2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

54 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Joe has moved on from being chief of Bridgeport who now has a different mayor. You may google this yourself.

This allowed Joe extra time to participate in the SCV Alumni doings for the jubilee year appearances. When he aged out of SCV, he was a great tech at Cadets where we served together. Great guy.

"Moved On":

Did not know he had left.  Thanks for the info.  Joe had marched with Park City Pride Alumni at the begining of the corps run.  Last trip we were able to make "Back Home", he was still Top Cop.

Thanks again.

Elphaba     :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

3 hours ago, camel lips said:

Skyliners should have started in November like the rest of the pack or else they would not be sitting on the sidelines . 

WTF is THAT all about???

I suppose Sky also should not have had that accident  involving their equipment vehicle that cost them time, money, and nearly the loss of the vehicle driver's life.... and was a big psychological blow to them, as it would be to any corps who had to deal with a setback like that. 

Good Lord, Ed... give it a rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geez... First I see the "How did C2 jump 2 points on Finals night and no one else really moved" post on a DCA facebook page, then I see this over here... 

Thought we were all in this together, lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

Now I have to be careful here, because I am a Kidsgrove alumnus and I am marching next year... this is MY opinion only and I do NOT speak for the organisation... but.... Is the contest not called the DCA WORLD Championships? Furthermore, Kidsgrove works just as hard or even HARDER than most corps in DCA as A, the average age at Kidsgrove is actually quite high (average age in the hornline is probably low thirties or even higher) when compared to other DCA corps filled with DCI aged members, and B, there is no high school or college marching band scene in the UK so therefor you could argue that UK members are behind the 8 ball from the off... we simply do not have a ready made supply of experienced marchers over here. Basics in the early winter are pretty brutal to be honest.

DCUK, DCE and DCA rules are exactly the same with regards to age and instrumentation.

We start rehearsing in October. Once DCE is finished, the corps takes about a three week break and then we are back at it every other weekend with only a small break in the end of the summer. The members of Kidsgrove Scouts all sacrificed greatly in terms of time, money, being away from family etc... why should a European corps (or any international corps for that matter) that plays by DCA's rules, expect to take a backseat to an American corps simply because of the postcode where their mail gets delivered? They are playing by the same rules and judged on the same sheets and should be rewarded as such. If that means someone gets displaced that would have made it otherwise... oh well.

I personally enjoy seeing other corps come in and earn their spot.  Kidsgrove did just that.  They came over, performed in the DCA sanctioned show in Reading and got their score.  That helped seed them for Prelims then that score earned got them to Finals.  If people want to complain about that, Cincinnati Tradition was placed "last" in Class A with NO DCA scored shows (it was out of their control that the shows they were to attend got canceled).  They went on to WIN Class A.  

I appreciate the efforts that Kidsgrove put in and hope to see them come back in a couple years time and do it all over again!  

To those that want to throw words around that Kidsgrove stole a spot, it's just not true.  They got what they earned.  If that was over other corps, then so be it.  That's the nature of the activity.  They put on a show, were judged just like every other corps out there and were given their score.

There were a bunch of corps' this year that had hardships they suffered along the way.  To those that want to bash Sky, go ahead, but also take a look and see which corps HELPED them after that accident.  If any corps was able to do something, they did.  I'm sure someone has a list of who donated what, let them borrow what, etc... 

So, I'll leave to get ready for work with this:

We all love the activity.  As Fran said, in an activity that is judged by people, no one will ever be happy with the end results.  To add onto that:  It's a wonderful experience that we should all enjoy and cherish.  We want to build active membership in DCA, not stifle it.  We all know I'm one who's looking to start a corps (I'm crazy, I know), and there are others like me who are.  Surprises will happen, hard work will happen, scores are eventually just numbers.  Enjoy the creative products and efforts that we all put together and display on the field.  Someday it might be all we have to talk about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ErieSopMike said:

I personally enjoy seeing other corps come in and earn their spot.  Kidsgrove did just that.  They came over, performed in the DCA sanctioned show in Reading and got their score.  That helped seed them for Prelims then that score earned got them to Finals.  If people want to complain about that, Cincinnati Tradition was placed "last" in Class A with NO DCA scored shows (it was out of their control that the shows they were to attend got canceled).  They went on to WIN Class A.  

