2017 DCA Finals

KVG_DC

6 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Only problem with that more America corps out of finals ,With out Kidsgrove this year Skyliners would have made finals .

Now I have to be careful here, because I am a Kidsgrove alumnus and I am marching next year... this is MY opinion only and I do NOT speak for the organisation... but.... Is the contest not called the DCA WORLD Championships? Furthermore, Kidsgrove works just as hard or even HARDER than most corps in DCA as A, the average age at Kidsgrove is actually quite high (average age in the hornline is probably low thirties or even higher) when compared to other DCA corps filled with DCI aged members, and B, there is no high school or college marching band scene in the UK so therefor you could argue that UK members are behind the 8 ball from the off... we simply do not have a ready made supply of experienced marchers over here. Basics in the early winter are pretty brutal to be honest.

DCUK, DCE and DCA rules are exactly the same with regards to age and instrumentation.

We start rehearsing in October. Once DCE is finished, the corps takes about a three week break and then we are back at it every other weekend with only a small break in the end of the summer. The members of Kidsgrove Scouts all sacrificed greatly in terms of time, money, being away from family etc... why should a European corps (or any international corps for that matter) that plays by DCA's rules, expect to take a backseat to an American corps simply because of the postcode where their mail gets delivered? They are playing by the same rules and judged on the same sheets and should be rewarded as such. If that means someone gets displaced that would have made it otherwise... oh well.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or if it's obvious, but are DCA corps scored on the same sheets as DCI? I'm no DCA expert so don't judge me 

No.

1 hour ago, HBD said:

It was "The Bushwacker rule". Put in after our 3rd title, Disappeared after our 6th title.

And that rule made no sense then, or now!!!  LOL

5 hours ago, Kay said:

Too bad its the first time an international corps placed 7th, but facts have never been important for your conspiracy theories. 

Oh snap!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

I'm no means a DCA expert but I do remember once upon a time that DCA had some limit on how many additional members could march in championships against how many were counted in the line for contests in the first weekend of August or August first. Maybe they still do?  The increase of membership wasn't just the addition of DCI members to various corps but DCA veterans who sat out most of the summer and jumped in the final two weeks to add a screamer, a soloist, or some bolstered section (95 contras for instance or adding past championship flags carried in the honor guard.)

I concur with Fran that this has been going at least since DCA became All-Age rather than Senior corps. Even back then it sometimes happened I've heard.

It's been going on since the beginning of time 

Edited by Jeff Ream
Spelling

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree, I think there was some sort of "limit the number of last-minute additions" rule at one point, but that rule is long gone.  And the "adding members" thing goes back many, many years.

My days marching DCA... late 1970s-early 1980s... we had at least a couple of occasions when someone came off DCI tour and filled a spot for us down the home stretch. 

One of the people had marched with us, went to a DCI corps for a couple of years, aged out, then rejoined us for the DCA home stretch in 1981 and a full season the next year.

Also in 1981, the Hurricanes had a guy who won the DCI title with SCV that summer, then was with the Hurcs for the end of the DCA season, and won a DCA title with them!!! Not a bad summer, at all!!!

"Not a Bad Summer":

The person mentioned as a member of the DCI and DCA 1981  Champion is also now the Chief of Police in Bridgeport.   His Dad (Also a Bridgeport cop) was a snare drummer for the old Stratford Yankees and Bridgeport Troopers senior corps as well as a drum instructor for two of our cross town rivals, the olde St Raphael's Buccaneers and PAL Cadets.

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or if it's obvious, but are DCA corps scored on the same sheets as DCI? I'm no DCA expert so don't judge me 

No totality different sheets and system with fewer judges, even more GE reliant 

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

Them pesky WORLD championships getting in the way with a NE good ole boy network . 

What were they thinking traveling all that distance ??? 

Skyliners should have started in November like the rest of the pack or else they would not be sitting on the sidelines . 

Ok so please caption by caption lay out your rationale for why Kidsgrove should have placed higher. I enjoyed their show and saw a great improvement in a week. But I'm not sure that means they should have medaled. So please oh wise one, educate me

9 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

"Not a Bad Summer":

The person mentioned as a member of the DCI and DCA 1981  Champion is also now the Chief of Police in Bridgeport.   His Dad (Also a Bridgeport cop) was a snare drummer for the old Stratford Yankees and Bridgeport Troopers senior corps as well as a drum instructor for two of our cross town rivals, the olde St Raphael's Buccaneers and PAL Cadets.

Elphaba      :flower:

Joe has moved on from being chief of Bridgeport who now has a different mayor. You may google this yourself.

This allowed Joe extra time to participate in the SCV Alumni doings for the jubilee year appearances. When he aged out of SCV, he was a great tech at Cadets where we served together. Great guy.

• Like 1

so...

which corps were everyone's top 3?

i really liked a bunch of the corps but my top 3 in terms of just enjoyment were

1. CV

2. C2

3. Kidsgrove

my guard pick would be CV

percussion C2

Brass Bucs

Visual overall Bucs

just feet Kidsgrove

solos Cabs