as the DCI press release from 2015 stated.

Ummm.... that is what 'comps' means :doh:So I have already factored that in.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2017 at 0:38 PM, garfield said:

LOL!

I actually like Brasso.  He was "my first" all those years ago when I learned that sometimes I just have to stop arguing.  That lesson has carried me well when needed since.

Grasshopper learn. Master still no do. Teach him, we pray.......

• 2 weeks later...

To help the OP fill some of the gaps in the early years, I went to the source (the DCI yearbooks) to see what DCI actually claimed at the time.  Following is what I found.

1976 yearbook (speaking about 1975 finals): "Showers during the day of the finals cooled things off, and the night air was clear and crisp.  The contest drew over 25,000 drum corps fans, which packed the concert side of the stadium (not to mention considerable hundreds in the back bleachers).  Add to this the countless thousands of fans who were watching the contest on nationwide television."  (This was the first year for the PBS telecast, which back then was a live broadcast of the full 12-corps finals.)

1977 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 24,000 present in 1976."

1978 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 31,000 present in Denver, Colorado in 1977."

1979 yearbook repeats 31,000 as record, fails to mention 1978 attendance.  1980 and 1981 yearbooks do not mention attendance numbers.  So I referred to Drum Corps World for help.  The August 24, 1978 issue has a report on finals by Norm Umberger, describing the crowd as "almost 28,000".

August 24, 1979 DCW, Keith Campbell:  "The Devils' victory was witnessed by the largest crowd ever assembled in the eight-year history of this contest, as 32,800 enthusiastic fans cheered drum corps' twelve finest."

August 22, 1980 DCW, Jan and Keith Campbell:  "some 30,000 plus drum corps fanatics".

August 31, 1981 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "record crowd of 35,947".  The following DCI yearbook (1982) rounds the number to the nearest thousand as usual, saying "Molson Stadium was left behind as 36,000 fans, a new DCI record, streamed into Montreal's awe-inspiring Olympic Stadium."

August 3, 1982 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "28,000 fans".

None of these reports specify what type of attendance count it is (i.e. paid or total).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To help the OP fill some of the gaps in the early years, I went to the source (the DCI yearbooks) to see what DCI actually claimed at the time.  Following is what I found.

1976 yearbook (speaking about 1975 finals): "Showers during the day of the finals cooled things off, and the night air was clear and crisp.  The contest drew over 25,000 drum corps fans, which packed the concert side of the stadium (not to mention considerable hundreds in the back bleachers).  Add to this the countless thousands of fans who were watching the contest on nationwide television."  (This was the first year for the PBS telecast, which back then was a live broadcast of the full 12-corps finals.)

1977 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 24,000 present in 1976."

1978 yearbook: "Each year, attendance grew, with a record 31,000 present in Denver, Colorado in 1977."

1979 yearbook repeats 31,000 as record, fails to mention 1978 attendance.  1980 and 1981 yearbooks do not mention attendance numbers.  So I referred to Drum Corps World for help.  The August 24, 1978 issue has a report on finals by Norm Umberger, describing the crowd as "almost 28,000".

August 24, 1979 DCW, Keith Campbell:  "The Devils' victory was witnessed by the largest crowd ever assembled in the eight-year history of this contest, as 32,800 enthusiastic fans cheered drum corps' twelve finest."

August 22, 1980 DCW, Jan and Keith Campbell:  "some 30,000 plus drum corps fanatics".

August 31, 1981 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "record crowd of 35,947".  The following DCI yearbook (1982) rounds the number to the nearest thousand as usual, saying "Molson Stadium was left behind as 36,000 fans, a new DCI record, streamed into Montreal's awe-inspiring Olympic Stadium."

August 3, 1982 DCW, Catherine Thomas:  "28,000 fans".

None of these reports specify what type of attendance count it is (i.e. paid or total).

As I was reading through the numbers this Seseme Street song came to mind: "One of these things is not like the other,..."

• Like 1

In private school settings, paid tuition includes money collected and scholarships. This is done so unpaid tuition can be written off as a loss. So complimentary tickets, excluding marching members, may be included in paid tickets, unless it is considered an operating expense or perhaps an advertising expense if the purpose is to grow the audience, but a $0 ticket may be listed as paid. I can also recall when a school I was involved with put on "Godspell," we had to include complimentary tickets in the paid ticket category because the number of people in the audience determined how much was due to the publisher. You could do a production for the school as an assembly that could include students, faculty, and staff, but if anyone outside attended, they had to be counted as a ticket holder. My guess is this was due to abuse.

I don't say this to stir the pot, but complimentary ticket holders outside of marching members do promote the health of the activity. They most likely increase revenues since many will make purchases and in all likelihood will attend again. With the success of some TOC shoes, increased attendance at regionals, and healthy attendance in Indy, not to mention Big, Loud, and Live, things are looking positive and we were not saying the same thing as little as ten years ago. Let's enjoy it.

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

In private school settings, paid tuition includes money collected and scholarships. This is done so unpaid tuition can be written off as a loss. So complimentary tickets, excluding marching members, may be included in paid tickets, unless it is considered an operating expense or perhaps an advertising expense if the purpose is to grow the audience, but a $0 ticket may be listed as paid. I can also recall when a school I was involved with put on "Godspell," we had to include complimentary tickets in the paid ticket category because the number of people in the audience determined how much was due to the publisher. You could do a production for the school as an assembly that could include students, faculty, and staff, but if anyone outside attended, they had to be counted as a ticket holder. My guess is this was due to abuse.

I don't say this to stir the pot, but complimentary ticket holders outside of marching members do promote the health of the activity. They most likely increase revenues since many will make purchases and in all likelihood will attend again. With the success of some TOC shoes, increased attendance at regionals, and healthy attendance in Indy, not to mention Big, Loud, and Live, things are looking positive and we were not saying the same thing as little as ten years ago. Let's enjoy it.

we weren't saying that 7 years ago LOL

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

we weren't saying that 7 years ago LOL

Seven years ago (2010) after Big, Live, and Loud, the consensus of the people I sat with, hardly nay-sayers and in one case, a then twenty something high school music teacher and middle school band director, was that within ten years the activity would be all but gone. While there were great shows, there were also difficult but not necessarily riveting shows. Drum corps seemed to be losing steam. Audiences were not that responsive, seats were empty. 2011, it was a night and day difference. I can remember my first live show that year. Everything seemed different and the enthusiasm was real. In 2010, I never thought I would hear Blue Knights and cutting edge in the same sentence, Bluecoats were always considered underrated, now they're the darlings. Open Class often seemed to try and copy World Class, now they are unique and coming into their own.

Seven years ago my mother was still alive, nieces, nephews, cousins' kids were young, so my vacation choice was family time or attending Allentown and Indy. I chose family time, but this meant fewer live shows and all the G7 rumblings and infighting didn't get much chatter in Bristol, Lawrence, or Beverly, at least not the way you hear things at regionals and Indy. You could sense something was not right and the poor economy hit corps hard. Much of that is now in the past, and with the exception of lessons learned, that's where it should stay.