G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Imho, the animosity rises when there are "too many" DCI corps......

The only 'animosity' was in the form of seven (narcissistic ego maniac money grabbing we are the show everyone else takes away our resources so they are there for us to pilfer abuse and eliminate) directors.

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Imho, the animosity rises when there are "too many" DCI corps that clearly have no intention to grow the strength of their product, let alone the DCI product as a whole. DCI seems to have largely, though not entirely, solved this by slowing down the rush to be a world class corps.

Still, there are a few corps out there that one might argue are and will always be world class entities in name only.

One might be able to argue that the activity needs no more than a dozen world class corps to fill a nationwide summer tour, and make enough money to support those corps. Still, for an activity that bills itself as a not for profit educational activity, drawing hard lines in the sand makes it feel a lot more like a business.

I think you (and DCI, if you're correct in your assessment of them) have this backwards.  One doesn't induce a drive to excel by building a cloistering wall around a protected class.  If DCI (and by that, I mean the corps) really want to stimulate nascent organizations to strive to move up, tear down the protective walls, make it easier to make the WC ranks, and encourage and nurture the spawning and growth of Open Class organizations with a desire to challenge their way up the ranks.

Because "World Class" is always defined by the competitors, the relative measure of success in the ranks can be measured in several ways.  But, in the minds of some directors, "success" in drum corps only means improvement in placement to challenge the perennials and be part of "the show".

One might argue that fewer is better, but they'd be wrong.  Have strong and firm requirements for acceptance but, if a corps makes the cut, let them in to kick sand in the bully's faces.  Create REAL competition by encouraging it instead of looking at the potential benefit as being a fixed amount that has to be "shared".  

DCI should quit worrying exclusively about dividing the pie and, instead, focus on both growing and dividing it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

The only 'animosity' was in the form of seven (narcissistic ego maniac money grabbing we are the show everyone else takes away our resources so they are there for us to pilfer abuse and eliminate) directors.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

... there are "too many" DCI corps that clearly have no intention to grow the strength of their product, let alone the DCI product as a whole. DCI seems to have largely, though not entirely, solved this by slowing down the rush to be a world class corps.

Still, there are a few corps out there that one might argue are and will always be world class entities in name only.

The G7 at least had the guts enough to actually point out and name the corps they considered beneath them in WC. So, by all means, have the guts enough to name the corps you believe have the intention of harming, hurting, destroying, the activity and have no intention of promoting the mission of DCI.  Go ahead, name them.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Exactly!!!!

On a different note; I loved that insurance commercial where Mrs. Lincoln asked Honest Abe if the dress made her look fat.  Abe, who as we all know from mythology could not tell a lie, was placed in a perplexing situation.  He could tell the truth and get whacked or stay silent and get 'the look'.  The moments of silence in that commercial were great!!!!!!

Edited by Stu

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Anywhoot, as to the joke: when you have to explain a joke, no matter what, it is no longer funny.

Sounds like a personal problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

One might be able to argue that the activity needs no more than a dozen world class corps to fill a nationwide summer tour, and make enough money to support those corps.

Seven might, nay 'did', argue that the maximum number in the top class should be seven, as in them, not a dozen.  And even then, they in their own proposal, admitted that was not enough of support; so they concocted the idea that the majority of voting power would go to them and the majority of organizational revenue generated from the corps beneath them would also be unequally distributed to the seven.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sounds like a personal problem

In the history of all joke telling, the laughing after the need for an explanation is more of a placate reaction than true gut-wrenching explosive laughter. just sayin'.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2017 at 10:30 PM, MikeRapp said:

Still, for an activity that bills itself as a not for profit educational activity, drawing hard lines in the sand makes it feel a lot more like a business.

When I read stuff like this it always drives me nuts!!!! Non-Profit...... "IS A BUSINESS"!!!!!!  All the term 'Non-Profit" means is that owners or stock holders cannot profit from the proceeds of the organization  The profit, which is completely necessary to continue running the organization, just must go back into the organization.  DCI, and the Corps, certainly are running businesses!!!!!  Those who realize that, from Pioneer to BD, survive; those who do not realize that, from Glassmen to Teal to Revo, ad infinitum, fail.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, garfield said:

If they truly wanted to help the non-7 corps, they'd open up the TOC shows to Genesis, Pio, PC, Surf, Colts, Spirit...

They shouldn't suggest that more corps doing better and challenging the perennial leaders is good and then charge them (or keep the nickels from them) at the same time.

Kind of like the team who always played against the Harlem Globetrotters - they got beaten every game but they ate well.  And the difference between the Globetrotters and drum corps is that, in drum corps, the unknown competitor can grow up and eat your lunch.

Well, I attended a TOC in '17 in which more than 50% of the performing corps were non-G7.       7/15 Dekalb

btw, I played a BBall game against the Globetrotters......and the Coach gave me #### for actually playing defense.

Still felt good to contest that layup......even though I hacked him pretty good!!!