2018 Staff Announcements (new thread)

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

1992: The Higher Education Amendments of 1992 create FAFSA, the Direct Lending program, and unsubsidized Stafford loans.

1993: The Student Loan Reform Act officially implements the Direct Lending program. Under this program, the government directly lends to borrowers, as opposed to through a private institution.

another Clinton era program/change

You're seriously blaming Clinton for the The Higher Education Amendments of 1992?  Man, he must have been more powerful than I thought to cause George Bush to sign that over 100 days before Bush lost to Clinton in the election.

And as for the 1993 Act you mentioned, I thought that died in Congress.  Clinton's 1993 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 did phase in direct lending, however, starting with a voluntary college participation, and authorizing the Sec. Ed. to require colleges, if necessary, to reach 60% direct lending.  But that was merely following the pilot program created by Congress the prior year (again, before Clinton was elected), and based upon the research undertaken by the Bush administration.

But by 1997, direct loan participation was already declining due to Republican congressional changes that enabled the student loan industry to use their clout (and money) to lure colleges back to the guaranty system.  That trend reversed in 2008 because of the credit market crisis, and then in 2010 the guaranty program was officially terminated by congress & Obama.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I hope this post doesn't bother the decidedly intellectual goings-on in the thread. Apologies in advance.

News

Meet the (crossmen) 2018 Percussion Staff!

http://www.crossmen.org/news#Section33238830

How dare you post any staff announcements here.  :8_laughing:

• Like 2

Gino Cipriani and the brass team welcome T. André Feagin! Click below to read more!

https://bostoncrusaders.org/…/gino-cipriani-brass-team-wel…/

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, wonker said:

Gino Cipriani and the brass team welcome T. André Feagin! Click below to read more!

https://bostoncrusaders.org/…/gino-cipriani-brass-team-wel…/

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting

Fantastic !!!... SCV, Phantom Reg, Carolina Crown pedigree ( among other groups ). Great guy. Fabulous pick up for Boston, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I just loved watching Andre Feagin work a brass line. He's a hellava conductor. He's never missed a beat from his marching DM conducting days in DCI, imo..  terrific pickup for  Boston. here's a clip of him working a brass line ( SCV ) from 2010 2009. Such control, yet getting the line to also play with feeling and emotion...  Gino and Andre working together at Boston... awesome !

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I just loved watching Andre Feagin work a brass line. He's a hellava conductor. He's never missed a beat from his marching DM conducting days in DCI, imo..  terrific pickup for  Boston. here's a clip of him working a brass line ( SCV ) from 2010 2009. Such control, yet getting the line to also play with feeling and emotion...  Gino and Andre working together at Boston... awesome !

While I like the direction SCV is heading in now, I wish he would've stuck with SCV (or they would've stuck with him, however that worked) for a little longer.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 8:21 AM, George Dixon said:

people do have personal reasons Jeff --> my understanding is he left Cadets to be at home for family etc type priorities; and the position at Boston, they've agreed to let him do it from home. Position at Cadets was a touring role. He seemed quite happy at Cadets - either that or he is the world's greatest thespian 

then good for him. If Cadets had allowed that he might have stayed. Hence as I said, if things were so great, why didnt he stay? not being able to work from home constitutes falling under the "not so great" category in my book.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:19 AM, xandandl said:

Ok, having run the numbers, I've got you down for 6 sponsorships for the upcoming 2021 season:1 for BD just because, 2 for Regiment, 1.4 for Crown's brassline, 0.6 for Cadets, and the Cappybara Annual Award for the most worthy Open Class candidate trying to march World Class in his/her/their age-out year, any corps except the Bingoistas of California, Crossmen and Troopers who have their oil well revenues,  BAC whose investments have made drum corps free for all Crusaders, Bloo because they will have transitioned to be a Country Western music icon stealing that title from Nashville's Music City, and the Cavaliers, now holding camps in Okinawa to accommodate all their auditionees.  All other corps will be eligible for the Dixon Memorial awards.

That will leave you plenty of braces (I mean dental prosthetic) to rip off the junior high set and pay off those student loans in seven months.

Now back to staff changes, faculty appointments, and true rumors of who's where and why.

i'll get you a good rate on your mortgage too

23 hours ago, kdaddy said:

This is not correct. Don't apply causation to some sort of spurious correlation. Increases in financial aid have gone hand-in-hand with decreases in state funding for public schools. I can't speak for private schools (e.g., I've never heard of Hopkins University/College, though I'd be suspicious of how it handles money given the name... here's guessing it spends a lot of money on gaudy tarps). Also, cost of doing business (e.g., healthcare for employees) has increased exponentially over that time. 

This is a pretty absurd statement. 

you've heard of Johns Hopkins. in the region it's just called Hopkins. No relation...he went to West Chester, a state school

• Like 1