DCA's; Staff/Instructor Noise That Interferes with Show

15 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Where they can distract the judging panel.  (JK, sort of)

That can backfire 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 5:01 PM, ErieSopMike said:

Or you could go back to old school drum corps.... Thunderbirds are still on G bugles and no electronics.... It can be done.

Or lets just start in the end zone.  OR wear wool uniforms.  Or play on outdated instruments.  Or the timpani that you could strap on their back and carry around the field.  Some how and for some reason the designers from back in the day are being given the benefit of the doubt.  I say they didn't know any better because they were using what they had.  

AoE  

Edited by AoEnut

24 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

Or lets just start in the end zone.  OR wear wool uniforms.  Or play on outdated instruments.  Or the timpani that you could strap on their back and carry around the field.  Some how and for some reason the designers from back in the day are being given the benefit of the doubt.  I say they didn't know any better because they were using what they had. 

Blue Devils started in the endzone this year. Madison Scouts did it three or four years ago. Sometimes older elements still work very well. Sometimes new-fangled elements are only new and not better.

I would be curious to know if the percussion judges criticized Thunderbirds for not amplifying their pit (I thought they sounded just fine; as I recall, when amplification was passed in DCI, the Cavaliers' director said his corp would not be making use of it, but then they did so, and some have said it was because the judges demanded it) or for not having a synthesizer, or for not using Bb horns.

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I would be curious to know if the percussion judges criticized Thunderbirds for not amplifying their pit (I thought they sounded just fine; as I recall, when amplification was passed in DCI, the Cavaliers' director said his corp would not be making use of it, but then they did so, and some have said it was because the judges demanded it) or for not having a synthesizer, or for not using Bb horns.

I'd venture to say that as a growing organization, they're trying to keep costs low and toting around electronics/affording electronics isn't necessarily something in their plans.  Maybe at some point in the future they'll add it, but they've had the G bugles from the Alumni Corps days, so to spend money on an all Bb setup right now isn't worth it honestly.... ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 minute ago, ErieSopMike said:

I'd venture to say that as a growing organization, they're trying to keep costs low and toting around electronics/affording electronics isn't necessarily something in their plans.  Maybe at some point in the future they'll add it, but they've had the G bugles from the Alumni Corps days, so to spend money on an all Bb setup right now isn't worth it honestly.... ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think it is refreshing to hear an unmiked pit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Blue Devils started in the endzone this year. Madison Scouts did it three or four years ago. Sometimes older elements still work very well. Sometimes new-fangled elements are only new and not better.

.1 out in prelims I'd say not. the spread was wider at finals, but at least on Flobuffering.com it seemed they didnt have as good of a run sunday percussively. Then again, given Flo's issues, who knows.

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

.1 out in prelims I'd say not. the spread was wider at finals, but at least on Flobuffering.com it seemed they didnt have as good of a run sunday percussively. Then again, given Flo's issues, who knows.

Thanks. I hadn't checked the recaps. I felt that Erie's overall score on Sunday was about right but that they were scored too low and too close to Knights on Saturday.

Back to the original post, I sat in the 306 section during almost all of prelims. I saw and heard no distractions. 

I could be wrong. Was anyone offended by the staffs? 

1 hour ago, AoEnut said:

Rolls Eyes ...

Well, I suppose if one didn't like the BD 2017 or Scouts 2013 shows, that would be the appropriate reaction.