Allegiance to the Corps or to the Staff?

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Look how many " local based " US Companies closed up their local business operations and began " fleeing " out of the US too. Not much " local loyalty " there either. 

Some of it is " generational " too regarding what constitutes " loyalty " when " loyalty " runs up against other countervailing values.

For example, Quick story... true story. I know a guy that lost his job at age 47 when his company moved overseas and closed down. He worked for that company after college for 25 years. One job, one company, 25 years. He went for an interview for a job then with another company and was interviewed there by 2 Human Resource Co. Interviewers, one age 29, the other 54. After the both interviewed the applicant, they compared notes. the 29 year old HR guy asked the 54 year old HR guy what he thought of him. The 54 yr. old HR guy said he was " impressed with his loyalty to his previous employer, as he worked there 25 years . Thats a positive in my assessment ". Then that 54 yr. old HR guy ashed the 29 yr. old HR guy what he thought of the applicant. The 29 yr. old HR guy responded " well, the guy stayed with just one company for 25 years, until they closed on him. He seemed to lack ambition for 25 years to me. Thats a real negative in my assessment on that point "

So, things change, and with that, even how one defines the term " loyalty " it would appear.

I love that story.  It serves as an allegory of the fundamentally different mindsets of millenials vs. boomers/genX.  It's just the world we live in.  Ya roll with it or everything passes you by. 

• Like 2

College athletics is the same way now, kids are just as likely to leave their hometown as stay with a local school. And they are likely to sign and leave a school because of staff changes.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

In the drumming world of DCI it has been this way 'for decades': the Dennis Delucia drumners followed him wherever he went, the Tom Float Drummers followed him, the Paul Rennick drummers followed him, etc.... That is nothing new within DCI drumming.

When Garfield let our great percussion instructor George Tuthill go after the 71 season, two of Garfield's snares, all three of us tri-toms and two timpani players quit and moved over  to the Cabs where he was also the percussion instructor. I decided not to march with the Cabs and went back to Garfield, but not to play a percussion instrument in honor of Gaorge. Played baritone in 72.

I mean. who would want to play in a drum line taught by this new guy.....Fred Sanford.     :35_thinking:

I had a great learning year on horn with Don Angelica, so it was not as bad as  it looks!!!!

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 5

Drum corp used to be more regional at the first half of the season. You had DCM, Drumcorp West and East. BD and SCV didn't start their national tours until at least Mid-July. Now the DC season ends on the west coast except for some open class completions in early July.

18 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I love that story.  It serves as an allegory of the fundamentally different mindsets of millenials vs. boomers/genX.  It's just the world we live in.  Ya roll with it or everything passes you by. 

As the OP once said in a famed film, Get busy living or get busy dying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

As the OP once said in a famed film, Get busy living or get busy dying.

Nicely done.

Of course, it took him, what, 19 years?

21 hours ago, MikeD said:

I mean. who would want to play in a drum line taught by this new guy.....Fred Sanford.     :35_thinking:

Who would want to play? Well to find out ask SCV drummers from the 70's that won all of those drum titles, then also ask BD drummers from the early 90's after Float left and just before the BD move to Rennick/Glyde/Johnson.

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Who would want to play? Well to find out ask SCV drummers from the 70's that won all of those drum titles, then also ask BD drummers from the early 90's after Float left and just before the BD move to Rennick/Glyde/Johnson.

Uh, yeah...that was the point of my statement and emoji.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Uh, yeah...that was the point of my statement and emoji.

Light humor: Not his forte.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1