Favorite City for DCA Championships, and Why?

Favorite city for DCA championships, and why?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Of the cities in which DCA championships have been held, which is your favorite?

• Milford, CT ('65)
    • Bridgeport, CT ('66-67)
    • Rochester, NY ('68-71, 73-76, 96, 06-11, 14-17)
    • Jersey City, NJ ('72)
    • Allentown, PA ('77-78, 82-87, 89-90, 97-99)
    • Hershey, PA ('79-80, 88)
    • Philadelphia, PA ('81)
    • Scranton, PA ('91-95, 02-05)
    • Syracuse, NY ('00-01)
    • Annapolis, MD ('12-13)

Specifically, favorite for hosting a DCA championship?

And why? What ought a DCA host city have to offer? (To the corps, to the fans, or to both.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Annapolis tops my list.  And I would say that even if I lived five states away, instead of an hour or less as I do.  The stadium is a major-league venue... and the city, and DC/Baltimore/Eastern Shore region,  are great for dining and sightseeing.  

My sleeper pick for second: Syracuse.

I wonder if I am literally the only person who feels this way....LOL... but I thought the two Syracuse years were great ones.  IMO, the stadium and the OnCenter convention center were terrific venues for the field and I&E events. Plus, the Friday night parade and concert at the NYS fairgrounds were both great exposure for DCA.

And I seem to remember a big crowd for finals, in particular. Few, if any, empty seats.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

only been to 5 of them, since 96, but like them all for different reasons. Annapolis for the city, Allentown for the parade and I&E downtown, Scranton for the I&E (when not cold), the lot concerts, and the Italian fest, Syracuse for the stadium and the carousel mall, Rochester cuz it's home (and the lot concerts before they were nixed). voted Annapolis

edit - oooh, forgot; Red Hot & Blue in Annapolis

Edited by dbriggs

8 hours ago, Ron H said:

I only submitted Annapolis because it is the closest stadium to the dozens of Midwestern stadiums that could also host DCA that are decent, beautiful, acoustically great and relatively inexpensive.

Via Google Maps:

Rochester, by road, is two hours closer to the Twin Cities than Annapolis is. 1/2 hour closer to Cincinnati.

While I agree that Finals should probably drift a little further west, the north/south aspect of Annapolis vs. Rochester gives the advantage to the northernmost stadium. This now opens the debate over what should be done for the southern corps, but that's a problem I'd have to come back to later.

Great stadium, lot's of choices for dining, lot's more to do (sightseeing).  With all things considered it has to be Annapolis.  I do agree with Fran that the concerts at the NYS fairgrounds were a benefit for DCA in exposing drum corps to hopefully new fans.

• Like 1

I've only been attending DCA championships for six years, so I've only been to two venues.

One downside of the stadium at Annapolis vs. the stadium at Rochester, at least for my otherwise excellently-located seat the first year (high, nearly on the 50, and, though I didn't realize it at the time, right behind Kamarag), was that I noise from the concession windows could be heard behind/beneath me.

On the other hand, every year at Rochester I've occasionally heard other corps warming up in the distance, and that wasn't an issue for me at Annapolis.