Alabama A&M

11 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

Thank goodness. I find it completely unwatchable. 

Your perogative to have that opinion. But I have a feeling that I would rather watch them play than watch you play on your green snare. And it is my perogative to have that opinion.

Edited by Stu

On 9/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, crownisking said:

I'm not so sure about that. How can you score showbands? If you put a magnifying glass to them, you'll see that their performances are absolulty filthy. Music, visual, and ESPECIALLY color guard. It all looks and sounds a hot mess from the field. It's entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of them spend up to a third of their show standing completely still in a concert arc. How does one judge that?

well, old school drum corps spent a 1/3 of the show in a concert arc and survived

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 4:38 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

But is it more entertaining or less entertaining than what drum corps do?

it depends on what each person finds entertaining. 

On 09/13/2017 at 12:44 PM, crownisking said:

I'm not so sure about that. How can you score showbands? If you put a magnifying glass to them, you'll see that their performances are absolulty filthy. Music, visual, and ESPECIALLY color guard. It all looks and sounds a hot mess from the field. It's entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of them spend up to a third of their show standing completely still in a concert arc. How does one judge that?

Go to the dentist, get a pro cleaning, then immediately put your mouth under a magnifying scope; that will also show it to still be a filthy mess. Point is that human musical performance is not meant to be clinically clean under the magnafying lens. And there have been some great articles posted by ASCAP about how the human emotion 'rails' against electronic clinical perfection such as auto tune, auto correct, and auto quantizing. just sayin'.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

So... I guess inviting you to see a Mummers band show is out of the question?   :tongue:

LOL...I'm seeing the mini motor cycles and the fezzes  on parade...Great GE!

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Go to the dentist, get a pro cleaning, then immediately put your mouth under a magnifying scope; that will also show it to still be a filthy mess. Point is that human musical performance is not meant to be clinically clean under the magnafying lens. And there have been some great articles posted by ASCAP about how the human emotion 'rails' against electronic clinical perfection such as auto tune, auto correct, and auto quantizing. just sayin'.

I kind of like this analogy.