2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It is only the DCA side that suffers.  Maybe that reflects a decline in the general level of interest in DCA nowadays.  Or, maybe people refrain from participating here because of how they are treated when they do.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up for me. 

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yet, you are all still here.  Go figure.

What has really changed?  DCP was never the primary place for organizations to make and control their own PR.  Corps and circuits use their own web media to do that, like they always have since before there even was a DCP.  

The DCI forum here is hugely populated and full of discussion, profound and not-so-profound.  Clearly, Drum Corps Planet is not irrelevant.  It is only the DCA side that suffers.  Maybe that reflects a decline in the general level of interest in DCA nowadays.  Or, maybe people refrain from participating here because of how they are treated when they do.

The DCI side has seen a *massive* decline as well, but since it was substantially larger to begin with it's not as easily noticed. You're absolutely right though, in that DCP was never a place for corps to do any official work outside of the occasional press release.

I'm here because I participate in the DCI side (pretty much since day one of DCP), so it's easy to check in on the DCA forums. If I wasn't visiting the DCI section on a regular basis, I probably wouldn't bother here, to be honest. There's more lively DCA discussion elsewhere. But yes, I am still here (and so are you)/

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 3:10 AM, Kamarag said:

Most of the DCA-related conversation has moved to Facebook groups and the growing /r/drumcorps subreddit. To be honest, this isn't a DCA thing, it's an internet thing. Dedicated forum web sites are really a thing of the past.

Hmm. I'm not a reddit user, so maybe I'm navigating it wrong, but I just took a look at this page: https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/

... and to judge from the subject lines (plus clicking on a few posts with ambiguous titles), nothing on the first page, second page, or third page (with 25 threads per page) is about DCA. The first thread about DCA comes well down the fourth page; its subject is the minicorps scores, and it received just one reply. A few pages later, there's another short thread. Then another on the page after that. But nothing like as much commentary on DCA as here: I don't see any of those few DCA threads having more than 15 replies (i.e., less than two pages of any numbers of threads here).

And there seems to be much less activity in that forum about DCI than in the DCI forum here on DCP: more threads, but fewer responses per thread.

Plus the commentary there seem much briefer on average than here. Is there anything there like the review threads here? Any serious writing there?

(Also I don't really like how threads there are formatted: click on the thread only to have it show just original post and three replies unless I select "more"?)

So if that's the future of online drum corps discussions, it sure seems like a big step backwards.

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yet, you are all still here.  Go figure.

What has really changed?  DCP was never the primary place for organizations to make and control their own PR.  Corps and circuits use their own web media to do that, like they always have since before there even was a DCP.  

The DCI forum here is hugely populated and full of discussion, profound and not-so-profound.  Clearly, Drum Corps Planet is not irrelevant.  It is only the DCA side that suffers.  Maybe that reflects a decline in the general level of interest in DCA nowadays.  Or, maybe people refrain from participating here because of how they are treated when they do.

that and corps discourage members posting. In the beginning, because this wasn't RAMD, it was ok. But being an online forum where tempers can flare, it got a bad rep.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that and corps discourage members posting. In the beginning, because this wasn't RAMD, it was ok. But being an online forum where tempers can flare, it got a bad rep.

Jeff - you bring up a key point. Here is some additional information. The year, roughly 2006.

The DCA website had no option for corps/fan interaction on a direct, live platform. It still does not.  If fans wanted to 'converse,' in public, they used RAMD. As you note, that site was not monitored and often became vulgar. Nasty accusations about corps and specific persons were common. Both Facebook and Reddit went public about 2005. They were relatively unknown back then. Not yet viable options.

John Donovan purchased Drum Corps Planet also around that time, 2005.  DCA contacted John with a proposal for Drum Corps Planet to coordinate with DCA and serve as a DCA platform for information and live discussion.  John was most interested and very supportive, both financially and in person. This relationship was to be a key part of marketing DCA to a wider audience, in a timely way . . . . and with moderation. A safe, reliable place to serve DCA enthusiasts. 

Good things began to happen through the resources provided by DCP.  John Donovan deserves great credit for his assistance. I will always remain grateful to John, and to Steve Vickers of Drum Corps World who assisted in broadening the reach of DCA. Both gentlemen continue their efforts.  Unfortunately, too many DCA decision-makers, back then, were overly cautious in maximizing the potential of an emerging 'new media' marketing opportunity.

