When did halftime get hijacked?

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

And it's gonna get worse.

That article makes a good point about halftime being used as a scapegoat for other problems: over the past twenty years, college games' average length has grown by 16 minutes, but halftime length hasn't changed, so that's not the cause of the increase--and yet that's where some conferences are looking to cut.

1 hour ago, Brass Lover said:

When Football teams get the majority of funding from school districts compared to the arts, then the LEAST a marching  band can get is11 f###### minutes to perform their show. If you don't like the show go buy nachos or take a ####. That's what most people do during halftime anyway.

It is a Football game played on a Football field at a Football halftime.  The band enters the field at the half and instead of supporting the school and team with halftime music full of school spirit instead performs ‘Le Faune court dans les bois’ a-la BOA esoteric style.  Then ya’all wonder why the band gets no support and respect back from the school administration and athletic department.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I believe Broken Arrow High School in Oklahoma has two marching bands: the Tradition of Broken Arrow plays the halftime shows while the Pride of Broken Arrow plays the contests.

What an amazing program they have.

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I believe Broken Arrow High School in Oklahoma has two marching bands: the Tradition of Broken Arrow plays the halftime shows while the Pride of Broken Arrow plays the contests.

If I'm not mistaken, Dobyns-Bennett HS in Tennessee (the first TN band to make Grand National Finals in nearly two decades) performs more traditional shows for football games while they are in the process of learning their competitive production, which is debuted to the public around mid-October and is never shown to the football crowds. Let me know if this is incorrect.

40 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Easy Mike. You might give them apoplexy if those Texans discover that the rest of the world does other things on Friday nights rather than football games. 

We just got lights a few years back, so now we do Friday nights.

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

The band enters the field at the half and instead of supporting the school and team with halftime music full of school spirit instead performs ‘Le Faune court dans les bois’ a-la BOA esoteric style.  Then ya’all wonder why the band gets no support and respect back from the school administration and athletic department.

Too esoteric for me. What is "Wildlife Runs Through the Woods"? Google turns up only your post.

Most non-competing bands, in my experience, play pop and rock music for halftime shows. (So do many competing bands. First show I ever played, back in 1986, was "New York, New York", "On Broadway", and Neil Diamond's "America".) Which is familiar to the audience, but unrelated, as far as I can tell, to "school spirit".

42 minutes ago, MikeD said:

We do our competition show at games, so they are about that length here too. 

My alma mater's contest shows are always at least ten minutes long, so when, occasionally, they perform it at halftime, they cut out a section.

Though if they play the competition show at games, like as not it's afterwards, not during halftime.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Too esoteric for me. What is "Wildlife Runs Through the Woods"? Google turns up only your post.

Most non-competing bands, in my experience, play pop and rock music for halftime shows. (So do many competing bands. First show I ever played, back in 1986, was "New York, New York", "On Broadway", and Neil Diamond's "America".) Which is familiar to the audience, but unrelated, as far as I can tell, to "school spirit".

Just made up the title in French; it just represents the type of thematic shows which are designed for contests not halftimes at Football games. Halftime is, or supposed to be, a respet for the fans while the dance team dances and the band plays spirited up-beat songs for fans to sing along with; all for the purpose of entertaining the Football crowd with team and school spirit as the fans get in line for nachos, stretch their legs in the stands, or go to restroom. Again, it is a Football game played on a Football field with a Football halftime; not an arts venue of musical refinement.