G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

The TOC series is a farce that takes money out of the DCI coffers and concentrates it in the 7, and should be abandoned immediately to reinstitute the collegial fraternity that was once the hallmark of Marching Music's Major League.

IMO

Except the TOC shows were the compromise.  Take them away and we're right back where we started, and likely looking at MiM vs. DCI.

Mike

38 minutes ago, garfield said:

Besides, I know you would like a place to argue G7 issues (I, too!) so don't ask them to shut it down!

Yes the issue still needs to be discussed for many reasons including the leadership of those corps still holding true to their underlying belefs which caused the uproar to begin with. But creating a new thread with a weird split point in another thread and giving it a weird title using my account without my knowledge still miffs me.

This won't be relevant to most of you here already. Rather for those who might pop in to this Stu-not Stu thread and want more formal background, the following was helpful to me. (In addition to some browsing of the way older thread linked above).

Drum Corps World, May 19, 2010 – http://drumcorpsworld.com/?p=1098

CNN, Aug 12, 2010 – http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/08/12/drum.corps.trouble/index.html

Halftime Magazine, Jul 29, 2011 – http://www.halftimemag.com/features/dci-tour-of-changes.html

DCP, Jan 9, 2013 (and note from G7/GH) – 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

If they truly wanted to help the non-7 corps, they'd open up the TOC shows to Genesis, Pio, PC, Surf, Colts, Spirit...

They shouldn't suggest that more corps doing better and challenging the perennial leaders is good and then charge them (or keep the nickels from them) at the same time.

Kind of like the team who always played against the Harlem Globetrotters - they got beaten every game but they ate well.  And the difference between the Globetrotters and drum corps is that, in drum corps, the unknown competitor can grow up and eat your lunch.

oh don't get me wrong...i'm not giving them a free pass....but it has gotten better. At least now some of the non 7 get in. But, remember, even our own government tries to take funding away from the needy. it's capitalism my friend

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Except the TOC shows were the compromise.  Take them away and we're right back where we started, and likely looking at MiM vs. DCI.

Mike

doubtful. Because the 7 realize they go, they lose all of the archives they so love to crow about in making them the 7.

But really...the issue? Even then, power and control. Just among themselves.

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

But, remember, even our own government tries to take funding away from the needy. it's capitalism my friend

A) That is not Capitalism; and B) The only way government takes money away from anyone is via compulsory confiscation of personal wealth called taxation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh don't get me wrong...i'm not giving them a free pass....but it has gotten better. At least now some of the non 7 get in. But, remember, even our own government tries to take funding away from the needy. it's capitalism my friend

I don't think that represents capitalism at all, but I won't derail the thread.  Let's just say they were concentrating power and funding among themselves and leave it at that.

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

A) That is not Capitalism; and B) The only way government takes money away from anyone is via compulsory confiscation of personal wealth called taxation.

Again, let's not derail the thread with a political definition discussion.  And your "B" doesn't apply because the Seven didn't intend to take money away from Open Class, they were intent on not sharing any of it with those who, in their minds, didn't earn it to begin with.

A subtle but important distinction from the taxation you reference in your very accurate statement.