Favorite City for DCA Championships, and Why?

Favorite city for DCA championships, and why?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Of the cities in which DCA championships have been held, which is your favorite?

• Milford, CT ('65)
    • Bridgeport, CT ('66-67)
    • Rochester, NY ('68-71, 73-76, 96, 06-11, 14-17)
    • Jersey City, NJ ('72)
    • Allentown, PA ('77-78, 82-87, 89-90, 97-99)
    • Hershey, PA ('79-80, 88)
    • Philadelphia, PA ('81)
    • Scranton, PA ('91-95, 02-05)
    • Syracuse, NY ('00-01)
    • Annapolis, MD ('12-13)

2 hours ago, CHRISP said:

My choice is Allentown.  It was the site of my first DCA Championships as a member, and my last as a member.

Same here regarding Allentown... first and last as a corps member for me. And my first DCA championship as the show announcer, in 1983.

I never lost a show in Allentown. LOL. Three times with Sunrisers... three championships. 6-0, prelims and finals.

But I still voted for Annapolis in this poll. :8_laughing:

• Like 2

Annapolis

1. High and steep-stands; a proper FOOTBALL stadium.
  2. Far, far more impressive telling others you were going to "DCA Championships at Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis" than... "the soccer stadium in Rochester, NY."
  3. Seafood. Seafood. Seafood.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dannyboy said:

Annapolis

2. Far, far more impressive telling others you were going to "DCA Championships at Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis" than... "the soccer stadium in Rochester, NY."

That last reason is three great reasons!!!  :tongue:

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That last reason is three great reasons!!!  :tongue:

crab cakes in the stadium box 6

17 hours ago, dannyboy said:

Annapolis

Can't argue with any of those reasons, especially the 3rd, but I did vote for Allentown - closer and still adequate, AND the car knows its way, since we have been going there for the last 40 something years or so (with some notable exceptions) for DCI East.

38 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Can't argue with any of those reasons, especially the 3rd, but I did vote for Allentown - closer and still adequate, AND the car knows its way, since we have been going there for the last 40 something years or so (with some notable exceptions) for DCI East.

yeah but it'll never happen now with the Fair as it is

Guess I'm one of the few who didn't really care for Annapolis.  Our seats were under the overhang, and we could not hear anything that came over the PA...and it wasn't really due to the noise from the concession area either, although at times that was distracting as well.  As for the previous poster that said his rooms for Williamsport were cheaper than Rochester, I have been looking for the better part of the last month and I can't find anything that was even remotely CLOSE to being as affordable as what I was paying at Rochester.  Almost everything I've seen in Williamsport is north of $150 per night, you have to get 30 miles or more away to get into the low $100's.  Air access for those of us who are not in reasonable driving distance is also problematic for Williamsport.  Seriously considering skipping 2019, already have tickets for next year or I would seriously have reconsidered that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Guess I'm one of the few who didn't really care for Annapolis.  Our seats were under the overhang, and we could not hear anything that came over the PA...and it wasn't really due to the noise from the concession area either, although at times that was distracting as well.  As for the previous poster that said his rooms for Williamsport were cheaper than Rochester, I have been looking for the better part of the last month and I can't find anything that was even remotely CLOSE to being as affordable as what I was paying at Rochester.  Almost everything I've seen in Williamsport is north of $150 per night, you have to get 30 miles or more away to get into the low $100's.  Air access for those of us who are not in reasonable driving distance is also problematic for Williamsport.  Seriously considering skipping 2019, already have tickets for next year or I would seriously have reconsidered that.

Username checks out :)

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2017 at 7:16 AM, Kamarag said:

Username checks out :)

access to an airport is accurate. Scranton or Harrisburg, not exactly public transportation close by

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

access to an airport is accurate. Scranton or Harrisburg, not exactly public transportation close by

I think Annapolis in 2012-13 and Philly in 1981 are the only two venues that were really close to what would be considered a major airport.  Oops... Roosevelt Stadium in NJ in '72, too.