DCA's; Staff/Instructor Noise That Interferes with Show

There are spots where it isn't "random clapping" on my part. Something rather exquisitely designed and beautifully timed and performed  happens that took a lot of time on all ends from the design and performance standpoint and is SUPPOSED to elicit a positive reaction in the middle of a segment... and no one reacts. Happened about twice at Williamsport. Was worried I was getting "The Look". (TM me)

Loaded question: If no one will react to anything in the middle of a musical segment because that's "naughty to do".... they WHY design to elicit response when the audience won't respond because they're the Walking Dead? Design to end every number with the big moment, the heck with the rest.  Set a whale sized pause in the program so every dolt knows to put their hands together. Is this what's it's going to come to eventually?

Or... is this why people grich about the shows being "designed only for the panels" because there are things designed in people just don't get??? From my view, that's impossible for me to get my arms around in most circumstances I react to because it's very difficult to elicit a fistpump and a "YEAH!" out of me.

All I know is this- If I have to have friends/bodyguards surround me again like I did at Hershey in the mid-90's that told me I could enjoy and they'd have my back to get me to go back again...hey. I may as well stay home and spend my weekend on World of Tanks and watch DCI/DCA bootlegs online and subscribe to FloMarching. Cheaper to roll out my Achilles MkIIC and Tiger and snipe poor sots who never saw what hit them and take myself out later for a 50 dollar top end dinner when I'm hungry.

3 hours ago, BigW said:

All I know is this- If I have to have friends/bodyguards surround me again like I did at Hershey in the mid-90's

Heh... a story only semi-related to the topic, but this line reminded me of it...

The Hershey show, 1990s... several corps staffers sat/stood in the aisle, next to where I was in the press box. That spot was off-limits to corps staff.... and Jim Kyle, working show security, came over and asked them to move. Twice, and they didn't move.

OK... the folks who know Jim know he's a BIG dude, FBI/DEA agent... laid back, friendly, great guy, but I would never want to push his buttons.

Well.... apparently those buttons got pushed... because when Jim returned for the third time, he got in their faces and was done asking.  LOL.  "I said, MOVE!!!! NOW!!!!"

They got the message and relocated, limbs intact. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

What will they do in Williamsport?  :laughing:

it's possible they could get a special permit from the state.

or not. I mean people survived Allentown all those years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... a story only semi-related to the topic, but this line reminded me of it...

The Hershey show, 1990s... several corps staffers sat/stood in the aisle, next to where I was in the press box. That spot was off-limits to corps staff.... and Jim Kyle, working show security, came over and asked them to move. Twice, and they didn't move.

OK... the folks who know Jim know he's a BIG dude, FBI/DEA agent... laid back, friendly, great guy, but I would never want to push his buttons.

Well.... apparently those buttons got pushed... because when Jim returned for the third time, he got in their faces and was done asking.  LOL.  "I said, MOVE!!!! NOW!!!!"

They got the message and relocated, limbs intact. :tongue:

and worse, people on the track were supposed to have a sign showing staff where to go...and usually just sat and watched the show

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's possible they could get a special permit from the state.

or not. I mean people survived Allentown all those years

I gotta figure... if someone can't go without an alcoholic beverage for a few hours, that person might have problems that drum corps can't fix.  LOL

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 11:43 AM, Triple Forte said:

The only thing is, what do you do/think if the staffs reactions to their show interferes with "your"ability to enjoy the show? That is issue/concern.  A lot of staffs are fine but others are not and that's why it's important to point it out and address it. Nobody wants or expects the staff to sit there with their hands folded politely. It is the excessive clapping and constant cheering that is a problem. If some staffs can be respectful of the people (fans) around them then why can't all staffs do that ? 

Excellent point - I can assure you that the judges get very annoyed when their focus is distracted by staff members trying to "lead the crowd."  We all know what that is: loud clapping at a spot where the audience reaction has been slow/muted/non-existent, yelling out encouragement disproportionately to everyone else, etc..

IMO: it's like anything else - it's fine to actually react to a performance, but some take it too far.  I have a friend who is a veteran corps/band judge, and he says he always pays attention to where each group's "rooting section" is, and then he discounts any reaction from them during their team's performance.

Back-in-the-day, so much of the staff paroxysms were on the track and much less disruptive.  Perhaps DCA and DCI should make better plans for "upstairs staff," and leave the newbies to hype on the field. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I gotta figure... if someone can't go without an alcoholic beverage for a few hours, that person might have problems that drum corps can't fix.  LOL

denial....not just a river in Williamsport

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Excellent point - I can assure you that the judges get very annoyed when their focus is distracted by staff members trying to "lead the crowd."  We all know what that is: loud clapping at a spot where the audience reaction has been slow/muted/non-existent, yelling out encouragement disproportionately to everyone else, etc..

IMO: it's like anything else - it's fine to actually react to a performance, but some take it too far.  I have a friend who is a veteran corps/band judge, and he says he always pays attention to where each group's "rooting section" is, and then he discounts any reaction from them during their team's performance.

Back-in-the-day, so much of the staff paroxysms were on the track and much less disruptive.  Perhaps DCA and DCI should make better plans for "upstairs staff," and leave the newbies to hype on the field. 

thank God corps fans dont bring cowbells and whistles and air horns

• Like 2
  • Haha 2