G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

24 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

As confusing as everyone's take is on what happened,  I don't see that anything about what Jeff said,  was drastically different from his initial explanation to his attempted re-explanation of it, albeit in a different way to you.  Your challenge of his precise vernacular or chronology or whatever you had issue with, comes across more as creating an argument for the sake of arguing about perceived lack of a precise explanation of what the 6 either knew, appeared to know or should have known for certain.  But no matter what,  the explanation I think Jeff was shooting for, in part or in total, is,  the 6 were aware of a proposal or a concept brought forth and they believed to be acceptable but at some point along the way to accepting it fully, it was quietly and unbeknownst to them, altered.  Once their was a full realization of what was altered, the consensus changed.  At least that's what I got from what Jeff was saying.  Overall there seems to be so many parts to this that have not all been totally connected.  It still is intriguing to read through all the explanations and perceptions, hearsay, supposition, assumption and the occasional fact.  It takes a while to dig through it all.  I'm still reading.  It is still better than most of the crap that was on here a year ago.

thank you very kind sir.

yes things may have been said differently the second time around. because if the intended audience doesnt get it, saying the same exact words won't help them get it. and apparently using different words to help elaborate won't help. shot of typing like this

D

E

A

R

S

T

U

I'm not sure what else would at this point

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jeff's original claim, that six of the seven (did not know what was in the proposal) and were actually blindsided by that unknown information when it was leaked by him,  was over in the other thread.  While I am not  a conspiracy theorist, when this thread was split off from the other, not by me mind you, the posts where Jeff and I engaged in that particular debate on Sept 10 from around 3:00 to 6:00 were mysteriously deleted.  There is only one reference left in there which was at the end of that debate.  The one that is left is in reference to a statement from Jeff where he stated emphatically that the six had not seen the PowerPoint presentation prior to the leak, and that they were just as surprised at what was in the presentation at the same time as we were.  That is the story conflict in which he has presented here in this thread; and it is that conflict in which I am seeking him to resolve.

they did not know all of it. things were added. I've been clear on that. you however love to insert things into what people say that arent there and arent true. it's your worst trait....trying to make Mountains out of molehills by injecting your thoughts and feelings into others words.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

DCI, for all intents and purposes, really has four classes, imo... 1) The Blue Devils Class,  2) the rest of the World Class Corps, 3) the Open Class Corps, then 4) Soundsport Class.

People (with class) still see the MLB Mariners and Nationals/Expos as World Class Major League Teams along with the Cardinals. People (with class) still see the NFL Lions, Jaguars, Texans, and current incarnation of the Browns as World Class Major League Teams along with the Patriots. People (with class) still see Academy, Scouts, Mandarins, etc…  as World Class Teams along with the Blue Devils. Just sayin’.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no i didnt change my story. not once. my message has been consistent since 2010. In fact trying to get that thru your head in 2010 got me suspended while I was at DCI Finals.

But you believe what you want to believe, nothing anyone has ever posted here has gotten you to change your mind, even when flat out called out for being wrong.

You posted in the other thread that the six knew nothing about what one person placed in the presentation, and that they did not see that presentation until after it was leaked (that surprise was not just the leak but of what was in the proposal).  You posted in this thread that they did indeed know about the drafted notes, that they did indeed see the final presentation put together by one person at a meeting 'prior' to the leak (that surprise was the leak not what was in the proposal).  The first sort of exonerates them for not knowing about the content prior to the leak; the second lays full knowledge and accountability on them before the leak.  And THAT, is an important difference!!!

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I have read this thread pretty thoroughly and found it enlightening, even if overstated in many cases.  But there is something that I don’t think I’ve seen addressed in the whole G7 issue.

I, and others I know who are drum corps fans, aren’t that hung up on the top 12 corps, much less the top 8.  We just like drum corps, and the more corps with that many more shows to take in, the merrier. 

I recently reconnected with a former student from my music teaching days and found out she’s a big drum corps fan.  Immediately we became animated as we talked about our favorite shows from this season and our personal favorite corps through the ages – Phantom Regiment, Scouts, etc.  I taught school in Delaware and Arizona and my student was born and raised in Delaware.  She went on and on about some local Delaware corps that aren’t around anymore.  What got her excited about a show – was getting her hair blown back with the great, big sound.

