2018 Staff Announcements (new thread)

Just now, kdaddy said:

Cool, so you're comparing DCI to itself. 

No; you did not ask me to compare organizations; you merely asked me to name a Major League which had a roster of of 150 and where the careers are three years or so. The answer to that question is DCI.

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

This is an accurate assessment, imo. That said,  therec are understandable explanations for this. in many NCAA sports ( and certainly the Pros ) a star player plays on a team for a minimum of  at least a year or two where his or her name becomes promoted as celebrity... usually by a large media/ and or a major shoe company or sportswear company or whatever. in DCI, most of the performer " stars " tend to move from DCI Corps to DCI Corps, eventually many winding up in the Blue Devils or such where their " star " season runs about 9 weeks long, and for 1, maybe 2 seasons as a featured soloist performer.  Also, in the sports world, fans follow the names of the celebrity players as they are about to become wealthy millionaires in their 20's. None of the star performers in DCI competition get a dime. As a matter of fact, they pay for the 9 week of notoriety, as short and as team oriented that exposure will be. Finally, in the sports world, games tend to be won by the players in performance., usually 1-62 in numbers on a team. In DCI, increasingly, the points in competition are increasingly found not as much in performance execution, by the youthfu, celebrityl " stars " ( compared to previous eras anyway ) but in the adult created design of the show itself. We all know Corps that were doomed in scores/ placements from the minute the busses rolled into the stadium parking lots, no matter their performer talent, as the show design was comparatively subpar compared to other Corps in their DCI pecking order. Because scores/ placements now are so dependent on show designs, money follows that, and the adults that can create the better show designs are being rewarded 1st on the sheets, then by the Corps themselves financially. Performers, and prospective performers then tend to gravitate to Corps that have these known educators, as the youthful applicants themselves begin to publicize these talented adult educators among their own youthful circles. It is more likely thus that it is actually the youth that are giving the adults the most notoriety , as many of the youthful performers/ applicants follow these known staffers to the Corps/ WGI/ units they are paid staffers with.

I doubt very much if most DCI marching members are familiar with the "who's who" of the creative and instructional personnel in the DCI world outside their own corps, and most marching members remain relatively unknown.  DCI definitely benefits the creative and instructional personnel much more so than marching members, at the cost of the marching members who are paying a premium for an experience that is made or broken by corps staff.  I doubt very seriously if the creative staff considers the capabilities of the marching members when designing a show.  That would be counter productive to progressive minds with a progressive showman mind.

19 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

I doubt very much if most DCI marching members are familiar with the "who's who" of the creative and instructional personnel in the DCI world outside their own corps,

Oh gosh no.  A LOT of them do know.  DCI/ WGI youth talk among themselves all the time. Especially in the Guard world. The notion that  most  of the top  adult educational talent in WGI/ DCI world is not known to many or most  of the talented performers in these circles is not my experience/ assessment. DCI Corps marchers in the non top 16 Corps and in Open Class Corps may not know whos's who in great Show Designs to the same degree of knowledge, but the notion that  most  of the top youthful performers in WGI/ DCI world don't know who the best Show Designers are in WGI/DCI/ Guard world is something that we will just have to respectfully just disagree on then..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Oh gosh no.  A LOT of them do know.  DCI/ WGI youth talk among themselves all the time. Especially in the Guard world. The notion that  most  of the top  adult educational talent in WGI/ DCI world is not known to many or most  of the talented performers in these circles is not my experience/ assessment. DCI Corps marchers in the non top 16 Corps and in Open Class Corps may not know whos's who in great Show Designs to the same degree of knowledge, but the notion that  most  of the top youthful performers in WGI/ DCI world don't know who the best Show Designers are in WGI/DCI/ Guard world is something that we will just have to respectfully just disagree on then..

This part I can totally agree with. You are correct

40 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

I  I doubt very seriously if the creative staff considers the capabilities of the marching members when designing a show. 

True enough.... and sometimes, as we have seen over the years, to that Corps ultimate wrong decision in retrospect. Its hard for show designers too though,as they oftentimes are not prepared to be fully aware of the Corps performance talent available to them in the off season  when they put the construct of the show together. For too many times to count, over the years we've seen Corps where the show demands on them were simply too hard for them to ever get clean. It was over the heads of too many of their marchers that season... sometimes requiring rewrites after rewrites, the watering down of the charts and or/ visuals.... and in a short 9 week seaaon now, they never could get it right. It happens to even the perennially top Corps sometimes too.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Stu said:

DCI, the only Major League where the fan focus is on the coaches and not the players. DCI, the only youth competitive organization where the fan focus is on the adults not the youth.

And that has what to do with this particular thread?  Please go to the Complaints-that-no-one-listens-to thread.  It's a trolling thread.

• Like 1