When did halftime get hijacked?

13 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

This might be the most douchey post I've ever read. Good lord are you making a *lot* of assumptions.

I am not assuming what halftime is designed to be; it is for the support of the school spirit and entertainment of the football crowd, not a contest show run-through stage for the band. And all I am asking is if the halftime performances of the bands here support the school spirit and football crowd as opposed to presenting the contest show of the band?

Edited by Stu

Rough for the kids when they work so hard.  They get excited to perform for their peers, and it saddens me to hear they're valued so little in your community. 

Something I've (thankfully) never experienced as a performer or as a staff member for my school's band. 

4 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

This is why we can't have nice things. Oh well. Let the multi-page "Stu vs. DCP" commence...

:8_laughing:

'Nice things' are what Ohio State and Grambling bands both do for supporting their football crowds and school spirit at halftime. Self-service is what many high school bands do by running-through their contest shows at halftime (which usually are rather esoteric to the football crowds and do not convey school spirit).

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

'Nice things' are what Ohio State and Grambling bands both do for supporting their football crowds and school spirit at halftime. Self-service is what many high school bands do by running-through their contest shows at halftime (which usually are rather esoteric to the football crowds and do not convey school spirit).

Honestly, depends on where you live.  They're a mostly accepted fact of life in Texas, and the DCI style has been pretty much integrated into "school spirit" without bloodshed.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Our local HS does special honors - cancer survivors, 8th grade night, Senior night, etc. pre-game.  Both bands play at halftime.

Homecoming is done at halftime at all the schools in the county, and both bands run through their shows after the game.

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "football crowds" but at my school more people came to watch the band than the football team, and we had a good team.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Today I learned marching band contest shows can't be entertaining to football crowds on Friday night. Who knew?

5 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

Basically since our activity doesn't end in ball, we aren't granted a "seat at the table." When we go to the admin with concerns, or questions, about when different things may go on during halftime, etc., we are told  nothing, ahead of time, and afterwards that we need to be good supporters of the entire community. They recently tried to make homecoming during halftime, but when one of the class reunions (20 year I believe) that was going to be at the game found out, they called the admin(s) and complained. Then it got moved back to pre-game. The admin will cave to parental or community pressure, but will not even allows us to have a civil, and respectful discourse with all involved parties to be on the same page. Maybe if we start calling ourselves "Marching Band-ball" we'll get more respect.

You hit the nail on the head.  Back in my school teaching days, having an active and passionate parent organization was essential.  The years when I had the most hands-on parents were our best years in every aspect.  I saw parents get things done with the administration that teachers couldn't get done.  I think a wise music department cultivates and shows appreciation for their boosters. 

• Like 1

And it's gonna get worse.