G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

15 hours ago, garfield said:

I've seen several references to the "Soundsport Class".

Not sure what class is being referenced, but SoundSport was never meant to be, and is not now designed as, a pre-cursor to OC.

The gulf between SS and OC is just too wide now.  Minimum 75 members in OC to even be approved, and a touring model in OC that SS was never meant to support.

IMO, DCI is recognizing that most SS teams don't have the mass to make the jump from SS to OC.  They want SS to be pure entertainment - not mini-corps.

As far as I know, the minimum for OC is 30 members.  Several of the recent new/prospective corps such as Eruption, River City Rhythm, Incognito and Heat Wave entered OC competition with corps of less than 75 members.

Edit... oh, and as I understand it, one of the many purposes of SoundSport is to provide a venue for startup corps who intend to grow in size, ability and infrastructure to become open class units.

Edited by cixelsyd

23 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Stu is technically correct about there being no automatic loss of AAA status for missing top 7 any number of times.  However...

And the proposal provided the mechanism for the G7 to control who stays in, or who gets thrown out.  

"The board of DCI can by 2/3 vote relocate a corps to a different class for performance or other reasons. Participation within the organization can be granted or withdrawn by the board by a vote of 2/3."

Bear in mind that "the board", as defined on the preceding slide, was the G7 corps directors and three "outside" directors, no one else.

So if Stu became the director of a G7 corps, the board could vote to move his fiscally responsible corps out of AAA status simply out of annoyance.

This made me laugh out loud.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LabMaster said:

There would be many violaters LOL.  Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

:whistle::peek::ninja::innocent:

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

As far as I know, the minimum for OC is 30 members.  Several of the recent new/prospective corps such as Eruption, River City Rhythm, Incognito and Heat Wave entered OC competition with corps of less than 75 members.

Edit... oh, and as I understand it, one of the many purposes of SoundSport is to provide a venue for startup corps who intend to grow in size, ability and infrastructure to become open class units.

I was responding and I couldn't figure out where you got 75.  Then I looked at my quote and see I typed 75.  Sorry, fat fingers.  55 members, a "full bus", plus an org that has been performing in some way for three years minimum.  Orgs must be "seasoned", with a mature board and a proven model.  Very rigorous and correct IMO.  OC corps are bigger, better, more professional and less "mom & pop", because of the G7 experience, IMO, and because of their experience with failed corps.

It was reaffirmed to me as recently as in the last 30 days, as it has been since it's genesis four years ago, that SoundSport was never intended to be a platform for budding corps.  It's a platform to perform WITHOUT the boundaries or budget of an actual corps.  It's lived up to that by producing the SoundSport and Drumline battle shows in Indy and other venues.  It's a different type of performance, and don't forget it's all-age.  SS teams with 40 members, 10 of whom are over DCI-age, and another 5 or so of them don't have the chops to be OC (or can make the commitment), and a SS team that looks like a success may have a hard time making the jump to moving a bus and all of the equipment down the road for 5, 8, or 10 shows.  As the OC improves itself, and restrictions and qualifications are placed on those with "dreams", it's reasonable to expect "the bar" of minimum requirements to reach OC to be moved up with time.

The issue is, and the reason the point is made, is because the gulf between a SoundSport team and qualifying for DCI Open Class is very wide, and it has gotten significantly wider since the SS program was developed those years ago.  The jump to OC just gets one a license to spend money proving a concept and ability.  That takes depth that many SS teams don't have, and don't need to be a SS team.

Stepping into my little world, I suspect, without any accreditation at all, that one motivating factor for DCI keeping control of what SS actually IS in the activity is because it doesn't see any benefit in have another "class" of corps.  Another might be to provide a platform for any international SS teams to perform if/when they come to the US for DCI finals week.

For clarity, and to be true to what was explained to me, it's not actually accurate to suggest that "...DCI has WC, OC, and SoundSport..." as if SS is a class, too.  They do have SS, thanksverymuch, but it shouldn't be lumped into the drum corps class structure...(EDIT: I don't think).

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Stu is technically correct about there being no automatic loss of AAA status for missing top 7 any number of times.  However...

And the proposal provided the mechanism for the G7 to control who stays in, or who gets thrown out.  

"The board of DCI can by 2/3 vote relocate a corps to a different class for performance or other reasons. Participation within the organization can be granted or withdrawn by the board by a vote of 2/3."

Bear in mind that "the board", as defined on the preceding slide, was the G7 corps directors and three "outside" directors, no one else.

So if Stu became the director of a G7 corps, the board could vote to move his fiscally responsible corps out of AAA status simply out of annoyance.

And see, there, it did it again.

I chuckled.

17 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Semantics mostly I believe. OC was never designed to be a " pre-cursor" to World Class Division status either. For start ups that have grand designs, its where you start before requesting an evaluation for World Class Division status. But the overwhelming majority of the Open Class Corps are not utilizing their Open Class Division for anything else but Open Class Division status... and by their own freely chosen choice. Most Corps on Open Class are perfectly happy to be competing at a level that is in harmony with their financial resources, their aims, their mission, their competitive leanings, etc. Heck, some of the Open Class Corps are in far better financial shape at the moment than some of the World Class Division Corps are at the moment. Soundsport is not a separate " Class " per se in DCI... true. I only utilized the term" Class " above in a more generic fashion, that distinquishes them from WC and OC DCI Divisions. I also utilized" The Blue Devils Class" above as another distinquisher,... one that I likewise realize that  DCI does not officially designate as a separate " Class " either.

You can call it what you want, for sure, but I guarantee that the semantics are important to DCI BoD.

OC was a place for existing orgs to perform without the financial obligation of keeping up with WC.  SS is creating new orgs out of whole cloth in a performance venue and under rules that simply don't exist in OC or WC.  The two are mostly oil and water.

There are exceptions, as in all things.  But that's not semantics.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

It was leaked to you and you leaked it for all to see; it was likely by far the most powerful topic 'ever' to appear on DCP; and you did not save it on multiple storage devices thus losing it!!!! :doh::w00t::worthy:

no because by 2014, the G7 issue was put to bed. It usually only comes up when you bring it up

8 hours ago, Stu said:

But your hero movie character that you quoted did!!

not my hero. i thought the quote was appropriate, albeit a slightly long winded way to tell you to shut the #### up that might make others laugh

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But that is not a contradiction.  Here, follow the sequence of events:

1.  They see the proposal.

2.  Then GH adds a bunch into it.

3.  GH presents the modified proposal at the DCI meeting, this being the first time anyone else sees the changes.

corrected

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I choose the official PowerPoint proposal.

I don't care. You are entitled to be as misinformed as you choose, Stu. You can believe that Hopkins/ Gibbs offered permanent status for life to the Corps that chose to join their cabal, and I wouldn't bat an eye.... lol. As a matter of fact, DCI offered better written protection for DCI World Class status maintenance, then the G7 cockamamie, ill conceived plan offered the prospective 5 Corps that were duped into signing on to the Hopkins/ Gibbs scheme.... lol. It was a couple of non invited Corps at the time that found out later about the plot that specifically asked what guarantees did Hopkins ( especially ) tell them that Hopkins was giving them in writing for G7 status permanency for signing on with his ill conceived scheme. They sheepishly were forced to reply to that inquiry..... "none "...... lol!... haha!!

Edited by BRASSO