G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Gee. Sea lions again. I don't think there is any such citation to be made. This is just me extrapolating from the "three years in top eight" quote you already cited, as I've probably done a half-dozen or more times on these forums since the proposal first came to light. Previously I've run the numbers for a variety of years going back to at least the 1990s, to show how ridiculous the idea of the G7 is. This time it was to show that Boston would not yet qualify for "G" status. (I don't think you're claiming otherwise.)

I just want to stay with the parameters of the proposal.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I just want to stay with the parameters of the proposal.

That is your right. Either way, Boston's out, no?

36 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That is your right. Either way, Boston's out, no?

But using your data the Blue Knights actually would be in the three year in a row of placing eighth or higher club. However, it is futile to extrapolate actual results in that manner. That is because the rules of adjudication, show contest contsruction, touring, voting, and revenue distribution under the G7 proposal would be 'vastly' different. All of that power, all of it, would be under the control of the seven. And the minds of those who could draft that type of proposal are also the minds which would not want to share that power; so they would do anything in their power to keep a corps like BK or Boston from getting into the club.

Edited by Stu

On 9/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Look out for the sea lions---oh, too late.

(Capitalism is to economic systems what democracy, in Churchill's famous quote, is to forms of government: the worst kind, except for all the rest. Which is why no sensible person takes either of them in unadulterated form.)

To stay on topic: the TOC started letting more than the G7+1 appear quite some time ago now. We've had at least four, maybe more, years in which multiple non-G7, non-previous year's top eight corps have appeared in one or more TOC shows. Just off the top of my head, I know that Crossmen, who finished out of Finals in 2013, appeared at TOC Masillon in 2014.

yup and now Boston, BK and a few others have gotten in. I do wish that corps in a shows region, like Genesis or Surf could get in in the events in their area

12 hours ago, garfield said:

And don't think that this doesn't have some WC corps director's undies in a bunch.

agreed. then you have some upset that Open Class corps beat them at the end. 

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Yep; still the seven!!!!!

or lower believe it or not

9 hours ago, JAZZER said:

Well, I attended a TOC in '17 in which more than 50% of the performing corps were non-G7.       7/15 Dekalb

btw, I played a BBall game against the Globetrotters......and the Coach gave me #### for actually playing defense.

Still felt good to contest that layup......even though I hacked him pretty good!!!

and then they pulled the water trick out

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

And, the more corps you have, the more the money has to be split both in honorariums, gate and merchandise.

Well, for most shows, there probably is a right size. No matter how good the groups are, I think a significant part of the audience, those who aren't die-hard drum corps fans, gets tired after seven or eight groups. Which means they'll be less inclined to come back the following year. The trick then is to add shows in more locations. There used to be a lot more shows than there are nowadays. Then again, it's probably risky to start a show where there hasn't been one for a while. But that plan, done right, would ultimately lead to more money, not less, for the corps.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

From the report:

“In the opinion of these corps… it is not wise, or appropriate, that each of the current World Class corps have a vote that holds equal influence. Those who sell tickets, those who generate sales, those who are most marketable [G7] need to also control a larger portion of the vote on business and adjudication issues… A reclassification to AAA [G7], AA, and A will also play into governance, fascial remuneration, and overall control of the future”

If that had actually been implemented, do you really think that Boston would be where they are at today?

well maybe. Thats when Boston started making the large changes in how they run the organization. 

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, for most shows, there probably is a right size. No matter how good the groups are, I think a significant part of the audience, those who aren't die-hard drum corps fans, gets tired after seven or eight groups. Which means they'll be less inclined to come back the following year. The trick then is to add shows in more locations. There used to be a lot more shows than there are nowadays. Then again, it's probably risky to start a show where there hasn't been one for a while. But that plan, done right, would ultimately lead to more money, not less, for the corps.

well the majority of the money comes from the DCi specifically run events. That's where the big bucks can be, and more corps does split that pot up. That I believe is part of the contention. the other part is the names wanted more from the regular shows