Favorite City for DCA Championships, and Why?

Favorite city for DCA championships, and why?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Of the cities in which DCA championships have been held, which is your favorite?

• Milford, CT ('65)
    • Bridgeport, CT ('66-67)
    • Rochester, NY ('68-71, 73-76, 96, 06-11, 14-17)
    • Jersey City, NJ ('72)
    • Allentown, PA ('77-78, 82-87, 89-90, 97-99)
    • Hershey, PA ('79-80, 88)
    • Philadelphia, PA ('81)
    • Scranton, PA ('91-95, 02-05)
    • Syracuse, NY ('00-01)
    • Annapolis, MD ('12-13)

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, Gary Matczak said:

for the corps,.............Annapolis is the most expensive of these venues in terms of overall cost, and logistics are a nightmare,..............and the primary reasons DCA will probably never go back,.....................

The logistics issue really comes down to time/facilities.  I have hosted Blue Devils and/or Cavaliers for the past few years before the DCI Annapolis show.  I also have several other schools in our area that have hosted or are interested in hosting.  We treat hosting as an educational event for our students.  This helps keep the costs down for the corps.   An open rehearsal is a great way to motivate marching band students at the beginning of the marching band season. We also let the corps put up a souvenir stand during open rehearsals so they can make a few $ while they stay at our facility.

There are two challenges in hosting a corps for an Annapolis competition. The first is many of the Maryland schools lack the turf fields desired by most corps.  I saw some corps having to rehearse on parking lots with no access to the stadiums in Maryland schools.

The second option creates a distance issue.  As I mentioned above, I have hosted several corps over the years. However, we are in Virginia and many corps don't like the 60-90 minute drive. 

It would be great to have DCA back at Annapolis.  I fear it won't happen due to these issues along with the hotel costs.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1