G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

1 hour ago, PeterGibbons said:

I just caught up on thread and all I can say is that I can't believe Stu thought it was a good idea to start it.

What?   This is a BRILLIANT thread!  Stu was BRILLIANT to start it!

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

ah - because you don't agree with it it's labeled "#fakenews" - yet another thing the left is now borrowing from the right

What's going on in higher education these days??? Used to be people could logically debate and support their point of view

Now the "retort" for a serious topic is a "hashtag" like solving violence in Africa with "#bringbackourgirls" - people sit around congratulating themselves for how clever they are the parallels on the left to what happened in the lead up to WW2 scare the heck out of me - history is reframed or rewritten, dissenting voices are silenced and labeled as "hate speech" and the use of gang tactics and violence are justified (see antifa)

Fascism is repackaged and repurposed. And no I'm not talking about drum corps. This is an aside. The answer is: the girls never came back.

Thanks. I agree the "gang" up is quite interesting. I've always come at things from a different direction - probably why I was sped through public education so quickly. They wanted to be rid of me... lol 

As far as G7 - I agree with the proposal - but not the sales job. 

Evolution has fits and starts... G7 is much like "punctuated equilibrium" - the best ideas have been selected/incorporated and drum corps is far healthier and better for it

there's much more to be done

"World Class" should be broken into "World Class" and "National Class"

"Open Class" should become "Regional Class"

3 championships awarded

We'll get there. 

#babysteps 

As far as the proposal...  what?  You agreed with throwing 8 - 22 under the bus and to their own league to make it as good as they can?  Even as they acknowledged that they were "the draw" and suggesting that they O-13 wasn't able to carry it's own weight?

"punctuated equilibrium"?  Really?  How about Creative Destruction?  Better?

Always lots to do.  In the mind of the "creative" class, always much to do.

"National Class"?  Uh, no.

Regional Class?  Uh, no.

No, one championship.  KIds just want to know where they stack up.  If they win OC, they'll want to know where they stack up against WC.  It's human nature.  "Stripes on a zebra" stuff.

Where will we get?  

"#babysteps" is the same as "nudge".   But now that people know, it's not effective.  They won't willingly be manipulated.

#TryAgain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

As far as the proposal...  what?  You agreed with throwing 8 - 22 under the bus and to their own league to make it as good as they can?  Even as they acknowledged that they were "the draw" and suggesting that they O-13 wasn't able to carry it's own weight?

Regional Class?  Uh, no.

No, one championship.  KIds just want to know where they stack up.  If they win OC, they'll want to know where they stack up against WC.  It's human nature.  "Stripes on a zebra" stuff.

Where will we get?  

"#babysteps" is the same as "nudge".   But now that people know, it's not effective.  They won't willingly be manipulated.

#TryAgain

Well said.

I wonder if you'll be joining us on the "ignore" list. We'll save you a seat at the table. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

On 9/15/2017 at 5:04 PM, Stu said:

That is not what you claimed earlier!!!  You claimed that six did not even know what was in the presentation it until a document, that they were unaware of, was leaked; that they were blindsided by the document itself not just the leak!!!  What you just posted was that the rough draft was actually agreed upon, and that the notes from the rough draft were complied into a PowerPoint presentation, that they actually did read through that presentation in a meeting, a PowerPoint document ready for formal presentation, which was then leaked before it got to the DCI voting table.  Again that scenario is far from what you claimed earlier!!!

they had an idea, but didnt know specifically what was going to be there. there were talking points agreed to...how it was laid out in the presentation was a surprise to all when it was unveiled.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:11 AM, Cappybara said:

I guess your amazing education didn't teach you the difference between copying and mocking :unsure:

oh no he knows. Not that he cares, but he knows

On 9/16/2017 at 6:33 PM, garfield said:

Regional Class?  Uh, no.

Where will we get?  

#TryAgain

of he course he thought it was great. Anything a certain director does is great. He'll even block you over it

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 4:23 PM, Jeff Ream said:

except then cavies released contradictory statements, because The Old Man was fit to be tied when he heard about it. So they were for it...kindaish.

and who knows how much of the details the boards actually knew vs. what was presented.

From the Cavaliers statement:

"The Cavaliers Board of Directors has discussed the proposal in detail and backs the concept of finding new ways to bring more fans and supporters to the drum corps activity."

The only contradictory aspect of their statement was when they said there would be no change in their status as a DCI member.  And that depends on how you read it.  No change yet?  Or did they disagree with the G7 threat to leave DCI if their proposal was not accepted with open arms?  I can accept the theory that Don Warren vetoed that aspect of the proposal.  However, words and actions suggest that the rest of the Cavaliers organization supported the G7 ideas (and that Warren supported them all except for the "leave DCI" part).

How much did the boards know?  Based on this, maybe the "leave DCI" ultimatum was slipped in last minute without the boards knowing until after the fact.  But we have no evidence of anything else being withheld from the corps boards.  Since I oppose the G7 principles, I hope you are right, that GH slipped every page of power grabbing schemes in there behind the backs of the boards and his corps director peers, forever destroying his credibility and preventing this from ever happening again in such iconic fashion that there will be a Mother Goose fable written about it someday.