Any word on CD/DVD/Blu-ray products for 2017

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

I can’t believe the Cavaliers ruined the entire 2017 DVD by picking a song that wouldn’t get cleared

People say stuff like this a lot, mostly when they don't understand how the different forms of copyright clearances work. Essentially, it boils down to this...

1. The Cavaliers are only responsible for securing custom arranging rights. This allows them to program a show with the music licences.

2. The Cavaliers are not responsible for securing synchronization rights. That falls to the producers of the DVD.

3. Custom arranging and synchronization rights have nothing to do with each other, and different publishers may have different policies in place dealing with them, both in general, and related to specific music/composers.

4. Only arrangers/corps can apply for custom arranging rights, and only producers can apply for synchronization rights. In this case, The Cavaliers can *only* apply for synchronization rights if they plan to produce their own DVD. And even so, the ultimate answer may be wildly different for a single corps than it would be for DCI.

5. Custom arranging rights come in two flavors: Stand alone, and medley. Intent to use a piece of music in a medley can have a different cost, or even outright denial from the publisher (mash-ups are considered medleys), even when stand-alone arrangements are granted. 

6. Synchronization rights are often only granted *after* the performance is complete and the recording is submitted to the publisher for approval. Obviously, this would impact DCI in a very big way.

So yea, it's not as simple as saying, "Those darned Cavies...picking a tune that wouldn't make the DVD!"

Edited by Kamarag

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

People say stuff like this a lot, mostly when they don't understand how the different forms of copyright clearances work. Essentially, it boils down to this...

1. The Cavaliers are only responsible for securing custom arranging rights. This allows them to program a show with the music licences.

2. The Cavaliers are not responsible for securing synchronization rights. That falls to the producers of the DVD.

3. Custom arranging and synchronization rights have nothing to do with each other, and different publishers may have different policies in place dealing with them, both in general, and related to specific music/composers.

4. Only arrangers/corps can apply for custom arranging rights, and only producers can apply for synchronization rights. In this case, The Cavaliers can *only* apply for synchronization rights if they plan to produce their own DVD. And even so, the ultimate answer may be wildly different for a single corps than it would be for DCI.

5. Custom arranging rights come in two flavors: Stand alone, and medley. Intent to use a piece of music in a medley can have a different cost, or even outright denial from the publisher (mash-ups are considered medleys), even when stand-alone arrangements are granted. 

6. Synchronization rights are often only granted *after* the performance is complete and the recording is submitted to the publisher for approval. Obviously, this would impact DCI in a very big way.

So yea, it's not as simple as saying, "Those darned Cavies...picking a tune that wouldn't make the DVD!"

Glad  you got that off your chest, anything else I can do for you? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cowtown said:

I can’t believe the Cavaliers ruined the entire 2017 DVD by picking a song that wouldn’t get cleared.

Nicely done.

On 9/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, shofmon88 said:

Burn the downloaded files to your own BluRay. 

You are still limited by the original source. There is no way a digital download at the low bitrates we see can compete with the higher bitrates we see on Bluray disc...even if you copy it to a Bluray disc. 

Our eyes can easily dismiss low resolution visuals(we loved DVD), but our ears cannot always escape the digital artifacts of low bitrate highly compressed sound. This is why MP3 is dead, and lossless CD quality sound rules the audio streaming market. 

On 9/19/2017 at 8:26 PM, Beckham said:

This isn't anything new for Tom Blair and his crew to handle. In 2006 The Woodlands High School from Texas had a singing+wireless mic issue in BOA finals that was very similar to the issue Crown had. TB and co spliced the audio from an earlier round and made it seamless for the finals DVD. Not like this is a problem that has just cropped up in the last couple years.

They have been doing this with live recording for decades. When I have recorded live orchestra concerts, I ALWAYS record the rehearsal as well. If something goes wrong during the live recording, I always have something I can pull from to fill in the gap. With digital audio, it is nothing more than highlight, copy, insert, and click. 

Edited by deftguy
  • Like 1

In an email to DCI Friends members who renewed their membership, it was stated that 2017 Cd sets would be available soon, but the Blu-ray/DVD would take a bit longer to be released...hope they can get it out before the holidays.  

2 hours ago, leed17 said:

In an email to DCI Friends members who renewed their membership, it was stated that 2017 Cd sets would be available soon, but the Blu-ray/DVD would take a bit longer to be released...hope they can get it out before the holidays.  

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say this is a scheme to get us to first buy the CD, then buy the Blu-Ray.

Edited by Fracker

3 minutes ago, Fracker said:

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say this is a scheme to get us to first buy the CD, then buy the Blu-Ray.

I think its just easier to get audio licenses for the CD's than it is sync licenses for the videos.  Last year there weren't any cuts to the CD's, but some cuts were on the vids and also they never released some of the 13 - 25 corps on video for downloads at the Marching Music Downloads site (the 13 - 25 were all on the CD set though).  The video licensing is probably much more expensive and much more difficult to obtain.  I'm glad at least the CD's will be out soon... :)