Any word on CD/DVD/Blu-ray products for 2017

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's still a large majority of fans that like hysical media and dont want to #### around with that interwebs stuff

I'm a computer/ internet savvy millennial but I would prefer to have a Blu-ray disc rather than only digital. I have every DCI finals on DVD/Blu and it would be pretty disappointing to no longer have that option. I guess maybe it's a new version of preferring vinyl over cassette or CD.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MikeN said:

Just seems like selling *any* kind of physical product in 2017 makes no sense, much less DCI letting it continue to wag the merchandising dog.

Mike

I'd probably like to have the option of either digital or DVD/Blu-Ray. The latter to keep up a physical collection. But the former is increasingly becoming more convenient. The current mp4 downloads are okay, but difficult to treat as anything other than a computer file. Rather, I'd like to buy or rent on iTunes and watch on the TV. Sound running through my older Blue-Ray is not great.

21 hours ago, MikeN said:

Just seems like selling *any* kind of physical product in 2017 makes no sense, much less DCI letting it continue to wag the merchandising dog.

Mike

I think a combination would be great. As an avid reader, I my iPad which has the Kindle app is essential, but I want physical copies of certain books. I love my collection of DVD's though I love Netflix. Collectors will buy the physical products, as will those who do not download, but the second group has to be get back smaller.

Profits could also play a role. Lesser known writers and musicians claim they make very little on downloads from iTunes, etc.  but make a reasonable profit from books CD's. I'm assuming the number of BluRay/DVD sold by DCI would be less than 10,000 of any given year. A physical product may have a higher profit margin. I base the 10,000 number on requirements for being sold at big box stores such as Barnes and Noble. While a Barnes and Noble may sell a local writer' book or a local musician's CD, 10,000 units is the general guideline for national distribution.  My thought is we would be able to purchase DVD's at B and N or BestBuy if there were more units. I don't recall ever seeing sales figures, so if I'm way off, I'll stand corrected.

On 16/09/2017 at 4:12 AM, Hrothgar15 said:

Interesting to see what will happen with Carolina Crown's show on the DVDs.

I hope all the errors are left in. That was their finals performance. Live by electronics, die by electronics. If corps don't want that sort of thing to happen, maybe they should reduce their usage and ensure what they do use is as near bulletproof as possible. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beckham said:

I'm a computer/ internet savvy millennial but I would prefer to have a Blu-ray disc rather than only digital. I have every DCI finals on DVD/Blu and it would be pretty disappointing to no longer have that option. I guess maybe it's a new version of preferring vinyl over cassette or CD.

Burn the downloaded files to your own BluRay. 

On 9/15/2017 at 5:48 PM, leed17 said:

Marchingmusicdownloads.com?

leed17,

Thanks, I had forgotten about that site...

On 9/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, shofmon88 said:

I hope all the errors are left in. That was their finals performance. Live by electronics, die by electronics. If corps don't want that sort of thing to happen, maybe they should reduce their usage and ensure what they do use is as near bulletproof as possible. 

Crown's 2012 show was cleaned up a bit. One soloist missed a note in finals that is fine on the CD and DVD. However, a missed note is minor in comparison to the amplification issues of this year's show. 

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, leed17 said:

Marchingmusicdownloads.com?

MMD's pricing is not geared to the digital collector.  $15 for one corps = $180 for the top 12.  For a product that literally has no added per unit cost, as it's built from the same file they use for the Blu Rays.  MMD has never run a video "bundle," though they have done audio ones, and this price has been consistent for three years now, since the site opened.

Now with that said, digital licensing costs different than physical licensing.  I'm not entirely sure, though, that it's truly responsible for a 75% (compared to BR disc) or 100% (compared to DVD) markup?

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

Crown's 2012 show was cleaned up a bit. One soloist missed a note in finals that is fine on the CD and DVD. However, a missed note is minor in comparison to the amplification issues of this year's show. 

I don't mind cleaning up a bit. SCV 2015 had the keyboard soloist patched in from the semifinals performance, and I'm pretty grateful for that. But as you said, it's pretty minor compared to the problems Crown had this season. They got third though still, so I guess they should be proud of their performance.