G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Except the TOC shows were the compromise.  Take them away and we're right back where we started, and likely looking at MiM vs. DCI.

Mike

Yes, no doubt it was a good compromise. It's held for, what, 6 years? And greatly reduced tensions from where things stood in winter 2011. TOC has mellowed out, too - there's no longer any talk of them crowning a TOC champion, for example, and they've included many more non-G7 corps in the shows. Nobody needs to be in any hurry to mess with it IMO.

I think the "silent partner" in the deal has been the relatively good economics of DCI in recent years. Lots of attendance records means that many insiders are more focused on growing the pie rather than taking a bigger slice. But good times never last forever ... some of the same concerns from the top groups are bound to resurface the next time there is a downturn.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not giving them a free pass---but it has gotten better. At least now some of the non-7 get in. But remember, even our own government tries to take funding away from the needy. It's capitalism, my friend.

Look out for the sea lions---oh, too late.

(Capitalism is to economic systems what democracy, in Churchill's famous quote, is to forms of government: the worst kind, except for all the rest. Which is why no sensible person takes either of them in unadulterated form.)

To stay on topic: the TOC started letting more than the G7+1 appear quite some time ago now. We've had at least four, maybe more, years in which multiple non-G7, non-previous year's top eight corps have appeared in one or more TOC shows. Just off the top of my head, I know that Crossmen, who finished out of Finals in 2013, appeared at TOC Masillon in 2014.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

So, things got better when the G7 directors got the boot from the DCI BOD?   

Imho, the animosity rises when there are "too many" DCI corps that clearly have no intention to grow the strength of their product, let alone the DCI product as a whole. DCI seems to have largely, though not entirely, solved this by slowing down the rush to be a world class corps.

Still, there are a few corps out there that one might argue are and will always be world class entities in name only.

One might be able to argue that the activity needs no more than a dozen world class corps to fill a nationwide summer tour, and make enough money to support those corps. Still, for an activity that bills itself as a not for profit educational activity, drawing hard lines in the sand makes it feel a lot more like a business.

Edited by MikeRapp

I have a somewhat related question.

How is it determined which dates, and how many dates, world class corps will play? Obviously some corps can't afford to tour the whole country, but others may want to but not be able to because of slots on shows. Just curious. As we add more legit world class corps, it seems this is going to become a challenge, because you can't have shows that last beyond a certain time frame. And, the more corps you have, the more the money has to be split both in honorariums, gate and merchandise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I have a somewhat related question.

How is it determined which dates, and how many dates, world class corps will play? Obviously some corps can't afford to tour the whole country, but others may want to but not be able to because of slots on shows. Just curious. As we add more legit world class corps, it seems this is going to become a challenge, because you can't have shows that last beyond a certain time frame. And, the more corps you have, the more the money has to be split both in honorariums, gate and merchandise.

And don't think that this doesn't have some WC corps director's undies in a bunch.

1 hour ago, c mor said:

What is a boogaloo?  How does an electronics style boogaloo relate to G7?

It's a reference to a movie sequel called Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo. It's a pop culture thing to add "electric boogaloo" to sequels of things, in this case the recurring topic of G7. And electronics is a pun based off the common use and complaints of electronics used in DCI these days. Isn't the joke that much funnier now that I've explained it :lle:

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

It's a reference to a movie sequel called Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo. It's a pop culture thing to add "electric boogaloo" to sequels of things, in this case the recurring topic of G7. And electronics is a pun based off the common use and complaints of electronics used in DCI these days. Isn't the joke that much funnier now that I've explained it :lle:

Thanks for the explanation.  Since  this is a Stu-not-Stu thread, where I did not even create the title, even I was at a loss on what it meant.  Anywhoot, as to the joke: when you have to explain a joke, no matter what, it is no longer funny.

• Like 1