Alabama A&M

There was an article in Smithsonian magazine in the past year about the big Battle of the Bands event that's held every year.

And people said the Bluecoats' guard outfits were too revealing.

Alabama A&M is really good. I love watching this style just as much as I love show band, military style, or corps style. I love how physical this dance/swing style is. Everyone fully commits to the dances, the body moves, the horns up, the powerful playing. No one is holding back or half-arsing it. I'm not a huge fan of the blasting, especially in the tubas and low brass, but I still dig the style and love their energy.  That's a good college football game halftime show! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Just because it's the offseason, I wanted to say that Alabama A&M played at Vandy this past weekend, and their band got a long, very long, standing ovation after halftime. They flat out blew the paint off the walls of that stadium. And it struck me how few of those truly stellar marching members will ever darken the door of a DCI audition.

A few of them march with corps but even the ones that don't are very much aware of the drum corps world. To be honest, there are a few reasons why a lot of them don't but that's another topic for another thread.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Alabama A&M is really good. I love watching this style just as much as I love show band, military style, or corps style. I love how physical this dance/swing style is. Everyone fully commits to the dances, the body moves, the horns up, the powerful playing. No one is holding back or half-arsing it. I'm not a huge fan of the blasting, especially in the tubas and low brass, but I still dig the style and love their energy.  That's a good college football game halftime show! 

i agree 1000%. When Drumline came out, so many corps people trashed it...gotta love it for what it is!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crownisking said:

A few of them march with corps but even the ones that don't are very much aware of the drum corps world. To be honest, there are a few reasons why a lot of them don't but that's another topic for another thread.

other than the obvious( lack of financial resources), please give a little insight as to why more  HBCU band members choose to avoid DCI..your explanation  doesn't have to be deep or overly complicated..the topic has always interested me since the talent pool seems to be pretty vast

16 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

....Thus the standing ovation, which no doubt included the Vandy band.

No doubt. Considering you can clearly see the Vandy band already standing at the back sideline waiting to take the field. 

Edited by mingusmonk

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

other than the obvious( lack of financial resources), please give a little insight as to why more  HBCU band members choose to avoid DCI..your explanation  doesn't have to be deep or overly complicated..the topic has always interested me since the talent pool seems to be pretty vast

Financial resources I'd say is probably reason #1.  Reasons two and three are a little controversial but here goes.

Second, while a lot of HBCU band members are definitely aware of DCI and summer drum corps in general, they don't necessarily like it. I've heard some of them say out of their mouths that some of the best shows in drum corps history are boring to them. 

And third, to be perfectly blunt, a good number of them aren't as technically proficient as you might think. IMO, one of the downsides to show bands is that they rarely teach fundamentals.

32 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Financial resources I'd say is probably reason #1.  Reasons two and three are a little controversial but here goes.

Second, while a lot of HBCU band members are definitely aware of DCI and summer drum corps in general, they don't necessarily like it. I've heard some of them say out of their mouths that some of the best shows in drum corps history are boring to them. 

And third, to be perfectly blunt, a good number of them aren't as technically proficient as you might think. IMO, one of the downsides to show bands is that they rarely teach fundamentals.

thank you for your response..I've always suspected that fundamentals might be problematic and also the choices of music that tend to be esoteric and CHOPPED to smithereens..LOL

Edited by waliman4444
spelling erroe