Grading the Bugle Boys (and girls)

Just now, Stu said:

We are agreeing on something; oh my! :tounge2:

That's another point for my side of the argument, perhaps.

"And you’ll feel something akin to the electric thrill I once enjoyed when Gilmore, Liberati, Pat Conway, The Great Creatore, W.C. Handy — and John Philip Sousa! — all came to town on the very same historic day!"

6 hours ago, garfield said:

I knew this would ##### your bubble.  LOL, it's getting too easy, Stu. (EDIT: What, can't say #####?  OK, how about "pop your bubble" then?)

"I want to bust all your balloons; I want to burn all of your cities to the ground."

What an amazingly intelligent discussion to hold on these modest pages!

The economists are dueling. Soon the music educators and performers will have their say. Me, I was a History/Poli-Sci major, but only a lowly Sgt. E-5 in the Army, and not even in the band. When I asked for an "indoor" job, they made me a tank driver.

Still, I know Jefferson's words about government being instituted to secure the "unalienable rights" of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", and it's simply not possible to quantify something like happiness, which is essentially qualitative.

A nation without national music is soulless, and recordings (on which I depend for my livelihood) simply do not cut it in this instance. It's really not about the economics of the issue, it's about the philosophy.

31 minutes ago, ironlips said:

The economists are dueling. Soon the music educators and performers will have their say. Me, I was a History/Poli-Sci major, but only a lowly Sgt. E-5 in the Army, and not even in the band. When I asked for an "indoor" job, they made me a tank driver.

Still, I know Jefferson's words about government being instituted to secure the "unalienable rights" of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", and it's simply not possible to quantify something like happiness, which is essentially qualitative.

A nation without national music is soulless, and recordings (on which I depend for my livelihood) simply do not cut it in this instance. It's really not about the economics of the issue, it's about the philosophy.

a)  We fake intelligence well! b) Jefferson, the author of the Declaration, desired the government to stay out of the way of the individual's unaliable rights while at the same time securing them. c) Article 1 section 8 of the Constitution, written by the Founding Fathers, states Federal support is for military defense not bands (by the way, thank you for your service). and d) While military bands are wonderful, financially supporting them actually is an economics issue not a philosophical issue.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

" Federal support is for military defense not bands "

I think I was absent the day this was discussed in my American Constitutional History Class. There is little doubt in my mind that we spend too much on the military, in general. In fact, we could probably do without half of the generals, and nobody would notice.

Those salaries and perks could cover a lot of appearances by The Commandant's Own and the West Point Hellcats. I'm afraid I'll have to retain the "philosophy" position, on the grounds that it's really a question of prioritizing the expenditure, not the amount thereof.

But let's keep the discussion going. I'm not so doctrinaire that I can't be convinced by a cogent argument espousing another viewpoint. Besides, it's now officially the off-season and we need some stimulation.

4 hours ago, ironlips said:

The will of philosophy is frequently squelched by the reality of the economics.

One of the unalienable rights is the pursuit of happiness, but there is no right for the government to take OPM to pay for it.

I was a Navy E-4 before I blew a disc in my back.  I laughed at the "band" at San Diego but I wore my dress uniform with pride anyway.