College Band Festivals, Planning ahead

9 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

New this year (I believe)

https://marchingchamps.com/

For me to take this website as being a serious attempt, it would need to target University Band Directors in a professional manner. But the first paragraph on the home page targets students by appealing to, of all things, the love of parent-child relationships and states the following:

"Marching Band has been your passion. Remember how your parents became huge fans when you got involved? They have loved you and taken great pride in your accomplishments. You have worked your whole life for this. Long hours practicing marching technique and music in the hot summer sun resulted in brilliant shows for your school’s fans. Now it is your time to shine."

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Ah, it was before that. That is great!

and then there are the eleven other college bands (and U. of New Haven doing both festivals) who will be the following weekend at the College of the Holy Cross on I-295 in Worchester, Mass. (pronounced Wooster, like in Ohio.)

• 3 weeks later...

The annual Newsdat festival is a one-stop place to see high school marching bands from around the island perform their current programs of choreographed moves, colorful routines and musical entertainment. 
WHEN|WHERE 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, through Thursday, Oct. 19 (rain dates Oct. 23-25), Mitchel Athletic Complex, 1 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Uniondale  
INFO 631-843-2214, newsday.com/marchingbandfestival 
ADMISSION $10 (free ages 10 and younger) 

{Edit: so it's no BOA regional, Texas UIL or USBands at some NFL stadium; in fact almost no props and each band only plays and marches for about 8 minutes each. But it is two dozen different bands each night, the kids try just as hard, and there is some excellent musicianship in some of the units. LI has 60-70 high schools in just two counties Suffolk and Nassau. Only about a dozen bands do corps style competitions. This is the chance for all the others; if you are in the area or if you're tired of the never ending baseball-until-Christmas playoffs.]

On 9/4/2017 at 10:20 AM, xandandl said:

Yes, as I posted in my OP, "There is also some site floating about concerning a proported "National" College Marching Band "championship" in Columbia, SC in December but the site gives few details and may just be someone's speculative hopes."

Anyone can start a website, but few follow through. If no details by now when university and college schedules have been set well in advance by a year or so, I doubt if this is/will be a reality. Check the Gamecocks band schedule for one.; USC is in Columbia, SC and the supposed contest does not appear on their schedule for 2017. DCP has seen a number of idealists over the years announcing new corps that never existed excepted in the poster's fantasies. (Hollywood Knights, Lion of Judah, etc.) This is probably like that.

Except the Hollywood Knights really did exist, competing in several contests in the 1983 season.