I appreciate the efforts that Kidsgrove put in and hope to see them come back in a couple years time and do it all over again!  

To those that want to throw words around that Kidsgrove stole a spot, it's just not true.  They got what they earned.  If that was over other corps, then so be it.  That's the nature of the activity.  They put on a show, were judged just like every other corps out there and were given their score.

There were a bunch of corps' this year that had hardships they suffered along the way.  To those that want to bash Sky, go ahead, but also take a look and see which corps HELPED them after that accident.  If any corps was able to do something, they did.  I'm sure someone has a list of who donated what, let them borrow what, etc... 

So, I'll leave to get ready for work with this:

We all love the activity.  As Fran said, in an activity that is judged by people, no one will ever be happy with the end results.  To add onto that:  It's a wonderful experience that we should all enjoy and cherish.  We want to build active membership in DCA, not stifle it.  We all know I'm one who's looking to start a corps (I'm crazy, I know), and there are others like me who are.  Surprises will happen, hard work will happen, scores are eventually just numbers.  Enjoy the creative products and efforts that we all put together and display on the field.  Someday it might be all we have to talk about.

What he said. Regardless of what I personally think about the results it was a great show. But the communication caption is GE redundancy and the circuit needs a field visual judge again

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

What he said. Regardless of what I personally think about the results it was a great show. But the communication caption is GE redundancy and the circuit needs a field visual judge again

Nah. The visual ensemble judge is responsible for the few things that fell under field visual, and they ##### that stuff very well (I've heard enough tapes the last few years to be certain of that). It's a misnomer that bringing back FV will somehow automagically clean things up. Corps will either be clean or won't be, and that's just the nature of the beast. 

The single best thing DCA has done in the last few years was get all the field judges out of the performance area. It eliminates unnecessary distractions for performers and fans, and creates a much safer stage.

If you feel the VE judge isn't doing enough, that's a reasonable argument, and it's one that could be addressed via training, not adding another redundant judge.

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Joe has moved on from being chief of Bridgeport who now has a different mayor. You may google this yourself.

This allowed Joe extra time to participate in the SCV Alumni doings for the jubilee year appearances. When he aged out of SCV, he was a great tech at Cadets where we served together. Great guy.

And did great work with HS Bands in CT back when I was judging a lot up there. Great guy!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

And did great work with HS Bands in CT back when I was judging a lot up there. Great guy!

I would imagine he is one of only a relative handful of people who have won a DCI and DCA championship in the same season. Talk about being with the right corps at the right time!!!

• Like 1

We had a great time in Rochester.  I'm waffling a bit about going to Williamsport.  We may just drive and bring our stadium seats.  

Lots of great performances over the last two days.  Bucs really left no doubt.  Amazing. 

Of course, we did some celebrating last night with CT's staff.  I'm exhausted! 

Drum corps season here in the US is over.  See you all in the late spring!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Nah. The visual ensemble judge is responsible for the few things that fell under field visual, and they ##### that stuff very well (I've heard enough tapes the last few years to be certain of that). It's a misnomer that bringing back FV will somehow automagically clean things up. Corps will either be clean or won't be, and that's just the nature of the beast. 

The single best thing DCA has done in the last few years was get all the field judges out of the performance area. It eliminates unnecessary distractions for performers and fans, and creates a much safer stage.

If you feel the VE judge isn't doing enough, that's a reasonable argument, and it's one that could be addressed via training, not adding another redundant judge.

After what I saw at Reading I will greatly disagree with you. Corps scoring close to 90 or above should not have visible blown step offs, halts, bumper cars or out of step members.  It was as so bad old ladies around me caught it. And it's been a growing trend, right up to the top corps as visual risk has grown. 

There re are things you just will not catch up too and nor should they be asked to. That's not the nature of the sheet

Edited by Jeff Ream
Correction
  • Like 1