Missing!

18 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Did you even watch DCA this year? Every finalist was incredibly entertaining, in their own unique way. While it may be true that no current corps favors schmaltz, cheese, and the overuse of fire extinguishers, the very idea that that's the only thing that's 'entertaining' is patently absurd. 

I always roll my eyes when someone comes online and tells us "what Vince's idea was" or "What Cos would think of all this". You know what? They'd probably love it and tell the corps to keep on striving for uniqueness in their entertainment.

If you (royal "you") did watch DCA this year and didn't find the corps wildly entertaining, you have a cold, dead heart.

Vent your rage at the OP, then.

Yes, I did watch DCA (as much as Flo would allow).  Even the video stream was enough to pull me off the couch for several standing ovations.  I enjoy DCI, too, so I will still enjoy DCA even as it becomes the exact same flavor of drum corps that DCI offers.  

You know, that is why I said it would be pointless to debate "what is entertaining".  In fact, that is why I do not review shows, and usually refrain from giving opinions (even positive ones) regarding DCA in particular.  The level of rage and hostility is just too high.  Complement any corps, and some other corps gets offended.  Reminisce about anything in the past, and you are branded as hating all things current.

Every one who works for DCA, whether administration, volunteers, corps staff... you all need to take a serious look at how you treat your customers.  I understand how frustrating that can get, especially as trolls emerge in the aftermath of Labor Day weekend.  Do not take those frustrations out on the rest of us.

39 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You know, that is why I said it would be pointless to debate "what is entertaining".  In fact, that is why I do not review shows, and usually refrain from giving opinions (even positive ones) regarding DCA in particular.  The level of rage and hostility is just too high.  Complement any corps, and some other corps gets offended.  Reminisce about anything in the past, and you are branded as hating all things current.

Unfortunately, that's the way messages boards operate.  NO message is quite good enough.

I certainly enjoyed this year's DCA Championship, but often wonder if this segment of the activity could be better served with LESS emulation of what is seen in DCI. I don't see much crossover interest shown by DCI fans. Maybe, there's too much 'been there, done that' in DCA for those folks.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Vent your rage at the OP, then.

Every one who works for DCA, whether administration, volunteers, corps staff... you all need to take a serious look at how you treat your customers.  I understand how frustrating that can get, especially as trolls emerge in the aftermath of Labor Day weekend.  Do not take those frustrations out on the rest of us.

Oh, it's not rage. More like disappointment in the folks that post utter nonsense like the OP, especially when they cite Statesmen as the grand standard for what's entertaining. I'm also not frustrated...if anything replies like yours are mildly amusing, because I know you aren't in the majority. Far from it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Hope you didn't go to see the Mini's  @ WCs - TWO Malagas in 5 groups!

"Malaga & Maleguena":

Wouldn't mind hearing those two old chestnuts again.  Maybe Hawthorne's Alumni corps will get Larry Kerchner to pen a chart for them.

On G BUGLES too!!!!!!!!!!!!    :bleah:

Elphaba       :flower:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Unfortunately, that's the way messages boards operate.  NO message is quite good enough.

I certainly enjoyed this year's DCA Championship, but often wonder if this segment of the activity could be better served with LESS emulation of what is seen in DCI. I don't see much crossover interest shown by DCI fans. Maybe, there's too much 'been there, done that' in DCA for those folks.

Ok, give some specific examples from this year's shows of what you believe is "emulating what is seen in DCI" . And go beyond electronics and microphones...that stuff isn't emulation. Give some well-reasoned examples in terms of show design. We'll wait. (I'm not saying you are wrong here...I just want to see what you think the emulation points are).

Also, when you state "I don't see much crossover interest shown by DCI fans. Maybe, there's too much "been there, done that' in DCA for those folks", you're proceeding on the false assumption that DCA fans aren't also DCI fans. DCI is getting more exposure to DCA thought the massive number of DCA veterans moving to DCI corps (and also the reverse), and this year from FLO's excellent coverage.

The number of Blue Devils alumni who were turned on to DCA this past weekend via the FLO coverage was impressive, based on their postings in our alumni groups. I highly suspect it was similar elsewhere. Hopefully FLO will release some viewer numbers at some point.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

While it's certainly true that "what's entertaining" is a subject of great and constant debate in DCA, DCI, WGI, BOA, USBands, and a myriad of other amateur marching music acronym associations, we would do well to remember which constituents invest the most time and money into these activities: that would be the performing members.  What do THEY find most valuable that will engage an audience that is worth the performer's' investment?

No doubt that a portion of the audience is there to support the members as much or more than be entertained.  That doesn't mean that they have to be bored - just engaged in some way by a variety of concepts and approaches to the medium.  Hopefully, they'll always be vets and others who like this stuff for what it is - a niche activity.

Obviously, everything is personal preference. There is no wrong statement of what someone saw, or would prefer to have seen. But, I'll play along . . .

I saw . . .

more than enough requisite body movements and standardized individual 'frozen poses.'

an increase in short brass 'flourishes,' rather than melodic development. 

show designs reminiscent of Blue Knights, as opposed to an Academy-style I think would be more appropriate.

overuse of bass goo to give the impression of bigger brass sections.

Because championship attendance continues to fall, I did not get the impression of a new body of interested customers. I also noted a small number of DCP followers. Particularly troubling was during the announcement of scores.  What was recently 300-400 logged-in, this time stayed at about 50.

You saw something quite different. Fine.

15 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Because championship attendance continues to fall, I did not get the impression of a new body of interested customers.

Championship attendance will skyrocket next year. Given the fact that Rochester has held ten of the last twelve or so championships, and there's now zero local corps competing there, i thought attendance would be a lot lower than it was. People don't like Rochester. They don't like going there, and they certainly don't like going back.

Williamsport has an excellent chance of doing very, very well. Save this post and quote me one year from today.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kamarag said:

Championship attendance will skyrocket next year. Given the fact that Rochester has held ten of the last twelve or so championships, and there's now zero local corps competing there, i thought attendance would be a lot lower than it was. People don't like Rochester. They don't like going there, and they certainly don't like going back.

Williamsport has an excellent chance of doing very, very well. Save this post and quote me one year from today.

I certainly hope you are right!

Williamsport currently has less available seating than Rochester, so purchase your tickets early!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Ok, give some specific examples from this year's shows of what you believe is "emulating what is seen in DCI" . And go beyond electronics and microphones...that stuff isn't emulation. Give some well-reasoned examples in terms of show design. We'll wait. (I'm not saying you are wrong here...I just want to see what you think the emulation points are).

Also, when you state "I don't see much crossover interest shown by DCI fans. Maybe, there's too much "been there, done that' in DCA for those folks", you're proceeding on the false assumption that DCA fans aren't also DCI fans. DCI is getting more exposure to DCA thought the massive number of DCA veterans moving to DCI corps (and also the reverse), and this year from FLO's excellent coverage.

The number of Blue Devils alumni who were turned on to DCA this past weekend via the FLO coverage was impressive, based on their postings in our alumni groups. I highly suspect it was similar elsewhere. Hopefully FLO will release some viewer numbers at some point.

I had to laugh.  "Give examples of DCA emulating DCI, but not amplification, electronics, trombones, or any other recent rule changes."  That, along with the unifying theme as required element, is precisely how DCA has been emulating DCI.  They are a bit behind with the body vocabulary, props and tarps, but those are coming too.

From this, it sounds like you find it advantageous for DCA to align with DCI.  How would you feel about adopting DCI rules and sheets?