G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

11 hours ago, craiga said:

Jeff, I have made this assertion before on another thread.  Knowing many of the movers and shakers on the BAC board personally (I marched with some and taught with others) I can tell you that a turning point in Boston's trajectory came in the year when BAC DID, in fact, qualify to be in the TOC shows but was not let in.  There were some people in Boston who were so angry, so furious at this obvious block that they literally committed to do WHATEVER it would take financially to thrust the organization into the upper tier. 

That anger was harnessed and became known as "Building A Champion".  While some outsiders scoffed,  the BOD was doubled in size, community based educational programs were acquired and grown, the formidable resources of the corporate/financial sector within the City of Boston as well as the city itself were brought into play, and the BAC/Inspire Arts budget was quintupled in 3 years. 

As I have said before, the G7 proposal ignited the fire.  And, here's what is NOT common knowledge....more than a few of BAC's current board members who are now extremely successful in their 50's and 60's remember a time many years ago when there were some forces in the activity trying to keep Boston out (then it was the top 12).  In those days, these people were just struggling teenagers off the streets of various eastern Mass cities and towns....what could they do?

I guess now they feel like they are empowered to do something about it.  The summer of 2017 was just the opening salvo.

I know. I talked to people

11 hours ago, MikeN said:

They did? Who said that?

Mike

when DCi told them they owned the video and audio library

8 hours ago, garfield said:

No, you're definitely correct about their intent to wrest control, but the impetus that got them to that point is the seeming perennial placements and very little movement of most corps.

Again, I don't agree with their method, but the message to "GET BETTER AND CHALLENGE!!" is one we should all support, IMO.

Many of us scream and moan in these parts about the seeming glacial movements in placements and the lack of competition in the ranks but, to solve that, I really can't justify asking the "Top Corps" to dumb down their productions to create the competition.

the message wasnt get better and challenge us. the message was " we want the power and the money"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stu said:

From what I have heard, not saying it is true, but what I heard was that Madison was originally offered to be in the G(8) club but they turned it down.  And that is what shifted the plan into having a sentence about the 'top eight for three years in a row'  will get ya into the club.  Again, that is just what I have heard.

So, possibly, some folks running Madison had integrity? Or anyway didn't want to get in bed with GH?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

except a lot of the rules concerning OC and fees were created by the OC corps themselves

... after they lost all the regional circuits, lost access to the DCI championship venue, and lost access to DCI tour shows in favor of separate WC and OC tours... all circumstances created by the decisions of WC corps.  Context matters.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

... after they lost all the regional circuits, lost access to the DCI championship venue, and lost access to DCI tour shows in favor of separate WC and OC tours... all circumstances created by the decisions of WC corps.  Context matters.

Darn good post.  Context matters.

• Like 2

I don't think the wrath of the G7 was directed at the OC as they are/were getting very little (aka: zero) financial support from WC.  The argument can be made that DCI supports the OC tour by providing the gravitas necessary to hold events that barely pay for themselves.  

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I don't think the wrath of the G7 was directed at the OC as they are/were getting very little (aka: zero) financial support from WC.  The argument can be made that DCI supports the OC tour by providing the gravitas necessary to hold events that barely pay for themselves.  

I think I know what you mean.

The events I alluded to earlier occurred in the late 1990s and early 00s.  By 2010, open class had been balancing their own separate budget for over five years, taking away the kind of budgetary line items the G7 might have complained about.  They were far more interested in the $$$ implications of the other WC corps outside of their club.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

except a lot of the rules concerning OC and fees were created by the OC corps themselves

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

OC was/is a place of nurturing. A way for DCI to support 'minor league' units. A place to allow for learning and growth; both in the competitive and business sense. And in that light I am even ok with SCVC and BDB; if an OC corps can financially and competitively hang in there with these two then that corps is likely ready to make the jump to WC. But the WC has the real voting power; they can snuff out the OC with one vote. So as it applies to the OC taking on things that tend to be counterproductive for themselves, it comes on the heals of the WC voting body telling the OC to do this or that or you are out of DCI. Thus what real choice do they have other than to take on what is actually dictated to them by the WC?.

Edited by Stu