2018 Staff Announcements (new thread)

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

1. Hopkins was never supported by the states

2. University of MD is currently supported by the state

3. Yes - all indications are the federal student loan program has led to hyper inflation of college tuition. Not much to "connect" - it just is what it is.

Spot on imo. There’s no way schools would be as expensive as they are now if the federal government wasn’t so willing to lend anyone and everyone so much money. It allows schools to push the limits of what they can ask for while forcing students to take on ridiculous debt in order to obtain an absolutely useless bachelors degree that has unfortunately become the bare minimum to obtaining a job nowadays. 

I am considered to be “lucky” that I’m only taking out the maximum federal loans (about 44k a year) rather than any additional high-interest private loans on top of those federal loans. 

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Spot on imo. There’s no way schools would be as expensive as they are now if the federal government wasn’t so willing to lend anyone and everyone so much money. 

This is not correct. Don't apply causation to some sort of spurious correlation. Increases in financial aid have gone hand-in-hand with decreases in state funding for public schools. I can't speak for private schools (e.g., I've never heard of Hopkins University/College, though I'd be suspicious of how it handles money given the name... here's guessing it spends a lot of money on gaudy tarps). Also, cost of doing business (e.g., healthcare for employees) has increased exponentially over that time. 

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It allows schools to push the limits of what they can ask for while forcing students to take on ridiculous debt in order to obtain an absolutely useless bachelors degree that has unfortunately become the bare minimum to obtaining a job nowadays. 

This is a pretty absurd statement. 

Edited by kdaddy

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

This is a pretty absurd statement. 

Agree. While there are lots of problems with college costs, nobody held a gun to anyone's head to make them sign papers to allow others to give them the dough they lacked to pay for their choice of school and/ or self chosen college major. Not a lot of sympathy to be garnered if their decisions did not later work out and then they want " debt forgiveness "..  No. I don't think so. Welcome to the Real World.

In today's working world it's less where you went to college as much as what did you do when you were there.  You can go to an ivy and waste time and money or go to an expensive state u and do the same.  Or you can go to a less costly school,  state or otherwise,  and work hard, get a very good education, network with peers and alums and get a good job and begin building a career.  My son visited a school this summer; private at $55k/year.  He can get what he feels is a fairly equal education but a better school experience at a state u for less than half that.  This will work for him.  It will be a good match.  The worst person I ever worked for was a Harvard grad.  Just a snobby elitist miserable jack wagon.  He paid a lot of money to become a jerk.  But he was good at it so I guess that's saying something.

Not for nothing, but isn't it a curious thing to ponder that many of the current people screwing up the Banks, the Government, the Federal Treasury,, the Country, etc... tended to go to the Fancy Pants Universities ? 

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

This is not correct. Don't apply causation to some sort of spurious correlation. Increases in financial aid have gone hand-in-hand with decreases in state funding for public schools. I can't speak for private schools (e.g., I've never heard of Hopkins University/College, though I'd be suspicious of how it handles money given the name... here's guessing it spends a lot of money on gaudy tarps).

That would be Johns Hopkins University... long considered one of the top private universities not only in the USA, but the world.

Rest assured... JHU is not spending money on gaudy tarps.  LOL

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

That would be Johns Hopkins University... long considered one of the top private universities not only in the USA, but the world.

lacrosse school called Blue Jays or something like that. Excellent medical school.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Ah, I've indeed heard of that institution, just not by its shortened name, I guess. Did several faculty recently leave Hopkins for Boston (either College or University)??

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Agree. While there are lots of problems with college costs, nobody held a gun to anyone's head to make them sign papers to allow others to give them the dough they lacked to pay for their choice of school and/ or self chosen college major. Not a lot of sympathy to be garnered if their decisions did not later work out and then they want " debt forgiveness "..  No. I don't think so. Welcome to the Real World.

Huh? So it’s somehow our fault that college tuition is significantly higher than it was 10-15 years ago? And no, inflation has nothing to do with it 

• Like 1