Favorite City for DCA Championships, and Why?

Favorite city for DCA championships, and why?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Of the cities in which DCA championships have been held, which is your favorite?

• Milford, CT ('65)
    • Bridgeport, CT ('66-67)
    • Rochester, NY ('68-71, 73-76, 96, 06-11, 14-17)
    • Jersey City, NJ ('72)
    • Allentown, PA ('77-78, 82-87, 89-90, 97-99)
    • Hershey, PA ('79-80, 88)
    • Philadelphia, PA ('81)
    • Scranton, PA ('91-95, 02-05)
    • Syracuse, NY ('00-01)
    • Annapolis, MD ('12-13)

"DCA Champ Fave:"

Quite possible the very first one at Milford's John Law HS in 1965.  Not the greatest of locales, but "VERY up close and personnal" with the corps, as the  concert side bleachers were so close, and the sell out crowd, both sides got me a seat on the sideline grass  at the "50", with the super soloists of the day seranading me only a few feet away!!!!!!!!!!      :guinesssmilie:

One of my best ever drum corps memories!!!!!!!!!!     :thumbup:

Elphaba       :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

Annapolis is running away with it, having so far received almost twice as many votes as the runner-up, Allentown.

Scheduling vis a vis the football team, is the main sticking point with Annapolis. Also, Williamsport didn't require the automatic purchase blocks of hotel rooms, either. Also, after what happened the one year... I would wonder if they'd want us back. All it takes is one negative to sink the ship in today's environment.

A-Town's stadium is adequate, parking is an issue. It's not as clean or updated like Annapolis. The same issues would apply to Hershey without the parking problems, though HERCO will get you at the entrance for a nice little parking fee.

10 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I wonder if Annapolis has made another bid since then. I know they had a conflict with a football game for the year after their 2 year gig. Was the attendance good ? did DCA have the wanted economic impact in the area?  Seems based on our very limited poll Annapolis should be vying to host again.

yes. However cheapest deal wins

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes. However cheapest deal wins

Cheap doesn't always mean the best place ,having only seen photo's of Williamsport ,i don't think it  comes close to Annapolis .

17 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"DCA Champ Fave:"

Quite possible the very first one at Milford's John Law HS in 1965.  Not the greatest of locales, but "VERY up close and personnal" with the corps, as the  concert side bleachers were so close, and the sell out crowd, both sides got me a seat on the sideline grass  at the "50", with the super soloists of the day seranading me only a few feet away!!!!!!!!!!      :guinesssmilie:

One of my best ever drum corps memories!!!!!!!!!!     :thumbup:

Elphaba       :flower:

Well Elphie ... I must have been sitting next or near to you because that's where I watched most of the show from ... I remember the Yankee Rebels coming closet to the sideline ... was surprised with Reading's win ... it was a GREAT atmosphere in an "old style" HS Stadium ... similar to Longbrook Park for the Barnum and Hedges for the WO in 64 ... good memories ... too bad I can't remember who you are ... LOL ...:blink:

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 5:10 AM, Florida Sun said:

Cheap doesn't always mean the best place ,having only seen photo's of Williamsport ,i don't think it  comes close to Annapolis .

don't talk logic. this is drum corps

• Like 4

Being as honest as I can, I don't think anything else ever came close to Annapolis in terms of the overall site.

I think in certain ways, Williamsport has an edge over Scranton/Montage. The view is better, the acoustics are better, the turf/surface for the performer is far better. Scranton's seats were nicer. It had a bar, which according to quite a few individuals, is a major perk and huge advantage. Parking may have been better.

Hershey Stadium's parking is better. However, HERCO gets you pretty good through their toll booths for that nice parking. Everything else vis a vis WIlliamsport could be a tossup and a dead heat, though some of the plumbing inside Hershey stadium needs work, the venue in that way is showing its age. I've had scalding water drip from a leaky pipe on me while using the restroom there the last couple of times I've been there. Just being honest here, even though the facility is no more than 15 minutes from my house if traffic cooperates.

I'm unsure how much A-Town has improved the restrooms since I was last there several years ago. It needed to be done and I know renovations were in progress. Parking isn't as easy by far as Williamsport or Hershey. The view, drum corps provenance, all give it some edge in some old-time ways, though. I do think, though that Williamsport may have an edge in terms of the acoustics and view for what DCA corps do now.

Not including Franklin Field in the comments even though I was there in 1981, I'm uncertain if it would really be a viable option today. I don't think it had any real upside to any of the other venues mentioned except for the fact you could do some sightseeing in Philly if one wanted to do so. I'd be glad to tour guide peeps though Penn's Landing and the USS Olympia, USS New Jersey, and have dinner at the Moshulu, or take folks through the Simeone Museum, which I know well. That's about the only perk I can think of there. Parking, acoustics, view, seats- it really doesn't have any notable edge/advantage to Williamsport.

Allentown is not going to be part of the equation any time soon due to the Fair...and Scrantons stadium has been totally remodeled. looks nothing like it did. 

Not only that, Jeff- IIRC, it was set up to be pretty much exclusively a baseball stadium for the Yankee farm system, which made hosting events like ACC's and DCA's an impossibility.

I mentioned Scranton more to compare the venue to Williamsport. If Williamsport had a restaurant/bar and better bathrooms, it'd beat Montage hands down in just about every area, I think.