Recommendation - Film Documentary "Score"

SImilar to the "Drill/VIsual <<>> Music" relationship in drum corps design/arrangement/composition - film music is developed alongside the visual element and hopefully together "the sum is greater than the parts"

This documentary discusses the evolution of "scoring" modern movies & includes many prominent film composers...

It currently is available PPV and has a terrific 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/score_a_film_music_documentary/

Official site:

https://www.score-movie.com/

I recommend it - but mostly I'm interested in how you feel this relates to the visual/music design of modern drum corps

Edited by George Dixon

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

SImilar to the "Drill/VIsual <<>> Music" relationship in drum corps design/arrangement/composition - film music is developed alongside the visual element and hopefully together "the sum is greater than the parts"

This documentary discusses the evolution of "scoring" modern movies & includes many prominent film composers...

It currently is available PPV and has a terrific 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/score_a_film_music_documentary/

Official site:

https://www.score-movie.com/

I recommend it - but mostly I'm interested in how you feel this relates to the visual/music design of modern drum corps

Drum corps is not, and should not be considered as, film. That is the error which gives us the visually driven sound of chord, run, impact, decrescendo, battery, chord, battery, pit sound, chord, crescendo, impact, next chart type arranging.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Drum corps is not, and should not be considered as, film. That is the error which gives us the visually driven sound of chord, run, impact, decrescendo, battery, chord, battery, pit sound, chord, crescendo, impact, next chart type arranging.

It's the compromise between the two that becomes problematic. I agree 

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Oh brother...... hahahahaha  why would any try to coordinate what they see with what they hear?....... if only there weren't those pesky judge's sheet that determine integration of effects and ideas. We wouldn't have themes, or uniforms, or color guards, or staging, or music that compliments each other. 100% of the time in the last 20 years of drum corps groups have had to worry about how their musical ideas and concepts fit their visual concepts and vice versa. It's part of the symbiotic relationship that is now drum corps. It's not just checking off all the boxes, it's making sure the pacing is on point and impacts are on point. It's very evident to people when a visual concept or guard work or props or anything having to do with visual are an afterthought and not part of the original thought process.

None the less thanks for to the OP for posting this. Can't wait watch it. I thought seeing other people's creative process in action. I'm the guy that watches the DVD extras. haha

Edited by Big Adam
  • Like 1

Also I want to say I'm not trying to be combative, I like the debate and I agree that marching groups that feel like they should be checking off the boxes on a design sheet rather than working towards making a cohesive design do create those poor design decisions then. 100%...... but I don't think that's determined by the need to marry visual and musical concepts. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It's the compromise between the two that becomes problematic. I agree

3 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

Oh brother...... hahahahaha  why would any try to coordinate what they see with what they hear?....... if only there weren't those pesky judge's sheet that determine integration of effects and ideas. We wouldn't have themes, or uniforms, or color guards, or staging, or music that compliments each other. 100% of the time in the last 20 years of drum corps groups have had to worry about how their musical ideas and concepts fit their visual concepts and vice versa. It's part of the symbiotic relationship that is now drum corps. It's not just checking off all the boxes, it's making sure the pacing is on point and impacts are on point. It's very evident to people when a visual concept or guard work or props or anything having to do with visual are an afterthought and not part of the original thought process.

Stage production's, for the most part, have a symbiotic relationship between music and visual that compliment each other 'equally'. DCI show design used to hold to that equal respect treatment.

Movies, on the other hand, mainly treat music as a sublime role of underlying support for everything else iprojected from the screen in visual, sound effects, and dialogue. That religated role for music has been the show design direction DCI has mainly gone post Y2K. Visually I am not saying to harken back to the eighties and nineties; nor am I against modern technology advances of sound production. But the musical arranging in many DCI shows post Y2K has taken on such a background film-score visual driven role it makes no musical sense whatsoever, but merely supports the visual thematic motion. That is where the problem lies in the musical arranging; religation to the vusual not equal respect with the visual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

Also I want to say I'm not trying to be combative, I like the debate and I agree that marching groups that feel like they should be checking off the boxes on a design sheet rather than working towards making a cohesive design do create those poor design decisions then. 100%...... but I don't think that's determined by the need to marry visual and musical concepts. 

Marriage implies equal respect for the artistic aspects of visual and music. What has happened in most DCI show design post Y2K is not an equal marriage, but more so of a master (visual) slave ( music).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

This is a personal opinion obviously; overall I disagree. But I will say, your approach to visual-first music-second =  chord, run, impact, etc. is spot on, and it's just lazy design. There is a middle ground that can be accomplished that still emphasizes visual as the starting point.