Alabama A&M

4 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

other than the obvious( lack of financial resources), please give a little insight as to why more  HBCU band members choose to avoid DCI..your explanation  doesn't have to be deep or overly complicated..the topic has always interested me since the talent pool seems to be pretty vast

I’m not him but when Madison did ESOM a few years back, there was a big debate on an HBCU chat board that covered it fairly well. ESOM was a signature song for a band so their comments were interesting. It was linked to this site. Maybe a search will find it

If DCI open the sheets to reward different styles by their own merits, perhaps.  but otherwise, why would they march DCI?  

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

I’m not him but when Madison did ESOM a few years back, there was a big debate on an HBCU chat board that covered it fairly well. ESOM was a signature song for a band so their comments were interesting. It was linked to this site. Maybe a search will find it

http://forum.the5thquarter.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11925

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

If DCI open the sheets to reward different styles by their own merits, perhaps.  but otherwise, why would they march DCI?  

I'm not so sure about that. How can you score showbands? If you put a magnifying glass to them, you'll see that their performances are absolulty filthy. Music, visual, and ESPECIALLY color guard. It all looks and sounds a hot mess from the field. It's entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of them spend up to a third of their show standing completely still in a concert arc. How does one judge that?

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Use a tic system?

I can see that only going desasterously wrong. The spreads would be so wide it would be an insult to the kids. Showband was never meant to be more than entertainment. Way too much dirt to ever be judged. 

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

I'm not so sure about that. How can you score showbands? If you put a magnifying glass to them, you'll see that their performances are absolulty filthy. Music, visual, and ESPECIALLY color guard. It all looks and sounds a hot mess from the field. It's entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of them spend up to a third of their show standing completely still in a concert arc. How does one judge that?

by the magic of GE

It would be asinine to score HBCU bands against DCI corps scores. The only thing it would prove is that HBCU's aren't designing, teaching and executing to DCI sheets ... which ... duh. Why would they?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

by the magic of GE

I suppose GE is worth something to fans but if that's literally all a show has to offer then what is it really worth in the judging community?

I hate that I probably sound like I'm attacking showbands. I actually really enjoy the shows for their entertainment value. I just don't see how it could have any place whatsoever in DCI.

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

But is it more entertaining or less entertaining than what drum corps do?

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But is it more entertaining or less entertaining than what drum corps do?

Depends on the show. I've been to countless DCI shows and I've been to my share of showband events. If we're talking overall value for one whole night, I'd say DCI and it's not even close. I get way more variety at a drum corps show than I ever do at a showband event. Also, I've never had any showband bring me to tears. I will say though that there have been a few HBCU band shows over the years that I've enjoyed quite a bit. Maybe even more so than a few of the big corps' less popular shows. 

• Like 1