Over in Open Class, quite a few of us who were watching the 2017 prelims and finals on Flo got very excited about Southwind – and their scores weren’t that impressive.  But their sound was.  It was awesome and they had some great solos and ensembles that rivaled the top 12 corps.  But there they were, in Open Class, not even in the top 6 of OC, and yet they won our hearts and interest and future support with their music.

So I have to say that the arrogance of a group of people in positions of power to pretty much disregard, spurn, stamp as of no value or little value – Southwind, Academy, Troopers, Vanguard Cadets, Music City – MERELY because they are not in the top 8 placing corps – is puzzling to me.  I think they must hang out with people who have lost their pure love of music to think like that.  I just don’t get it.

The good news is, your assessment I believe is the majority viewpoint in Drum Corps on the assessment of the G7. Once we get beyond the fans/ alums of the self absorbed few that DID support the actions, sentiments, plans of the orginal G7 Corps, there is virtually no support for their plan, nor for the clandestine manner in which they set out to essentially take over DCI for themselves.  Ironically, one of the orIginal G7 Corps signators, if the original plan was followed, would have been booted out of the  G7 last month for failure to place in the Top 7 in DCI for 2  consecutive years. Thankfully, such a plan was scuttled... but by the vote of DCI Member Corps themselves.  Ironically then, such an orginal G7 Corps has been spared that plight status, saved by the other Corps from this, by the member Corps it once spurned.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI, for all intents and purposes, really has four classes, imo... 1) The Blue Devils Class,  2) the rest of the World Class Corps, 3) the Open Class Corps, then 4) Soundsport Class.

I've seen several references to the "Soundsport Class".

Not sure what class is being referenced, but SoundSport was never meant to be, and is not now designed as, a pre-cursor to OC.

The gulf between SS and OC is just too wide now.  Minimum 75  EDIT: sorry: fat fingers.  55 members in OC to even be approved, and a touring model in OC that SS was never meant to support.

IMO, DCI is recognizing that most SS teams don't have the mass to make the jump from SS to OC.  They want SS to be pure entertainment - not mini-corps.

Edited by garfield

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

I've seen several references to the "Soundsport Class".

Not sure what class is being referenced, but SoundSport was never meant to be, and is not now designed as, a pre-cursor to OC.

Semantics mostly I believe. OC was never designed to be a " pre-cursor" to World Class Division status either. For start ups that have grand designs, its where you start before requesting an evaluation for World Class Division status. But the overwhelming majority of the Open Class Corps are not utilizing their Open Class Division for anything else but Open Class Division status... and by their own freely chosen choice. Most Corps on Open Class are perfectly happy to be competing at a level that is in harmony with their financial resources, their aims, their mission, their competitive leanings, etc. Heck, some of the Open Class Corps are in far better financial shape at the moment than some of the World Class Division Corps are at the moment. Soundsport is not a separate " Class " per se in DCI... true. I only utilized the term" Class " above in a more generic fashion, that distinquishes them from WC and OC DCI Divisions. I also utilized" The Blue Devils Class" above as another distinquisher,... one that I likewise realize that  DCI does not officially designate as a separate " Class " either.

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Semantics mostly I believe. OC was never designed to be a " pre-cursor to World Class Division either. For start ups that have grand designs, its where you start before requesting an evaluation for World Class Division status. But the overwhelming majority of the Open Class Corps are not utilizing their Open Class Division for anything else but Open Class Division status... and by their own choice.

...and, as a result, IMO, are cementing their reputations as training grounds for kids who want to move up in competitive stature. 

Semantics, repeated frequently enough, become an accepted definition, and those "semantics" re: SS would be an inaccurate depiction of it.

24 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically, one of the original G7 Corps signators, if the original plan was followed, would have been booted out of the  G7 last month for failure to place in the Top 7 in DCI for 2  consecutive years.

Please cite the G7 PowerPoint Proposal page number and sentence which states this.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please cite the G7 PowerPoint Proposal page number and sentence which states this.

Nah, I 'm too unmotivated to do it for you. Accept what I said, or don't accept what I said..... or look it up yourself to be SELF educated on it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2