You are correct, Jeff. Some corps management teams did prohibit their members from Drum Corps Planet participation. There was a fear, I suppose, someone might post something unsavory. The 'RAMD Effect,' no doubt. But, that behavior could have easily been cleaned up. That early management decision is, I believe, a factor in today's 'sluggish' DCA discussion output here on Drum Corp Planet.  These days, alternate places for drum corps discussion are readily available. Perhaps, if DCA gave DCP more chance to 'root' early on, there would be a regular and reliable DCA base here today.

As N.E. Brigand accurately notes, posts elsewhere lack the depth of discussion that used to take place here regularly. I miss those readings here and hope we can get that back to DCP. I don't participate on Facebook and similar sites. Information is too lean, even frivolous. But, it's a new generation out there. They communicate much differently.

So, here we are . . . .

Edited by Fred Windish

DCP and /r/drumcorps are complementary -- the drumcorps subreddit is more aimed at current members than fans. The activity on reddit ebbs and flows with the competitive season, so right now things are relatively quiet and most of the discussions are from people thinking about auditioning for DCI soon.

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Jeff - you bring up a key point. Here is some additional information. The year, roughly 2006.

The DCA website had no option for corps/fan interaction on a direct, live platform. It still does not.  If fans wanted to 'converse,' in public, they used RAMD. As you note, that site was not monitored and often became vulgar. Nasty accusations about corps and specific persons were common. Both Facebook and Reddit went public about 2005. They were relatively unknown back then. Not yet viable options.

John Donovan purchased Drum Corps Planet also around that time, 2005.  DCA contacted John with a proposal for Drum Corps Planet to coordinate with DCA and serve as a DCA platform for information and live discussion.  John was most interested and very supportive, both financially and in person. This relationship was to be a key part of marketing DCA to a wider audience, in a timely way . . . . and with moderation. A safe, reliable place to serve DCA enthusiasts. 

Good things began to happen through the resources provided by DCP.  John Donovan deserves great credit for his assistance. I will always remain grateful to John, and to Steve Vickers of Drum Corps World who assisted in broadening the reach of DCA. Both gentlemen continue their efforts.  Unfortunately, too many DCA decision-makers, back then, were overly cautious in maximizing the potential of an emerging 'new media' marketing opportunity.

You are correct, Jeff. Some corps management teams did prohibit their members from Drum Corps Planet participation. There was a fear, I suppose, someone might post something unsavory. The 'RAMD Effect,' no doubt. But, that behavior could have easily been cleaned up. That early management decision is, I believe, a factor in today's 'sluggish' DCA discussion output here on Drum Corp Planet.  These days, alternate places for drum corps discussion are readily available. Perhaps, if DCA gave DCP more chance to 'root' early on, there would be a regular and reliable DCA base here today.

As N.E. Brigand accurately notes, posts elsewhere lack the depth of discussion that used to take place here regularly. I miss those readings here and hope we can get that back to DCP. I don't participate on Facebook and similar sites. Information is too lean, even frivolous. But, it's a new generation out there. They communicate much differently.

So, here we are . . . .

well, DCA marketing hasn't helped since about...oh...2008? LOL

but since 2002 when DCp launched, anything online where members could post was considered taboo by many corps administrations......here, RAMD, SoundMachine etc. Still is. I love how people trash the place, yet they check in daily to read. I know many people stopped doing reviews because people got themselves in a lather over them, and several of us received nasty grams via email or messenger for what we put up.

As a staff member i was asked not to post, despite the fact i said nothing about the corps i was with. 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:50 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh, good catch.

However, what camel lips said is that 7th had "become" the standard international placement. Since Kidsgrove placed 6th in  2010 and 2015, that's arguable.

Still, you're absolutely right that overseas corps have twice placed 7th.

Correct  I didn't phrase it right, I should have just said "Stop with the BS lies that they ONLY come in 7th"

On 9/4/2017 at 4:59 AM, Fracker said:

That's it!  No more drum corps:52_fearful:

Still plenty of Drum Corps left to see here in Europe DCUK this weekend and then the European Drum Corps Championships from Holland on the 28th Sept .

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Thanks 1