Missing!

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

I was never a member of the Empire Statesmen! I almost was in 1990 but chose Crusaders instead. That being said, Vince Bruni's idea of being entertaining to the audience is sorely missed IMO. The fact that they (ES) are gone today saddens me every year! Would love to see all the DCA corps say "Screw it!" and play a show that drum corps fans of all ages can just say they LOVE! I am NOT against what the corps do today but feel that DCA could be more entertaining than their counterpart DCI. EVERYTHING that DCI does eventually gets to DCA and makes the shows less entertaining. 

I LOVE the shows today and the playing is better than ever (the marching? eh) but lets hear something that gets me humming the songs or tapping my foot.

Hey!

I just now e-mailed a similar sentiment to a friendly DCA operative.  Even mentioned Empire Statesmen specifically.  Earlier DCA did have a more unique flavor.

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I share your sentiments, but as long as this remains a Competition this is what you get.  BTW, entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I am more entertained by "non-toe tapping" Bartok than even a well done rendition of Malaguena.  

Salut, Bob P.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Before this devolves into a pointless debate over how to define what is entertaining... I do share your disappointment over how DCA seems to have abandoned any sense of unique identity in favor of mimicking DCI.

At this point, DCA would do themselves a huge favor by simply adopting DCI rules/sheets/judges.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Before this devolves into a pointless debate over how to define what is entertaining... I do share your disappointment over how DCA seems to have abandoned any sense of unique identity in favor of mimicking DCI.

Did you even watch DCA this year? Every finalist was incredibly entertaining, in their own unique way. While it may be true that no current corps favors schmaltz, cheese, and the overuse of fire extinguishers, the very idea that that's the only thing that's 'entertaining' is patently absurd. 

I always roll my eyes when someone comes online and tells us "what Vince's idea was" or "What Cos would think of all this". You know what? They'd probably love it and tell the corps to keep on striving for uniqueness in their entertainment.

If you (royal "you") did watch DCA this year and didn't find the corps wildly entertaining, you have a cold, dead heart.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Bob P. said:

I share your sentiments, but as long as this remains a Competition this is what you get.  BTW, entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.  I am more entertained by "non-toe tapping" Bartok than even a well done rendition of Malaguena.  

Salut, Bob P.

oh God please no more malaguena ever. malaga too. 

and from each corps i saw a lot of uniqueness....nice little nods to corps history etc, especially from those with extended histories. 

4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Did you even watch DCA this year? Every finalist was incredibly entertaining, in their own unique way. While it may be true that no current corps favors schmaltz, cheese, and the overuse of fire extinguishers, the very idea that that's the only thing that's 'entertaining' is patently absurd. 

I always roll my eyes when someone comes online and tells us "what Vince's idea was" or "What Cos would think of all this". You know what? They'd probably love it and tell the corps to keep on striving for uniqueness in their entertainment.

If you (royal "you") did watch DCA this year and didn't find the corps wildly entertaining, you have a cold, dead heart.

Right on!

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh God please no more malaguena ever. malaga too. 

and from each corps i saw a lot of uniqueness....nice little nods to corps history etc, especially from those with extended histories. 

Hope you didn't go to see the Mini's  @ WCs - TWO Malagas in 5 groups!

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

Hope you didn't go to see the Mini's  @ WCs - TWO Malagas in 5 groups!

no, Flobuffering.com didnt offer coverage to my living room